DIY NAS brend new or from my old PC

Hi,

I'm kind of new on this, but I want to build a NAS to store my important files such as photos, documents, videos...

Need to have:

• Redundancy so I won't lose data
  • 1 Gigabit LAN card (I have 100mbit and 1Gbit lan in the house)

Nice to have:

• A WM to run Linux like LUbuntu (1gig of ram is plenty for it)
  • Maybe a Plex or a DLNA server
  • new Gaming rig (my old Gaming rig that I will give to my son, Gforce 760 TI, 12gig of ram, 320gb SSD, i5-2500)

List of the hardware I have in the old PC:

I have a budjet of around 2000$ canadian $ and I would like to get a new gaming computer with that budget too.

Here is my plan A:

for +-800$ use the old computer and add two PCIE x1 4 connector SATA 6GB controler at 40$ each or one PCIE x1 8 connectors SATA 6GB controler at 115$ with 6 HDD WD RED 3TB NAS at 109$ or 6HDD WD RED 4TB NAS at 119$ (can I put green or blue WD in the NAS since its only a home NAS for 2-3 devices) with freeNAS or Unraid install on the old HDD 320GB

and for +-1300$ buy a new Gaming rig (inspired by the 900 US$ build), I already have 3 monitor, mouse, keyboard and speaker:

OR Plan B for +- 1100$

Base on DIY NAS: EconoNAS 2019 (415$ without HDD and 654$ or 714$ for the HDD) only build a new NAS for scratch and wait for the Gamming RIG :(

Should I go with plan A or B or if you guys have some ideal for a plan C

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

To attempt to summarize to see if I got the basics here:

So you save ~200 by building a nas out of your old rig for(?man hours) running Linux (got any experience with that?) which you will then drop on a gaming rig to give it some more zip.

or

you just buy a nas and have less money for the gaming rig and give the old machine to your kid.

The NAS sounds like a hobby project.  Would you enjoy doing it?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Yes that summarize it, and yes I have a little bit of experience with Linux but not with raid/zfs nas stuff.

Need a NAS and if possible get a new Gamming Rig for my self so I can give my old one to the kid.

So the kid will have a Gaming computer and I will have one.

NAS as a Project, yup.  I was going to install Unraid do some testing and FreeNAS and after that choose the best one.  Unless I go with a QNAP or synologysy or Asustor.

21 hours ago, KinKin Qc said:

Yes that summarize it, and yes I have a little bit of experience with Linux but not with raid/zfs nas stuff.

Need a NAS and if possible get a new Gamming Rig for my self so I can give my old one to the kid.

So the kid will have a Gaming computer and I will have one.

NAS as a Project, yup.  I was going to install Unraid do some testing and FreeNAS and after that choose the best one.  Unless I go with a QNAP or synologysy or Asustor.

It's not that hard. I have a couple guides on both.

I'll just make some notes that it's not recommended to run FreeNAS in a VM. If it's just to toy around with go ahead but I wouldn't pour your important documents into it unless it's running native. However if you want to play with Virtual Machines I wouldn't recommend FreeNAS. It uses Bhyve as a hypervisor and it's terrible. Better off looking into PROXMOX or Debian+QEMU.

Is a Asus P5B with 4gb of ram and a Intel Core2 6600 powerfull enough to run freeNAS with 6 HDD 3TB in zFS2?

If you are going to upgrade to 10g in future: make sure to have have enough PCIe x8 slots and lanes available.

also: if you buy a Razen 3600 CPU: buy a x570 mainboard and not a b450.

19 hours ago, KinKin Qc said:

Is a Asus P5B with 4gb of ram and a Intel Core2 6600 powerfull enough to run freeNAS with 6 HDD 3TB in zFS2?

Would it help if I said I know people who run freeNas on beagle bones (or maybe only Pi’s? I dunno)?  I don’t know how WELL it runs but they do it.

Edited by Bombastinator
Qualification added

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

19 hours ago, KinKin Qc said:

If all you want it to do is be a bare, basic SMB or NFS network share with or without SSH/SFTP it should be enough for one or two clients.

If you start having people stream videos off of it, PLEX, a minecraft server, deduplication, snapshots, etc. You will want more RAM (8GB+) and I would advise a quad-core at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry for the delay I was outside of town, but I went with plan B (CPU + RAM + HDD with 2 kingston DataTraveler Micro USB 3.1 32GB).