PC shuts down when CPU is under load

qwertz123

Hi,

I have updated my PC with new CPU and it works just fine, except when the CPU is put under load. When I run a load test or some games it just shuts down (like if I cut the power).

I thought it was caused by PSU because it was only 400W, so I got a new one but it didn't help.

I also cheked the temperatures and it seems that it shuts down when CPU hits 70C (but sometimes sooner).

One thing I haven't tried is to do clean install of the OS and I would prefer to avoid it if possible unless I know it will help.

I appreciate any advice.

New components:

AMD ryzen 5 3600

asrock b450m pro4-f, latest BIOS

Kingston 2x4GB DDR4

Corsair VS650

Old components:

GTX 1060

SSD

HDD

Windows 10 64bit

I'm not sure it affects this board or CPU, but I know there where issues with ryzen correctly reporting temperature. Check to make sure your thermal paste application is ok.

Use HWiNFO to check temperatures.

And that PSU... may need replacement immediately (if it's a 2012 model).

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

The new PSU is this one https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/vs-series-config-2018/p/CP-9020172-EU. I haven't included full name, sorry for the confusion.

I've tried rebuilding the PC mutliple times (with new thermal paste every time), but it does not help. I think I am applying the paste correctly. I also tried booting linux from USB and stress testing CPU from there and the behaviour is the same.

Using hwinfo I can see that idle temperatues are aroud 45°C (see attachment). Around 30s after running stress test, the temperatures hits 70°C and PC shuts down.

Is 45°C at idle OK?

Is 70°C too high temperature under load? I tried it on another (intel) PC and I go beyond 70°C without any issue.

temps.png

7 hours ago, qwertz123 said:

Is 45°C at idle OK?

Depends on your ambient temperature. Make sure you have adequate mounting pressure (screws on cooler tightly done).

7 hours ago, qwertz123 said:

Is 70°C too high temperature under load? I tried it on another (intel) PC and I go beyond 70°C without any issue.

Anything below Tjunction (and some below freezing min) is the temperature range the CPU is designed to work with. For Ryzen the max temp is 95C.

Sounds like your PSU is busted. Try swapping it and see if the problem gets fixed.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

The screws are tightly done.

That PSU is brand new. And the behaviour is the same with both my old 400W PSU and the new 650W one.

The problem isn't the newness of the PSU, the problem might be its quality.

Corsair VS series sits on Tier C at best.

Then again, the problem might not be the PSU at all. Eliminate each suspect by swapping in/out components and see if the issue persists.

What CPU did you have previously? 

I have a similar configuration and no crashes etc,  and I did *not*  reinstall the OS coming from a 2200G - it was quite the hassle though to get the system performance where it should be (which imo is more a Ryzen thing than a window thing,  although windows could be optimized better for sure also) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity