new guy :3 just got gigabit eathernet.....

aLazyDragon

hey guys whats up ? finally got time to settle in ive been in the process of moving...u know how it is XD  anyways i got the at&t uverse with gigabit internet i was wondering i went to there router settings annnd i need to port stuff...i hate it that we just done have a option to just turn on a open nat....ohh and i also got a mesh becouse my wireless usb doesnt supoport gigabit  internet.. so i was wondering can i add a router for the at&t modem  ? also is there any router  that has the option to just turn a open nat on option ? i had a oooold netgear router that had that simple option XD

I can't comment on Open NAT I'd prefer to suck it up and only allow the specific ports I need for the sake of security/access control but you should be able to use any standalone router you like just make sure the AT&T modem supports Bridged Mode (I'm under the assumption it's a modem/router combo). If it does include a router and you don't enable Bridged Mode you'll find yourself behind a Double NAT then consequently you won't be forwarding anything.

14 hours ago, aLazyDragon said:

.ohh and i also got a mesh becouse my wireless usb doesnt supoport gigabit  internet.. so i was wondering can i add a router for the at&t modem

This needs to be more clearly explained.  What is the wireless USB for?  What mesh device did you buy? 

If that last question simply means "can I plug a router into my modem" the answer is yes but I'd only do it if the AT&T device has bad wifi.  It'd be far more ideal to just add an Access Point so you're not having to do NAT twice behind two routers, it is less efficient to use a 2nd router.

14 hours ago, aLazyDragon said:

hey guys whats up ? finally got time to settle in ive been in the process of moving...u know how it is XD  anyways i got the at&t uverse with gigabit internet i was wondering i went to there router settings annnd i need to port stuff...i hate it that we just done have a option to just turn on a open nat....ohh and i also got a mesh becouse my wireless usb doesnt supoport gigabit  internet.. so i was wondering can i add a router for the at&t modem  ? also is there any router  that has the option to just turn a open nat on option ? i had a oooold netgear router that had that simple option XD

If you have Gigabit from AT&T that means you got Fiber. You CANT replace that box. There are ways to enable a pass thru mode, but Ive been told it can be iffy. As it stands that box is both a media converter/ router and no you dont want to connect two routers together, it would not give the result your looking for. 

You best bet is to use a Wireless Access point connected to the AT&T box. Then as far as NAT is concerned, just port forward the ports you need. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

21 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If you have Gigabit from AT&T that means you got Fiber. You CANT replace that box. There are ways to enable a pass thru mode, but Ive been told it can be iffy. As it stands that box is both a media converter/ router and no you dont want to connect two routers together, it would not give the result your looking for. 

You best bet is to use a Wireless Access point connected to the AT&T box. Then as far as NAT is concerned, just port forward the ports you need. 

While you can technically bypass it, it's a nightmare from what I've seen and you have to get really lucky as well. However, as for passthrough, if it's the BGW200 that's still being given out, which I've got, then passthrough mode is perfect. The older models were iffy and for a while you needed beta firmware to make it work.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

if it's the BGW200 that's still being given out,

Dont know. Most of the Info I got comes from DSLreports.com. AT&T wont serve our address any longer and they dont offer more than 18 Mbps DSL in the areas of the city that have DSL avilable. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.