1 sec bios load screen then “idle” after upgraded to GTX1660Ti, new PSU and RAM

Go to solution Solved by Freeze_O,
On 12/26/2019 at 2:32 PM, RetroGeneral said:

Do you want to buy a new motherboard that supports your old cpu and will be able to run the 1660?
That sounds like a mission impossible tbh.
New systems can be fairly cheap but that would mean the expense of the ram has been for nothing
is the returning of the 1660 not an option?
I mean i just noticed you shared a dutch link and as it might happen to be i'm from holland too and ..
i have a spare 1060 3gb card or a 1050Ti lying around gathering dust.
both only used for about 6 months.

Outside those a new intel 5 system or a new ryzen 5 system complete with motherboard ram and memory should set you back for about 500 euro's

Maybe a viable option if you could return the memory....  

I’m mainly writing this for who ever is facing the same issue.

mission imposaible succes though. Bought a Gigabyte Z77P-D3. This motherboard came with the lastest updates. I drove up to the shop to test my CPU, GPU and RAM in the board. All worked. I even was so lucky my windows still works fine. Didn’t have to reinstall it. 

so if your GTX1660Ti is not recognized by the computer. Like doesn’t even show in the device manager. Try updating the bios. If you can’t like in my case ‘cause support was stopped. Then only option is finding a motherboard that is supported and hold your CPU and RAM en GPU. Cheapest option I guess. Check your CPU socket type and look for a motherboard for that type. Also keeping form factor in check as that determines where your screws go in your case and wherher it fits. For me I switched from ATX micro to ATX standard which my case supports.

I also learned that my old motherboard probably was used for workstations, office pc’s, and thus support was stopped. Motherboard made for gaming PCs tend to have longer support? This mew board is older but still allows for the latest cards to work.

hope someone finds this helpful. Otherwise sorry for the spam

Dear Forum people,

so I have a 7ish year old pc:

MB: intel dh77eb (2013, discontinued, support ended fall this year)

I7 3rd gen processor 3.4 GHz (i think 3730?)

GPU: GT640

2SSD and 1 HD 

CoolerMaster PSU 350W

6GB ram DDR3 1600MHz

To upgrade I bought a GTX1660Ti a new CoolerMaster PSU

https://m.alternate.nl/Cooler-Master/MWE-450Watt-Bronze-v2-voeding/html/product/1551849

And Hyperx 2x8GB ram.

and a new monitor

After swapping out components (which I did with one of those antistatic bracelets, power disconnected) the pc would turn on, fans start spinning, i get about a second of bios screen then funky multicoloured snow for a split sec and then black. Fans ramp down and it’s like it’s idling. Screens says no input detected. Pressing the powerbutton turns the pc off immediatedly. 

So far i did:

tried to update the bios, which fails for some reason. 
Took out the Cmos battery for 10 min to clear it.

Took the card out and put it back in just to check about 5 times now. Put my GT640 back in to check if the other parts were operating as should which was working fine. Ram is recognized as should. 

put the GTX1660Ti back in, forgot the plug the PCI cable back in, use the MB onboard Graphics for a while. updated windows, Turned off auto updates. Went into safemode and used DDU to clear all nvidia drivers. Tried to install new driver in safe mode for the GTX1660Ti both older version and latest. it keeps either saying windows version is not supported or cant find GPU hardware. I even tried to install in safemode with signature bypass mode.

I dont have a spare system i can plug the GPU in to check if t works, bur judging that it does show screen, albeit for a second, i suppose it works. I’m starting to think it’s the GPU maybe as the PCI cable is a 2x 6+2 plugs. I’ve tried both plugs in both 6 and 6+2 configuration, yielding different results. Either

1 sec bios then snow then black, 

no bios, 1 sec snow then black

Endless Frozen bios screen, though stuck without options like F2 for settings.

I’m scratching my head. I read multiple things on MB’s beeing old? Though other sources state as long as it’s PCI3 supported it should work. My GT640 works fine but doesn't use a PCI plug from the PSU. I’m anxious to try it with my old PSU. As it’s only 2x12vx18A max 342W rated.

any thoughts on this one? Could the GPU simply be bad?

i bought it new from  a legit website MSI build. 

12 minutes ago, RetroGeneral said:

weird, i had no trouble what so ever with running a msi 1060 on a 10 year old asus ddr 3 motherboard ( with both a i7 920 and a xeon x5650 )
can't imagine the jump to be that high.... The bios stuff, that is where it is all happening, you sure you tried the right upgrade package... bios upgrade fails because of corrupted files or wrong upgrade package? 

I downloaded the latest flash bios from intel for the specific board last summer. Tried to flash it using usb as well as the tool. None would work. Also older versions didn’t work. I’ll be at a LAN party tomorrow. I’m sure I’ll find someone willing to use their rig to test the integrity of the GPU. 

50 minutes ago, RetroGeneral said:

another option for today might be to download iobits free version driver updater, let it run and see what it updates, if any and try to run the bios stuff again

so you have something on your hands ;) 

Thanks for the feedback. According to the manual of the motherboard it should support upto 32gb, it has 2dual chanel so i suppose it should work just fine with 2x8 in one dual chanel.

i’ll try the iobits tonight.

if that and/or tomorrow checking the gpu in another system doesn’t work I suppose i need to buy a new MB. Any suggestions for that? (Scared to death about taking the cpu out though... any good instructional vids on putting that in a MB? Same with thermal paste. What to get?) 

I’m not sure what to do at this point. Thanks for all the help and advise so far. I’ll check the drivers thing tonight and will see tomorrow if it’s perhaps the GPU. Perhaps someone the Lan party moght have a good idea. It’s just wierd the Driver doesnt support the most up to date win10 either...

and the card did transmist that split second of screen. I just don’t understand what’s happening. i just spent 600€ so my budget is drained... returning the card does get me anywhere now. I might just have to return the Ram and but a new motherboard then. 
I wasn’t aware a cpu is motherboard dependent... 

Well the iobits did look promising when the pcie3 showed up, but the update didn’t help. Today at the LAN party it seems the card is functional in another system. So I have to fix a new motherboard it sadly seems... thanks for all the support everyone. 

On 12/26/2019 at 2:32 PM, RetroGeneral said:

Do you want to buy a new motherboard that supports your old cpu and will be able to run the 1660?
That sounds like a mission impossible tbh.
New systems can be fairly cheap but that would mean the expense of the ram has been for nothing
is the returning of the 1660 not an option?
I mean i just noticed you shared a dutch link and as it might happen to be i'm from holland too and ..
i have a spare 1060 3gb card or a 1050Ti lying around gathering dust.
both only used for about 6 months.

Outside those a new intel 5 system or a new ryzen 5 system complete with motherboard ram and memory should set you back for about 500 euro's

Maybe a viable option if you could return the memory....  

I’m mainly writing this for who ever is facing the same issue.

mission imposaible succes though. Bought a Gigabyte Z77P-D3. This motherboard came with the lastest updates. I drove up to the shop to test my CPU, GPU and RAM in the board. All worked. I even was so lucky my windows still works fine. Didn’t have to reinstall it. 

so if your GTX1660Ti is not recognized by the computer. Like doesn’t even show in the device manager. Try updating the bios. If you can’t like in my case ‘cause support was stopped. Then only option is finding a motherboard that is supported and hold your CPU and RAM en GPU. Cheapest option I guess. Check your CPU socket type and look for a motherboard for that type. Also keeping form factor in check as that determines where your screws go in your case and wherher it fits. For me I switched from ATX micro to ATX standard which my case supports.

I also learned that my old motherboard probably was used for workstations, office pc’s, and thus support was stopped. Motherboard made for gaming PCs tend to have longer support? This mew board is older but still allows for the latest cards to work.

hope someone finds this helpful. Otherwise sorry for the spam