New CPU, motherboard, and RAM; PC boots but peripherals not responding

I recently got a new CPU (Ryzen 3700x), motherboard (Asus Prime X570-P) and RAM (2x8 DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance). I'm also using an Asus 1070 Ti and a Thermaltake 600w PSU.

After installing everything, the PC boots but the monitor, mouse and keyboard do not respond at all. As such, I have no idea if the PC is booting to windows because I can't see, and I cannot use F8 to boot in safe mode because they keyboard is not responding.

I have tried making sure everything is tightly connected. I have reseated the RAM at least a couple times, and have tried putting them into various slot combinations. The only thing I have not tried is using each stick on its own to see if one of them is bad, but that will be the next thing I try.

I've been told to try to reset my CMOS using a screwdriver to bridge two pins on my motherboard, but I'd prefer to eliminate my other options first as I haven't done that before and I don't really feel comfortable messing with it.

Hoping this is something simple that I've overlooked. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, and happy holidays.

2 minutes ago, MZA said:

I recently got a new CPU (Ryzen 3700x), motherboard (Asus Prime X570-P) and RAM (2x8 DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance). I'm also using an Asus 1070 Ti and a Thermaltake 600w PSU.

After installing everything, the PC boots but the monitor, mouse and keyboard do not respond at all. As such, I have no idea if the PC is booting to windows because I can't see, and I cannot use F8 to boot in safe mode because they keyboard is not responding.

I have tried making sure everything is tightly connected. I have reseated the RAM at least a couple times, and have tried putting them into various slot combinations. The only thing I have not tried is using each stick on its own to see if one of them is bad, but that will be the next thing I try.

I've been told to try to reset my CMOS using a screwdriver to bridge two pins on my motherboard, but I'd prefer to eliminate my other options first as I haven't done that before and I don't really feel comfortable messing with it.

Hoping this is something simple that I've overlooked. Thanks in advance for any help you can give, and happy holidays.

Resetting the CMOS isn't a bad idea but if it's brand new it shouldn't have any issues. Do all your components start up and all fans spin when the computer comes on? Make sure every power cable is connected to the board firmly, reseat if you have to.

Is your display connection in your graphics card and not the board? Try using any usb connectors you have from your case or switching which ports your in. I recommend the 3.2 usb ports under the ethernet jack. If that fails try removing the graphics card and most of the ram. Reseat the CPU as well. Your goal now is to make it post with minimal hardware then see if you can get it to work. Then build up to see what was the issue.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

1 minute ago, Dougarooo said:

Resetting the CMOS isn't a bad idea but if it's brand new it shouldn't have any issues. Do all your components start up and all fans spin when the computer comes on? Make sure every power cable is connected to the board firmly, reseat if you have to.

Is your display connection in your graphics card and not the board? Try using any usb connectors you have from your case or switching which ports your in. I recommend the 3.2 usb ports under the ethernet jack. If that fails try removing the graphics card and most of the ram. Reseat the CPU as well. Your goal now is to make it post with minimal hardware then see if you can get it to work. Then build up to see what was the issue.

All the fans seem to be working. All the components are working from what I can see; indicator lights coming on for everything that has one.

Monitor was plugged into GPU via HDMI, and I've tried bouncing the mouse and keyboard to a couple different USB slots including those near the Ethernet port, no change.

I just tried again with GPU removed and monitor plugged into the on-board HDMI slot. Also removed one stick of RAM. Same result. No response from monitor or mouse/keyboard. And just to clarify in case anyone asks, all of the peripherals/monitor worked perfectly prior to switching in the new hardware

1 minute ago, MZA said:

All the fans seem to be working. All the components are working from what I can see; indicator lights coming on for everything that has one.

Monitor was plugged into GPU via HDMI, and I've tried bouncing the mouse and keyboard to a couple different USB slots including those near the Ethernet port, no change.

I just tried again with GPU removed and monitor plugged into the on-board HDMI slot. Also removed one stick of RAM. Same result. No response from monitor or mouse/keyboard. And just to clarify in case anyone asks, all of the peripherals/monitor worked perfectly prior to switching in the new hardware

So my next step would be to take out the cpu, make sure there's no debris on the cpu or the socket, and reseat that puppy. Maybe even swap that one stick of ram in there for the other one to try that. Again making sure all the power connections on the motherboard are seated properly. If this doesn't fix it then it could be doa hardware.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

2 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

So my next step would be to take out the cpu, make sure there's no debris on the cpu or the socket, and reseat that puppy. Maybe even swap that one stick of ram in there for the other one to try that. Again making sure all the power connections on the motherboard are seated properly. If this doesn't fix it then it could be doa hardware.

Ok so bit of a problem (or maybe a big one). Just tried to unseat the CPU heat sink, and when it came off, the CPU itself was stuck to it via thermal paste. Any recommendations on a safe way to remove it?

Just now, MZA said:

Ok so bit of a problem (or maybe a big one). Just tried to unseat the CPU heat sink, and when it came off, the CPU itself was stuck to it via thermal paste. Any recommendations on a safe way to remove it?

This is not that big of a deal. I presume you must have been using some cheaper thermal paste. Try to gently remove it from the heat sink by grabbing the cpu by the edges. Once it's removed: clean both the CPU and heat sink with isopropyl alcohol and reapply a small amount back on it when you reseat it.

2 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

This is not that big of a deal. I presume you must have been using some cheaper thermal paste. Try to gently remove it from the heat sink by grabbing the cpu by the edges. Once it's removed: clean both the CPU and heat sink with isopropyl alcohol and reapply a small amount back on it when you reseat it.

The CPU came with thermal paste pre-applied from the factory. I don't have any on-hand so I'll have to buy some and start over again tomorrow. I appreciate your help!

1 minute ago, MZA said:

The CPU came with thermal paste pre-applied from the factory. I don't have any on-hand so I'll have to buy some and start over again tomorrow. I appreciate your help!

If you're going to put it on pause I recommend opening a new thread when you try again as trying to reply to this post will not get much more view.

Please make sure the pins on the CPU or the socket didn't get bent when this happened as well. Good luck!

53 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Any recommendations on a safe way to remove it?

Take the hair drier from your mother and heat the connection of the CPU and heat sink.

This will make it a lot easier.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.