Anyone know why my 2tb Barracuda doesn’t show up using SATA?

SquarerSky843

My Barrucuda comes up with an error when I plug it into the motherboard using SATA that it is not initialized and migrated but when I use an external dock it works fine.  Is there any way I could fix this?  Tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, different SATA ports and cables, etc.

Have you tried different ports?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

43 minutes ago, NoMansLand said:

Are you using Windows? Also is this showing up in your BIOS?

Yes, but I haven’t tried looking in the BIOS since it’s pretty basic in terms of what it displays as it’s a Dell and it stops showing up in Windows sometimes.  I could try it in my pc with a MSI Z370 but it would be a bit of a hassle but I don’t think it would make a difference.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Have you tried different ports?

I’ve tried all the ports, even the one where there is a working ssd plugged in.

1 minute ago, SquarerSky843 said:

Yes, but I haven’t tried looking in the BIOS since it’s pretty basic in terms of what it displays as it’s a Dell and it stops showing up in Windows sometimes.  I could try it in my pc with a MSI Z370 but it would be a bit of a hassle but I don’t think it would make a difference.

Check your BIOS if it's showing up in your BIOS then you have a Good HDD, just needs to be setup in Disk Manager under Windows.

How ever if it doesnt show up on the BIOS change your SATA Cord and maybe also the power connector to it.

You can always check it by utilizing Ultimate Boot CD and you'll need to use Rufus to burn it to a USB.

I finally got into the bios, but it does not show up regardless of the cables and it only shows up when it is in the dock.  I might have to just get another one.

Then you've probably got a defective drive (very common, I've already bought 3 DOA HDDs in my life). If it's a new drive I'd RMA it, they are usually replaced without asking any questions. But if it's out of warranty you'll unfortunately have to buy a new one.

There is no replacement for RGB except more RGB ?