How to use STDIN and STDOUT in linux?

babadoctor
Go to solution Solved by igormp,

Simply put, when you're running a program from the command line, anything that it spits out into your terminal is the content it wrote to STDOUT. Whatever you input into your terminal is the STDIN.

You can pass the STDOUT content of one program into the STDIN of another through pipes (represented by the operator | ), you can read more about it here.

One example would be: 

echo hi | base64

Where "echo hi" would write something to the STDOUT, but, since we're using a pipe, it's actually being redirected as the STDIN to base64, which reads and and spits out the string "hi" as a base64 encoded string.

I want to use STDOUT from this program called streamlink and send it to the STDIN of another program that uploads files to internet archive.

How do you typically accomplish this?

Does it involve asynchronous code?

The help page for streamlink says it supports STDOUT

https://streamlink.github.io/cli.html#cmdoption-stdout

And the help page for internet archive says it supports stdin

https://archive.org/services/docs/api/internetarchive/cli.html

but... how do you tell it which STDIN I want to use? 

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Simply put, when you're running a program from the command line, anything that it spits out into your terminal is the content it wrote to STDOUT. Whatever you input into your terminal is the STDIN.

You can pass the STDOUT content of one program into the STDIN of another through pipes (represented by the operator | ), you can read more about it here.

One example would be: 

echo hi | base64

Where "echo hi" would write something to the STDOUT, but, since we're using a pipe, it's actually being redirected as the STDIN to base64, which reads and and spits out the string "hi" as a base64 encoded string.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

2 minutes ago, igormp said:

One example would be: 

echo hi | base64

Ohhhh I see.

Thank you!

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"