very 1st world problem

Linksys120n
Go to solution Solved by Linksys120n,

28 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I believe ASUS also has a 10Gbit Ethernet adapter targeted towards people like you but those are ~$100

seems like this is my best option at about 100 dollars... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1344847-REG/asus_90ig0440_ma0r00_xg_c100c_10g_network.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgKzwBRCjARIsABBbFuhxuDQF6U1DH5cKGsSmrUj3A0X307UUwcTAIETMkVncTidVhG6bZTwaArROEALw_wcB

Holding out for better deals though...

Why was this kind-of hard to find though?

I have gigabit download from my isp... however talking to the tech he said during non peak hours it can spike up to 1.5gbps or so... problem is my desktop or more specifically my X470 motherboard, caps out at exactly 1gbps and no more.

The Modem DOES have at least one 10gbps port. as tested on my friends laptop and stranger than that, the isp tells the truth. He got 1.1gbps on fast.com

But I can't be spending much on my solution, For a while I did spoof load balancing by plugging in to 2 ports on both sides and doing some mumbo jumbo in power shell... but it was very half assed..

TLDR:

WANTED: 2 or more gbps over standard cat6.

Distance 1 meter.

Using PCIE or USB3 dongle.

Budget: about 25ish USD.

derp

You'll need an mGig switch and a mGig capable port which are going to cost a TON more than $25

Even a native 10G copper PCIe card is going to run at least $90 to $100+

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

You'll need an mGig switch and a mGig capable port which are going to cost a TON more than $25

The biggest issue is you need something that supports 2.5Gbps which is still pretty new and likely won't show up as really common for another 5 years on most consumer stuff

There are some 2.5Gbps adapters out there which are like $50 but the other side needs to support that as well otherwise you'll just negotiate to 1Gbps.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I have seen 2.5gbps and 5gbps cat5/cat6 pcie cards before. I just never asked about the price.

Also even as used server stuff on ebay?

derp

I can't remember the brand name but there are a couple Ethernet based 10Gbit NICs that I believe are sub-$100 but you're going to find it tough to find any sub $25.

Plus with what you're probably paying in a monthly bill to the ISP I'm not sure why your budget is so tight on this type of expenditure.

Just now, Linksys120n said:

I have seen 2.5gbps and 5gbps cat5/cat6 pcie cards before. I just never asked about the price.

Also even as used server stuff on ebay?

See my later reply. The other side must support those intermediate speeds.

Some used server stuff came to mind but most of that is all fiber based leaving you with a need for a copper SFP+ 10Gb module

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

The biggest issue is you need something that supports 2.5Gbps which is still pretty new and likely won't show up as really common for another 5 years on most consumer stuff

There are some 2.5Gbps adapters out there which are like $50 but the other side needs to support that as well otherwise you'll just negotiate to 1Gbps.

ah somebody only read the tldr... the modem has a >1gbps port. as tested for with a friends laptop. (unless he somehow spoofed it)

derp

ah somebody only read the tldr... the modem has a >1gbps port. as tested for with a friends laptop. (unless he somehow spoofed it)

Again, just because the one side is 10Gbps capable does NOT mean it supports mGig (2.5 and 5Gbps). mGig came out in the past couple of years and even a ton of enterprise stuff barely sees it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Plus with what you're probably paying in a monthly bill to the ISP I'm not sure why your budget is so tight on this type of expenditure.

Bad... life... choices?

derp

Bad... life... choices?

...fair enough.

I'd look into eBay. SFP+ NICs are cheap (that $20~25 range) but you'd need a SFP+ to Ethernet transceiver and those will usually run you about another $50~60. So perhaps you can find a second hand Intel X540-T1 or as I was trying to locate a Aquantia AQtion 10G. I expect they have Windows drivers for it.

I believe ASUS also has a 10Gbit Ethernet adapter targeted towards people like you but those are ~$100

28 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

seems like this is my best option at about 100 dollars... https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1344847-REG/asus_90ig0440_ma0r00_xg_c100c_10g_network.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgKzwBRCjARIsABBbFuhxuDQF6U1DH5cKGsSmrUj3A0X307UUwcTAIETMkVncTidVhG6bZTwaArROEALw_wcB

Holding out for better deals though...

Why was this kind-of hard to find though?

Edited by Linksys120n
adding quote, marking solved.

derp

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

...fair enough.

Put simply, I already spent 100 dollars on a fancy-ass french press coffee maker and a 30 dollar bag of... not madrenas (because they don't sell my flavor anymore) coffee.

derp

What kind of laptop does he have? I wasn't aware of common laptops with 10gbe.

What is the model of the modem? If it has a SFP+ port like below on the LAN side, you could get a $10 direct attach cable and a $20 SFP+ PCIe card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amphenol-571540002-2-meters-SFP-10GbE-Direct-Attach-Passive-Copper-Cable/273812437007?epid=1042222056&hash=item3fc07e380f:g:4M8AAOSwH9JeC3V7:sc:USPSPriority!68872!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/110-1107-30-CHELSIO-A0-SINGLE-PORT-10GB-SFP-PCIE-ADAPTER/264161974028?epid=1842120245&hash=item3d8147d70c:g:184AAOSwTvNd7-vD

Image result for sfp+ port

In theory you could also get the above PCIe card, and this transceiver, and go over a Cat6 or better yet Cat6a patch cable. However, I know there are weird firmware things where some SFPs don't always talk to the cards correctly, and its hit or miss if they will work... You are supposed to buy SFPs and transceivers that are certified to work together. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SFP-10GBASE-T-Transceiver-Copper-RJ45-Module-Compatible-Cisco-SFP-10G-T-S-Re/133224935395?hash=item1f04d32fe3:g:oK4AAOSwIh5du~fs

3 hours ago, Scheer said:

Jargan even beyond my knowledge...

But why doe?

I kind of, somewhat understand the what.

But why have we been stuck on the 1gbps barrier in the home for like 15 years???

google fibre has been around over a decade and my ISP was one of the first in my tri-state area to offer gigabit download over copper for 5 or more years now...

So with gigabit download quickly becoming quite a normal thing, why is 10gigabit nics smelling of intel?

wait! does intel own the right to 10gbps in the home???

derp

21 minutes ago, Linksys120n said:

But why doe?

I kind of, somewhat understand the what.

But why have we been stuck on the 1gbps barrier in the home for like 15 years???

google fibre has been around over a decade and my ISP was one of the first in my tri-state area to offer gigabit download over copper for 5 or more years now...

So with gigabit download quickly becoming quite a normal thing, why is 10gigabit nics smelling of intel?

wait! does intel own the right to 10gbps in the home???

You mean with Google Fiber being available in a grand total of less than 10 cities in 10 years why isn't it the norm yet?

It's because incumbent ISPs either don't want to invest the money or don't care to invest the money because for the other 99% of the US there is only one choice, MAYBE two choices if you're lucky, they have no competition to speak of. Seriously, do a search for the lawsuits and bullshit the likes of AT&T, Spectrum, and Comcast threw at Google Fiber to do everything in their power to stop them until finally Google just gave up.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

...fair enough.

I'd look into eBay. SFP+ NICs are cheap (that $20~25 range) but you'd need a SFP+ to Ethernet transceiver and those will usually run you about another $50~60. So perhaps you can find a second hand Intel X540-T1 or as I was trying to locate a Aquantia AQtion 10G. I expect they have Windows drivers for it.

The ASUS cards just use Aquantia chipsets anyway. eg the ASUS XG-C100C = Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

You mean with Google Fiber being available in a grand total of less than 10 cities in 10 years why isn't it the norm yet?

It's because incumbent ISPs either don't want to invest the money or don't care to invest the money because for the other 99% of the US there is only one choice, MAYBE two choices if you're lucky, they have no competition to speak of. Seriously, do a search for the lawsuits and bullshit the likes of AT&T, Spectrum, and Comcast threw at Google Fiber to do everything in their power to stop them until finally Google just gave up.

No? just no? that was not my question at all...

derp