How can I replace my motherboard without re-installing windows 10?

Tega

I am about to upgrade my whole system, new gpu, cpu, motherboard, ram.
I have seen videos online on how to do it but I do not understand properly. Can someone help me please
Thanks.

These days you can normally just plug your drive into the new system and it will work. I've never had any problems in the last 8 or so years.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

If you are upgrading your whole system, just reinstall Windows 10. You may run into driver conflicts (resulting in less than expected performance, BSODs), but you also might not.

Just backup your data, install clean new Windows. It doesn't hurt to get rid of some old files and other crap that has accumulated over time. There's really no big reason not to do it.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Not reinstalling Windows when doing an entire system change... asking for problems.

You really can just plug your old drive into a new system, but I think it's just not recommended since your computer will start off from old drivers. Some drivers may update automatically, some may not. You are better off with a clean install with major hardware changes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

4 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

If you are upgrading your whole system, just reinstall Windows 10. You may run into driver conflicts (resulting in less than expected performance, BSODs), but you also might not.

Just backup your data, install clean new Windows. It doesn't hurt to get rid of some old files and other crap that has accumulated over time. There's really no big reason not to do it.

@jj9987 can you link me to a tutorial that shows me how to back up my data please

I just swap it. Done it several times with zero issues. 

Also was forced to get a new serial and had to reinstall pretty much anyway because of that. 

But new code off ebay is always the best option. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

12 minutes ago, Tega said:

I have seen videos online on how to do it but I do not understand properly. Can someone help me please
Thanks.

For your GPU, go into Safe Mode and take out the drivers using DDU, then shut down the PC and swap it out. No need to reinstall Windows for that. For CPU and RAM, those can just be installed and used without touching Windows. The best practice with a motherboard change would be to reset (not necessarily reinstall) Windows, and you could do so while leaving your personal files intact. All you want to do is force Windows to clear out the drivers it has and install new ones, and a reset covers it.

You can go without reinstalling Windows if you really want to. Windows 10 is smart enough to find the updated motherboard drivers and replace the ones it needs to. If I'm not changing out the motherboard to one with a different chipset, I've usually just done this in the past. 90-ish% of the time, it works perfectly. Once in a while, a leftover driver causes a problem, and I have to reset (again, not reinstall) Windows 10 to clear that up. If I am changing the chipset, I just plan on resetting Windows every time. Another important note: if you're using manufacturer-specific utilities like those found in Gigabyte's App Center, uninstall those before swapping the board. I've had headaches arise from those programs (SIV in particular) trying to do their thing with a different OEM's board before.

If your current Windows key is linked to your Microsoft account, you should be able to transfer it over by using the "I've recently changed hardware" option. If it won't transfer, you'll want to buy a >$10 Windows 10 key from a legal online source of MSDN keys.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

8 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

I just swap it. Done it several times with zero issues. 

Also was forced to get a new serial and had to reinstall pretty much anyway because of that. 

But new code off ebay is always the best option. 

@Mick Naughty does it not have any driver problems that had a impact on performance? or did you re install them ?

2 minutes ago, Tega said:

@Mick Naughty does it not have any driver problems that had a impact on performance? or did you re install them ?

I just run the disk that comes with the new board. Only issue I have is not uninstalling the fan software for the os. 

Cant say there was a performance change because it’s different hardware. Can’t compare it either way. 

New cpu made everything better. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

someone said earlier "buy a >$10 Windows 10 key from a legal online source of MSDN keys" the trouble is there is NO WAY to buy an MSDN key online...anywhere. The truth is the only people able to obtain MSDN keys legally, are breaking their agreement with Microsoft if they EVER sell a key...[and so illegally selling keys]...anywhere.

Yes you can buy them online, but you're likely sooner or later to run into trouble with an illegally obtained key...there are other ways around that issue, but first you need to do the motherboard change..and that isn't always a 100% doable chore...best of luck!

Change the hardware, then try to boot from your original hard drive..then worry about a legit key...

And then they probably meant to say "buy a <$10 Windows 10 key from a legal online source of MSDN keys"

So buy a less than $10Windows 10 key...

Mathematically;

< means less than

> means more than...

When windows cares enough to shut down all those keys, then I’ll care. 

Seller issue, not my own. As they were sold for a contracted reason. 

Still the best option. Not gonna get windows again because I got a new mobo. 

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

For your GPU, go into Safe Mode and take out the drivers using DDU, then shut down the PC and swap it out. No need to reinstall Windows for that. For CPU and RAM, those can just be installed and used without touching Windows. The best practice with a motherboard change would be to reset (not necessarily reinstall) Windows, and you could do so while leaving your personal files intact. All you want to do is force Windows to clear out the drivers it has and install new ones, and a reset covers it.

You can go without reinstalling Windows if you really want to. Windows 10 is smart enough to find the updated motherboard drivers and replace the ones it needs to. If I'm not changing out the motherboard to one with a different chipset, I've usually just done this in the past. 90-ish% of the time, it works perfectly. Once in a while, a leftover driver causes a problem, and I have to reset (again, not reinstall) Windows 10 to clear that up. If I am changing the chipset, I just plan on resetting Windows every time. Another important note: if you're using manufacturer-specific utilities like those found in Gigabyte's App Center, uninstall those before swapping the board. I've had headaches arise from those programs (SIV in particular) trying to do their thing with a different OEM's board before.

If your current Windows key is linked to your Microsoft account, you should be able to transfer it over by using the "I've recently changed hardware" option. If it won't transfer, you'll want to buy a >$10 Windows 10 key from a legal online source of MSDN keys.

Hey, does a reset un install programs aswell or will it keep that? @aisle9

4 hours ago, Tega said:

Thanks.

Just do what I have done, build the new computer first then install windows 10 fresh assuming you are planning on buying a new main drive. Else back everything up you want to keep on the main drive build the new computer, insert the drive and reinstall windows BUT select the "I don't have a key" Literally follow the instructions given in the setup process. If you can't afford to do so and your current board can handle the new cpu/ram I would start with those or even gpu as that's all that might be needed.

For MB swap uninstall anything related to that board before reinstalling however I've never had a issue, for GPU if the same brand (AMD/Nvidia) nothing needs to be done as long as drivers are up to date. Same with CPU however if your old board supports the new cpu make sure your BIOS doesn't need to be updated first, if so there are usually instructions on how to do that (typically USB or via windows)

Also I have no idea what drug half the people here are on but I want some... I've never needed to rebuy a license for Windows, NEVER... So long you have bought it from a legal source (like a computer store or MS's own online store etc, is $100 really that expensive?) what I have seen is MS literally gives 0 Fs about you and your key... Today I installed 10 on my new computer hit don't have a key logged into my Microsoft account, boom active (afaik I never double checked, I'll do that later). Windows XP I had 3 upgrades with my Pro key, upgraded/reinstall 5 times+  I had to email once into support...

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

When windows cares enough to shut down all those keys, then I’ll care. 

Seller issue, not my own. As they were sold for a contracted reason. 

I think it's more hassle than care.

However you should care as one update could completely lock you out while unlikely since you could technically use 10 w/o a key indefinitely, you are playing with fire with that attitude, just saying. There is nothing stopping MS from putting a self destruct code for illegally obtained keys as long as it destroys only Windows data, disable all the keys and have a nice cup of Schadenfreude.

5 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

However you should care as one update could completely lock you out while unlikely since you could technically use 10 w/o a key indefinitely, you are playing with fire with that attitude, just saying. There is nothing stopping MS from putting a self destruct code for illegally obtained keys as long as it destroys only Windows data, disable all the keys and have a nice cup of Schadenfreude

There is something stopping them from doing it. Which is why it hasn’t been done. Not too concerned like I said, will simply pop in a thumb drive and reinstall Windows. With or without a key. Bought windows before and I’m sure I can do it again. Won’t be losing anything than a few minutes of my time.  

11 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

There is something stopping them from doing it. Which is why it hasn’t been done. Not too concerned like I said, will simply pop in a thumb drive and reinstall Windows. With or without a key. Bought windows before and I’m sure I can do it again. Won’t be losing anything than a few minutes of my time.  

You are devaluing your time, but that is your choice. It would only have to happen to me once to make the money saving not worth it because of the hassle. Also with buying a $10 key you could be good for life or for 5 minutes. Sure risk = reward but if that risk fails you enough times it is no longer worth the reward esp with money involved plus time wasted.

2 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Just do what I have done, build the new computer first then install windows 10 fresh assuming you are planning on buying a new main drive. Else back everything up you want to keep on the main drive build the new computer, insert the drive and reinstall windows BUT select the "I don't have a key" Literally follow the instructions given in the setup process. If you can't afford to do so and your current board can handle the new cpu/ram I would start with those or even gpu as that's all that might be needed.

For MB swap uninstall anything related to that board before reinstalling however I've never had a issue, for GPU if the same brand (AMD/Nvidia) nothing needs to be done as long as drivers are up to date. Same with CPU however if your old board supports the new cpu make sure your BIOS doesn't need to be updated first, if so there are usually instructions on how to do that (typically USB or via windows)

Also I have no idea what drug half the people here are on but I want some... I've never needed to rebuy a license for Windows, NEVER... So long you have bought it from a legal source (like a computer store or MS's own online store etc, is $100 really that expensive?) what I have seen is MS literally gives 0 Fs about you and your key... Today I installed 10 on my new computer hit don't have a key logged into my Microsoft account, boom active (afaik I never double checked, I'll do that later). Windows XP I had 3 upgrades with my Pro key, upgraded/reinstall 5 times+  I had to email once into support...

However you should care as one update could completely lock you out while unlikely since you could technically use 10 w/o a key indefinitely, you are playing with fire with that attitude, just saying. There is nothing stopping MS from putting a self destruct code for illegally obtained keys as long as it destroys only Windows data, disable all the keys and have a nice cup of Schadenfreude.

Hey, I like this idea, just to simplify it. If i build the new computer and install windows 10 on it using a brand new SSD, am I able to plug in my old hard drive and my files will be there? @Egg-Roll

1 hour ago, Tega said:

Hey, I like this idea, just to simplify it. If i build the new computer and install windows 10 on it using a brand new SSD, am I able to plug in my old hard drive and my files will be there? @Egg-Roll

You should have access to everything on the drive including your documents under your username as long as your username isn't encrypted or otherwise protected which is not a default option. I've not had to do it with windows 10 but windows 7 and xp both allowed me to access the files after a new install.

8 hours ago, Pharr Carnell said:

someone said earlier "buy a >$10 Windows 10 key from a legal online source of MSDN keys" the trouble is there is NO WAY to buy an MSDN key online...anywhere. The truth is the only people able to obtain MSDN keys legally, are breaking their agreement with Microsoft if they EVER sell a key...[and so illegally selling keys]...anywhere.

Yes you can buy them online, but you're likely sooner or later to run into trouble with an illegally obtained key...there are other ways around that issue, but first you need to do the motherboard change..and that isn't always a 100% doable chore...best of luck!

Change the hardware, then try to boot from your original hard drive..then worry about a legit key...

1. Typo

2. Can't legally buy an MSDN key? Oh yes you can, Trebek. It's never going to be labeled as such, but that's what the vast majority of those <$10 keys are. If it comes from any of the usual sites that advertise on low to mid-tier tech YouTube channels, or it costs less than $100 on popular online auction and marketplace sites, it is almost certainly an MSDN key, and any legality issues are between the seller and Microsoft. It's their problem, and Microsoft hasn't shown signs of caring to date. I have never had a Windows key purchased that I couldn't get activated, even if that meant getting on the phone.

7 hours ago, Tega said:

Hey, does a reset un install programs aswell or will it keep that? @aisle9

A reset will uninstall your programs, but it will leave an HTML file on your desktop listing what it removed so you can reinstall everything fairly easily.

4 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

lso I have no idea what drug half the people here are on but I want some... I've never needed to rebuy a license for Windows, NEVER... So long you have bought it from a legal source (like a computer store or MS's own online store etc, is $100 really that expensive?) what I have seen is MS literally gives 0 Fs about you and your key... Today I installed 10 on my new computer hit don't have a key logged into my Microsoft account, boom active (afaik I never double checked, I'll do that later). Windows XP I had 3 upgrades with my Pro key, upgraded/reinstall 5 times+  I had to email once into support...

The only times I've had an issue with Windows keys deactivating permanently have been when I'm getting cheeky with using old Windows 7 Pro activation codes pulled off of prebuilts to activate Windows 10, then switching hardware around and, um, reusing them. If I forget to link one to a Microsoft account, sometimes it'll be a pain in the dick upon reinstall. It's incredibly rare, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen it happen to me on 10. Now, on XP...

While it is within the realm of "this is theoretically possible", Microsoft will never install a mass self-destruct into Windows. For one, if they fuck up even in the slightest, suddenly a massive corporation has a colossal systemwide failure with millions upon millions of dollars worth of data lost. And even if Microsoft doesn't fuck it up, guess when happens when Russian hackers figure out what that line of code buried deep within the registry does? Now it's not just that corporation that's up Shit Creek, now it's multiple corporations, government entities, the government itself. Want to see how the entire world ended up on Macs? That's how.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Macs

Linux, most people won't or can't pay the price for a mac and with modern day Linux distros being so close to near equal of windows abilities (and looks) many would choose the simpler cheaper switch however I do see where you are coming from on the hacking point of view not to mention MS's abilities of updating 10 normally ? The Rise of the Penguin would make a great documentary however, has a nice ring to it.

For XP I think it was their first mainstream os that required phone/internet activation to function past 30 days (either that or 2000/me, but who used 2000/me seriously), but yea XP registration was always a pain to deal with. However I would gladly take it over privacy concerns windows 10 has, sadly those days are basically gone.