Ryzen 1st gen RAM Compatibility in 2019

After months of saving and working, I finally got most the parts I need to build my PC. A Gigabyte GA-AB350M-HD3 Motherboard, a 600W PSU, a PALIT GeForce GTX 1050Ti, and 4GB of Kingston 2666MHZ DDR4. Last thing I need is a processor and was thinking to settle for a second hand Ryzen 5 1400 for $65. This is my first Ryzen desktop build and I have read Ryzen 1st gen had lots of memory compatibility issues. Do these issues still persist? The motherboard is also second hand and the seller said he had used a Ryzen 3 2200G on it which I guess means that he had already updated the BIOS.

not Sure how well it will run with only 4gig of ram. 600w is a whole lot for that rig.  Close to twice what it will draw or more. Pricing is pricing though. I don’t know if the bios will make a difference or not.  It’s not impossible.  The issue is Theres only so much space in bios and the old chips get shuffled out as the new ones get shuffled in.  Might help to find out the bios version number he has and check to make sure.  My suspicion is it will be fine, still, might want to check.

as to the memory compatibility I know nothing. There should be a compatible memory list created by the motherboard manufacturer somewhere and the board is old enough in design that the 1400 would have been looked at.  More internet foraging.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

not Sure how well it will run with only 4gig of ram. 600w is a whole lot for that rig.  Close to twice what it will draw or more. Pricing is pricing though. I don’t know if the bios will make a difference or not.  It’s not impossible.  The issue is Theres only so much space in bios and the old chips get shuffled out as the new ones get shuffled in.  Might help to find out the bios version number he has and check to make sure.  My suspicion is it will be fine, still, might want to check.

as to the memory compatibility I know nothing. There should be a compatible memory list created by the motherboard manufacturer somewhere and the board is old enough in design that the 1400 would have been looked at.  More internet foraging.

If I do continue to buy the 1400, the seller would give me a discount on his 4GB stick which is similar to what I currently have now to utilize dual channel memory. The motherboard does support the RAM however, i am still uncertain if memory is still an issue with 1st gen ryzen.

1 minute ago, NoobPotatoPCGUy said:

If I do continue to buy the 1400, the seller would give me a discount on his 4GB stick which is similar to what I currently have now to utilize dual channel memory. The motherboard does support the RAM however, i am still uncertain if memory is still an issue with 1st gen ryzen.

Using unmatched memory is often a problem.  Wish I had more information for you :/

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

11 minutes ago, NoobPotatoPCGUy said:

Hey, I just wanted to point out, if you live in the USA check if there is a microcenter near you or not. They are selling the r5 1600 for $80

https://www.microcenter.com/product/478826/amd-ryzen-5-1600-32ghz-6-core-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

2 minutes ago, DobertRownySr said:

Hey, I just wanted to point out, if you live in the USA check if there is a microcenter near you or not. They are selling the r5 1600 for $80

Sadly I was born in the Philippines where many people are so bad pricing computer parts ? the gap between a 1400 and a 1600 is $30 or around PHP 1600 

1 minute ago, NoobPotatoPCGUy said:

Sadly I was born in the Philippines where many people are so bad pricing computer parts ?

Ah, then yeah the 1400 will be fine. Although I would recommend 8 GB of ram on it in dual channel (2x4gb)

1400 with 4 core 8 threads will be okay

i'd check see if there are better deals on GPUs, a basic rx570 in most markets costs about same as 1050ti but is vastly superior, VASTLY, but i'm not in philipenes 

So far as memory compatibility that is somewhat related to motherboard, but mostly related to the CPU, BIOS updates can help but there is a certain limitation for this which cannot be exceeded, so going with decen 2666 memory is likely good idea.

That motherboard isn't fantastic, but if its all you can find for a good deal, it should be fine for any potential 6-core configuration or upgrade in the future.