Wrong switch behaviour?

FloX04

(Not very experienced when it comes to networking)

I have my PC, a WD mycloud mirror nas (2tb raid1) and a fritz! powerline (for internet because my PC doesn't have WiFi, no possibility for LAN)

When I try to move files from my PC's SSD to the NAS I get speeds in the kb/s range, and sometime it just stops, not paused or anything but just displaying 0 bytes/s.

I thought it might be routing all the traffic through the router and then back to the switch instead of directly moving it (which then should be a lot faster?)

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can fix that because having to import hundreds of GBs of Files is quite annoying to do with that speed

Thanks in advance

5 minutes ago, FloX04 said:

(Not very experienced when it comes to networking)

I have my PC, a WD mycloud mirror nas (2tb raid1) and a fritz! powerline (for internet because my PC doesn't have WiFi, no possibility for LAN)

When I try to move files from my PC's SSD to the NAS I get speeds in the kb/s range, and sometime it just stops, not paused or anything but just displaying 0 bytes/s.

I thought it might be routing all the traffic through the router and then back to the switch instead of directly moving it (which then should be a lot faster?)

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can fix that because having to import hundreds of GBs of Files is quite annoying to do with that speed

Thanks in advance

Powerline adapters are not known for speed. And their performance is tied to the wiring in your home. Also keep in mind as well RAID 1 has larger write times because it has to write the data twice. My guess is your power line adapters could be limiting you. Ive seen people get a few Mbps on power line to a few hundred Mbps on powerline. 

What you might consider is adding a swtich near your PC and connecting that swtich to the power line adpater and also connecting the NAS and PC to that same swtich. This way traffic never has to leave the swtich and you should be able to pull Gigabit speeds which is max of 125 Megabytes per second. The big negitive here and other devices on your network would be limited to the speeds of your powerline adapters. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

Powerline adapters are not known for speed. And their performance is tied to the wiring in your home. Also keep in mind as well RAID 1 has larger write times because it has to write the data twice. My guess is your power line adapters could be limiting you. Ive seen people get a few Mbps on power line to a few hundred Mbps on powerline. 

What you might consider is adding a swtich near your PC and connecting that swtich to the power line adpater and also connecting the NAS and PC to that same swtich. This way traffic never has to leave the swtich and you should be able to pull Gigabit speeds which is max of 125 Megabytes per second. The big negitive here and other devices on your network would be limited to the speeds of your powerline adapters. 

That's how it's set up right now (see sketch). Does it maybe have to do something with DNS settings or is that irrelevant?

image.png.dd9b55f7daa714b045200ca8662b9f83.png

Mind you the powerline although it can be a powerline is connected to the router via WiFi 

Based on the sketch, the traffic should go from PC to NAS directly indeed.

How are you connecting to the NAS to transfer files? What switch is it?

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 hours ago, FloX04 said:

That's how it's set up right now (see sketch). Does it maybe have to do something with DNS settings or is that irrelevant?

A switch would be moving data at Layer 2 which is below Layer 3 where DNS/Hostnames play their role. It is possible it keeps querying the router to resolve the hostname if that's what you're using. Try using just the IP of the NAS and see if performance improves.