ASUS baord RGB Question

TOdom

Is it possible to control an ASUS motherboard's RGB effects without having to use aura sync? Seriously, I downloaded Aura sync, and after about 2 hours of painstaking troubleshooting just to get the software to open, it isn't showing my motherboard as an "Aura Sync compatible" component (even though it says it on the fkn box). I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a simple RGB controller and control my board's RGB effects that way

Aura sync opens maybe one out of 50 times that I double click it (tried running as admin) and when it does eventually open, it tells me to plug in compatible components, even though my board (asus z370 a-ii prime) is definitely compatible as shown on the box

Is everything on your mobo and PC up to date?

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

6 minutes ago, Statik said:

Is everything on your mobo and PC up to date?

Yeah. I really want to know if I'll be able to control it with iCUE or something other than Aura Sync but it doesn't look promising

3 minutes ago, TOdom said:

Yeah. I really want to know if I'll be able to control it with iCUE or something other than Aura Sync but it doesn't look promising

iCUE can really only control Corsair stuff. There's apparently some 3rd party library you can add to let it control other stuff, but I've not tried it. My Prime Z390-A only shows up in the BIOS for RGB control, as I can't run Aura Sync and iCUE at the same time, as it causes iCUE to stop responding to inputs for some reason. That being said, it's just the board light for me, so I care not.

To answer the question at hand, no. Unless the RGB controller somehow can hook into the board for direct control, no. Most RGB controllers only control whatever lights are connected to the controller, and that's it. I've yet to see one that can control lights NOT connected to the controller.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

4 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

iCUE can really only control Corsair stuff. There's apparently some 3rd party library you can add to let it control other stuff, but I've not tried it. My Prime Z390-A only shows up in the BIOS for RGB control, as I can't run Aura Sync and iCUE at the same time, as it causes iCUE to stop responding to inputs for some reason. That being said, it's just the board light for me, so I care not.

To answer the question at hand, no. Unless the RGB controller somehow can hook into the board for direct control, no. Most RGB controllers only control whatever lights are connected to the controller, and that's it. I've yet to see one that can control lights NOT connected to the controller.

That's about what I was expecting. Any tips on getting aura sync to uh,,, sync? xd

1 minute ago, TOdom said:

That's about what I was expecting. Any tips on getting aura sync to uh,,, sync? xd

Short answer, don't.... Like, I guess it will depend on how much Aura Sync stuff you have. I literally only have my board, so I shut off the lights in the BIOS and left it. Everything else in my system is Corsair iCUE, so I control all that. I can get Aura Sync to pick up my board 90% of the time, but it doesn't seem to play well with iCUE so I ignore it. Seeing posts across this forums, and elsewhere, Aura Sync seems to be hella buggy, like worse than iCUE or (sometimes) NZXT Cam.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

1 minute ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

Short answer, don't.... Like, I guess it will depend on how much Aura Sync stuff you have. I literally only have my board, so I shut off the lights in the BIOS and left it. Everything else in my system is Corsair iCUE, so I control all that. I can get Aura Sync to pick up my board 90% of the time, but it doesn't seem to play well with iCUE so I ignore it. Seeing posts across this forums, and elsewhere, Aura Sync seems to be hella buggy, like worse than iCUE or (sometimes) NZXT Cam.

Alright, so say I get rid of the MOBO lights cuz they're too hard to make work. Now I go out and buy some shiny new RGB strips. I have RGB corsair RAM. How do I get them all to play together? Do I just need iCUE?

4 minutes ago, TOdom said:

Alright, so say I get rid of the MOBO lights cuz they're too hard to make work. Now I go out and buy some shiny new RGB strips. I have RGB corsair RAM. How do I get them all to play together? Do I just need iCUE?

If you stick with Corsair for everything else, yes. iCUE can control ALL Corsair RGB products. Lighting strips, RGB RAM, RGB fans, the i series of power supplies, their AIOS, even their ambient lighting kit (the LS100). 
image.thumb.png.c74c4ae02d876f70a14efd0f0405693c.png
Example: 

If you stick with Corsair for everything else, yes. iCUE can control ALL Corsair RGB products. Lighting strips, RGB RAM, RGB fans, the i series of power supplies, their AIOS, even their ambient lighting kit (the LS100). 
image.thumb.png.c74c4ae02d876f70a14efd0f0405693c.png
Example: 

Just gotta make sure my strips are iCUE compatible and I'm ready to go? Sounds good, thanks for your help!

Just now, TOdom said:

Just gotta make sure my strips are iCUE compatible and I'm ready to go? Sounds good, thanks for your help!

Just use Corsair's stuff, and it's guaranteed. Their strips are super easy to hook up to Commander Pro, or Lightning Node Pro. Their ecosystem is closed, so afaik, there's no boards out their with iCUE headers, or any 3rd party stuff compatible with iCUE.

3 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

Just use Corsair's stuff, and it's guaranteed. Their strips are super easy to hook up to Commander Pro, or Lightning Node Pro. Their ecosystem is closed, so afaik, there's no boards out their with iCUE headers, or any 3rd party stuff compatible with iCUE.

Yea, my board has a 4 pin RGB header, but the corsair RGB strips I'm looking at are 3 pin... Can you buy an adapter for it?

Yea, my board has a 4 pin RGB header, but the corsair RGB strips I'm looking at are 3 pin... Can you buy an adapter for it?

No. You have to use their stuff. Yes, it ends up costing a bit more, and it can be a bit more cumbersome to link up, however you get considerably better control, and more consistency that way. Once you're in their ecosystem, it's best to just stick in it for all RGB components so you have a central control spot. So, for their RGB strips, you'll want either the Lightning Node Pro, or Commander Pro + their RGB strip kit. 

No. You have to use their stuff. Yes, it ends up costing a bit more, and it can be a bit more cumbersome to link up, however you get considerably better control, and more consistency that way. Once you're in their ecosystem, it's best to just stick in it for all RGB components so you have a central control spot. So, for their RGB strips, you'll want either the Lightning Node Pro, or Commander Pro + their RGB strip kit. 

Those have 3 pin ports and my board has a 4 pin RGB header. Is it possible to just plug it in the 3 pin port to the 4 pin header or will I run into issues there?

Those have 3 pin ports and my board has a 4 pin RGB header. Is it possible to just plug it in the 3 pin port to the 4 pin header or will I run into issues there?

You straight up, cannot. As I said, you HAVE to use their stuff. The Commander, and Lightning Node Pros are their RGB hubs/controllers and used for all of their RGB stuff fans and lights. The exception, is the AIOs are self contained. You cannot plug their RGB strips into anything other than the Lightning Node Pro, or Commander Pro.

You straight up, cannot. As I said, you HAVE to use their stuff. The Commander, and Lightning Node Pros are their RGB hubs/controllers and used for all of their RGB stuff fans and lights. The exception, is the AIOs are self contained. You cannot plug their RGB strips into anything other than the Lightning Node Pro, or Commander Pro.

Yea I knew I had to use their stuff, I didn't know if I would need their controller for it though. So NONE of the stuff that I want to control using iCUE can come off my board and it ALL has to go into the Corsair RGB controller? Just making sure I'm understanding all this right

2 minutes ago, TOdom said:

Yea I knew I had to use their stuff, I didn't know if I would need their controller for it though. So NONE of the stuff that I want to control using iCUE can come off my board and it ALL has to go into the Corsair RGB controller? Just making sure I'm understanding all this right

So, their AIOs are self contained, and control off their own connections, ultimately connecting via a USB header connection to the board for full control. The RAM is controlled through iCUE communicating with it. All peripherals do the same. Only the Lighting strips, and RGB fans have to go into the LNP, or CP. The LS100 is fully self contained and connects via USB. If you skip their RGB fans or strips, you need neither the LNP or CP, as the rest of it, doesn't have RGB headers that need to go to anything else.

So, for Iris, her 3 front Light Loop 120's are connected to the Lightning Node Pro, which is then connected to Lighting Channel 2 on my Commander Pro. Then Channel 1, has the 4 RGB strips (daisy-chained) connected to it.

image.png

So, their AIOs are self contained, and control off their own connections, ultimately connecting via a USB header connection to the board for full control. The RAM is controlled through iCUE communicating with it. All peripherals do the same. Only the Lighting strips, and RGB fans have to go into the LNP, or CP. The LS100 is fully self contained and connects via USB. If you skip their RGB fans or strips, you need neither the LNP or CP, as the rest of it, doesn't have RGB headers that need to go to anything else.

So, for Iris, her 3 front Light Loop 120's are connected to the Lightning Node Pro, which is then connected to Lighting Channel 2 on my Commander Pro. Then Channel 1, has the 4 RGB strips (daisy-chained) connected to it.

image.png

In other words yes. Cuz I don't have an AIO and all I want are RGB strips and Fans LMAO

11 minutes ago, TOdom said:

In other words yes. Cuz I don't have an AIO and all I want are RGB strips and Fans LMAO

Yep. I'd get the Commander Pro for simplicity. It comes with 2 channels for RGB control. 1 will power their RGB kit, the other will connect to the Lightning Node Pro that comes with the Commander Pro. It will then control the RGB for the fans. Then, the Commander Pro has fan headers which you will plug the actual fan cables into, to allow for speed control.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:54 PM, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

Yep. I'd get the Commander Pro for simplicity. It comes with 2 channels for RGB control. 1 will power their RGB kit, the other will connect to the Lightning Node Pro that comes with the Commander Pro. It will then control the RGB for the fans. Then, the Commander Pro has fan headers which you will plug the actual fan cables into, to allow for speed control.

If I want the commander pro, 6 rgb fans, and an LED strip set it's gonna run me $300. What the fUCK?

18 hours ago, TOdom said:

If I want the commander pro, 6 rgb fans, and an LED strip set it's gonna run me $300. What the fUCK?

Never said their stuff was cheap. Yes, it's expensive, but it's also the best RGB Ecosystem, imo. Keep in mind, the Commander pro is both a fan hub, fan controller, and RGB controller all in one package. The fans are the expensive part, in all honesty. You can always go with someone else, and then see if the RGB can be controlled from another piece of software, but that's pretty hit or miss.

4 hours ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

Never said their stuff was cheap. Yes, it's expensive, but it's also the best RGB Ecosystem, imo. Keep in mind, the Commander pro is both a fan hub, fan controller, and RGB controller all in one package. The fans are the expensive part, in all honesty. You can always go with someone else, and then see if the RGB can be controlled from another piece of software, but that's pretty hit or miss.

There's a massive difference between expensive and over priced

I mean, it's a matter of opinion. No other ecosystem works as well, or seamlessly as theirs. You pay for the ease of use, and knowing all pieces will work together, and be detected. Asus has the next largest ecosystem and their software is buggy as heck, as evidenced by the many forum posts here. If you want to spend little, hit up AliExpress, Alibaba, etc, and grab the cheap USB controlled stuff that uses no software, and has no real integration.

Certainly there are more cost effective solutions, but there's also less cost effective solutions, and just less effective solutions overall. So, you get what you pay for. If it's outside your budget, then, you're gonna need to risk the various "Aura sync compatible" products out there, and pray the software works for once and you've already had issues with that.

I'm not saying they are the be all, end all, nor are they within most people's budget. However, no one does it as well as they do, imho.