Thermal Throttling? Maybe?

MyComputerAlwaysScrewed

Old H115i was hitting 85 c (185 f) on just League of Legends, so I figured something is wrong. Replaced H115i with H115i Platinum.

What I did so far is changed thermal paste, replaced cooler from H115i to brand new H115i Platinum. Then changed USB 2.0 internal connector that the H115i was connected to. Then I moved the pump of H115i from fan hub to W_PUMP on mobo. Rad fans connected to H115i, both RGB connection and power connection. Everything else (case fans) connected to fan hub, fan hub connected to CPU_FAN on mobo. Ran computer, went into Windows. Was fine for a few min, started throttling again, or at least I think it's throttling. Was at 99% load at startup (no apps open except Corsair Link, NZXT CAM, and MSI Afterburner) at 95 c (203 f). Tried to open task manager and computer auto self-shut down, so I'm guessing this is a throttling problem. If it was mobo short or something like that, I don't think I would've made it into Windows?

What can I do?

did you repaste the new cooler, had a friend who used the stock paste and he had terrible thermals until he repasted.

also does the rbg turn on for the pump, if not you need to connect it to sata power.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Just now, Jumballi said:

did you repaste the new cooler, had a friend who used the stock paste and he had terrible thermals until he repasted.

also does the rbg turn on for the pump, if not you need to connect it to sata power.

I did not repaste the new cooler, I will do that now. The RGB did turn on for the pump as well as the fans, however, a few minutes later they turned off. The fans kept running though.

1 minute ago, MyComputerAlwaysScrewed said:

I did not repaste the new cooler, I will do that now. The RGB did turn on for the pump as well as the fans, however, a few minutes later they turned off. The fans kept running though.

your pump got disconnected, it received power via sata, reseat it properly

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

2 minutes ago, MyComputerAlwaysScrewed said:

Don't connect the fans for the aio to a control hub or motherboard, connect them directly to the pump. There should be two fan connectors that come off of the pump itself. Also make sure in Corsair ICUE that you have the pump and fans set to balanced or extreme to get the best temps.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

your pump got disconnected, it received power via sata, reseat it properly

How can I make sure it is seated properly? Last time I just put it on the mount and secured it with thumb screws.

2 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

Make sure your pump is on and working.

How do I know?

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Don't connect the fans for the aio to a control hub or motherboard, connect them directly to the pump. There should be two fan connectors that come off of the pump itself. Also make sure in Corsair ICUE that you have the pump and fans set to balanced or extreme to get the best temps.

There are a few connections with my H115i. My H115i is connected to a SATA and USB 2.0 (USB 2.0 is on NZXT USB 2.0 Hub). H115i is also connected to W_PUMP. Finally, each radiator fan has two connections: one for RGB and one for power I'm guessing. My mistake in the original post, I will edit it out. Both the RGB connector and the power connector of each radiator fan is connected to the H115i.

2 minutes ago, MyComputerAlwaysScrewed said:

How can I make sure it is seated properly? Last time I just put it on the mount and secured it with thumb screws.

How do I know?

There are a few connections with my H115i. My H115i is connected to a SATA and USB 2.0 (USB 2.0 is on NZXT USB 2.0 Hub). H115i is also connected to W_PUMP. Finally, each radiator fan has two connections: one for RGB and one for power I'm guessing. My mistake in the original post, I will edit it out. Both the RGB connector and the power connector of each radiator fan is connected to the H115i.

unplug it from sata power, and then plug it back in

2 hours ago, Jumballi said:

unplug it from sata power, and then plug it back in

I replugged every connector related to the H115i.

RGB still turns on upon startup, then goes away after a few minutes. Upon shut down, RGB turns on again.

PC still throttles. Runs fine for a bit as described before, then becomes awfully slow and shuts down. CPU is at 99% load with 95 c (203 f) temp or higher.

My configuration is with the NZXT Noctis 450 case. It comes with a fan hub. So I connected my pump header on H115i to the designated connector on the fan hub, and fan hub is connected to CPU_FAN. All fans work properly all the time.

UPDATE: Computer is still thermal throttling, I think? Can boot into Windows but after a few min starts becoming very slow and automatically shuts down. Can't open task manager before auto shut down, but hardware monitoring software (and BIOS) say that CPU is at 95 c (203 f) and 99% CPU load. I have a NZXT Noctis 450 so my config is I connect fan hub of the case to CPU_FAN, and H115i pump to the designated connector on fan hub. Something I noticed was that RGB of fans and pump turn off after a few min. They work fine on startup, then just turn off. I shut down manually (not automatic shut down) once and when I did manual shut down, RGB lights turned on again until computer is off. Rad fans are always on despite RGB turning off. Not sure what to do now.

1 hour ago, MyComputerAlwaysScrewed said:

UPDATE: Computer is still thermal throttling, I think? Can boot into Windows but after a few min starts becoming very slow and automatically shuts down. Can't open task manager before auto shut down, but hardware monitoring software (and BIOS) say that CPU is at 95 c (203 f) and 99% CPU load. I have a NZXT Noctis 450 so my config is I connect fan hub of the case to CPU_FAN, and H115i pump to the designated connector on fan hub. Something I noticed was that RGB of fans and pump turn off after a few min. They work fine on startup, then just turn off. I shut down manually (not automatic shut down) once and when I did manual shut down, RGB lights turned on again until computer is off. Rad fans are always on despite RGB turning off. Not sure what to do now.

sorry for delayed reply, I had to head out
From what you tell me, the pump is failing somewhere in it's power draw, essentially bad aio or power supply. rgb is linked to the same power source as the pump, so if the rgb shuts down, then that's a good sign that the pump also shut down.
try using a different sata power connector

39 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

sorry for delayed reply, I had to head out
From what you tell me, the pump is failing somewhere in it's power draw, essentially bad aio or power supply. rgb is linked to the same power source as the pump, so if the rgb shuts down, then that's a good sign that the pump also shut down.
try using a different sata power connector

I tried keeping my hand on the tubes of the H115i and from what I've felt, there was always waterflow. What I felt was a little vibrating.

The confusing thing is, in BIOS, it says 4500 RPM which is impossible. 2000 is max RPM for H115i if I recall correctly. And my hardware monitoring software reads 1800 RPM.

I also tried a different SATA power connector to no avail.

Do you think this could be a CPU problem, maybe?

I tried keeping my hand on the tubes of the H115i and from what I've felt, there was always waterflow. What I felt was a little vibrating.

The confusing thing is, in BIOS, it says 4500 RPM which is impossible. 2000 is max RPM for H115i if I recall correctly. And my hardware monitoring software reads 1800 RPM.

I also tried a different SATA power connector to no avail.

Do you think this could be a CPU problem, maybe?

it should not be vibrating, you can feel a "flow" but it's clearly flow and not a vibration

4 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

it should not be vibrating, you can feel a "flow" but it's clearly flow and not a vibration

Sorry, that is what I meant.

Just now, MyComputerAlwaysScrewed said:

Sorry, that is what I meant.

is the entire tube hot or just near the cpu on both sides?

1 minute ago, Jumballi said:

is the entire tube hot or just near the cpu on both sides?

Tube is not hot at all. Tube feels like room temperature. CPU is hot, if felt on the boundaries of the CPU socket. The mounting brace for the AIO is not hot at all.

10 minutes ago, MyComputerAlwaysScrewed said:

Tube is not hot at all. Tube feels like room temperature. CPU is hot, if felt on the boundaries of the CPU socket. The mounting brace for the AIO is not hot at all.

what about tube near the cpu?

Not noticeably hot.

well if the cpu is hot but not the water loop which appears to be working, then there's the chance that the block is not seated properly.

Try taking off the water loop, repaste, then attach it back on. anything more than that is outside my expertise and I'd just advise you to return in.