How do all these different ""custom computer" companies stay afloat

SavageNuke

all the "PC" shops in my area have usually closed up just as quick as they've opened. there are a few that have lasted. they have switched to mostly phone repairs and sales. 

Ryzen 2600-OC 3.9                         Cooler Master 650w gold modular        1TB  860 Evo SSD                   NZXT H500        

Zotac RTX 2060 1980mhz OC         CoolerMaster 240mm AIO cooler          2TB Seagate Barracuda             3DMark

16GB Trident Z neo 3466mh            ASUS Strix B450-F                                240GB SP NVME Boot drive

Just now, Kilrah said:

Thing is, the number of people who care about putting their hands on stuff and are ready to pay the small extra for the privilege has reduced drastically.

Not infrequently I’ve seen people go to a storefront, do their shopping and putting on of hands, then simply photograph the item, and go home and order it from a non meatspace website once they have determined their sizing and/or chosen which product they want.  I suspect retail may change when storefronts die completely.  There won’t be any way to do the putting on of hands.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Not infrequently I’ve seen people go to a storefront, do their shopping and putting on of hands, then simply photograph the item, and go home and order it from a non meatspace website once they have determined their sizing and/or chosen which product they want.  I suspect retail may change when storefronts die completely.  There won’t be any way to do the putting on of hands.

exactly. ive been guilty of it. go to best buy to try out the headphones. then go to amazon for 3/4 of the price.. 

for me, without a storefront. I use the online marketplaces. FB, craigslis, let go.t for exposure. but there is so much clutter. so many ads. so many trolls

Ryzen 2600-OC 3.9                         Cooler Master 650w gold modular        1TB  860 Evo SSD                   NZXT H500        

Zotac RTX 2060 1980mhz OC         CoolerMaster 240mm AIO cooler          2TB Seagate Barracuda             3DMark

16GB Trident Z neo 3466mh            ASUS Strix B450-F                                240GB SP NVME Boot drive

12 minutes ago, SavageNuke said:

exactly. ive been guilty of it. go to best buy to try out the headphones. then go to amazon for 3/4 of the price.. 

for me, without a storefront. I use the online marketplaces. FB, craigslis, let go.t for exposure. but there is so much clutter. so many ads. so many trolls

Every system has its problems.  There’s very little shoplifting I suspect.  Meatspace storefronts call it “stock shrinkage” and consider it a standard cost.

I read once the reason stores like sams club et.al. Work the way they do is to minimize stock shrinkage.  The products are all large because it makes them hard to hide under a coat.  There is a “membership fee” mostly to keep casual folk from wandering in.  If you can afford the membership fee you’re less likely to be so poverty stricken as to attempt to steal food.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Every system has its problems.  There’s very little shoplifting I suspect.  Meatspace storefronts call it “stock shrinkage” and consider it a standard cost.

I read once the reason stores like sams club et.al. Work the way they do is to minimize stock shrinkage.  The products are all large because it makes them hard to hide under a coat.  There is a “membership fee” mostly to keep casual folk from wandering in.  If you can afford the membership fee you’re less likely to be so poverty stricken as to attempt to steal food.

that is def. a part of it. its like free 2 play games. they attract people from every crowd... so the asshats come out.. 

Computer parts has always been a cut throat industry, I have seen many shops go out of business, but the ones that have lasted the longest around Melbourne still have bricks and mortar store fronts.   The thing with it for survival is turn over, you must keep the customers coming back.  Larger shops like harvey norman, office works, jbhifi (and their US equivalents) will always stay in business selling HP etc because there are significantly more buyers than builders and these stores also sell other goods people don;t want to order online, (like washing machines, tvs etc).  

Custom builders are a different kettle of fish,  I don;t know why they stay in business, but can only assume another part of there business keeps them afloat tor that they sell enough to stay in business.  Comparing what an individual can do in their local community to what a larger outfit can do in their state, won't give you much insight into the feasibility of custom builders.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

that's what I originally was asking about. custom builders. there aren't enough people out there looking for a one of a kind 3 thousand dollar rig. 

so im getting from this... you have to do other things. not just customs or refurbs.

thanks everyone. 

As many people said its tech support that allows companies to stay in business.

In addition to low margins, computer parts depreciate rapidily and stock can be an issue.

Most small companies "build to order" but most people dont want to wait for parts to be shipped and be assembled when they could go to best buy and get a computer same day.

I would say small computer oem. have died out a long time ago.