Making Ubuntu More User Friendly?

So I've had very limited experience in the past with using Linux, like my best friend and computer guy just a few years ago, showed me that dual booting?(Having two OSes on a PC) is indeed a thing. Well I'm trying to get into video editing, and a lot of the good, free, open source programs are Linux only, but like in some places Linux feels not so user friendly. So what is the best way to like get a custom to Linux? 

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

Basically, just use it for a while. It's different from Windows and takes some getting used to but it's really not that complicated.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Is the windows store version of Ubuntu worth checking out?

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

7 minutes ago, Geoff35674567 said:

install arch linux.

If you want to get into the community, yes. If you want to get into using Linux yourself, no lmao.

OP, I'd use Manjaro. Basically as user-friendly as it gets without being a cut down, shit OS.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 hours ago, Geoff35674567 said:

install arch linux.

it is user friendly after a desktop is install. I mean the tools are all minimal, not even the gnome setting is there after an installation of gnome. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 hours ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

So I've had very limited experience in the past with using Linux, like my best friend and computer guy just a few years ago, showed me that dual booting?(Having two OSes on a PC) is indeed a thing. Well I'm trying to get into video editing, and a lot of the good, free, open source programs are Linux only, but like in some places Linux feels not so user friendly. So what is the best way to like get a custom to Linux? 

the same way you would learn macos or windows. 

Get use to the terminal. You can do stuffs without it but GUIs suck, especially the software centers, compare to terminal tools. If you must use GUI, synaptic package manager is far better than anything ship default by Ubuntu. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

7 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you want to get into the community, yes. If you want to get into using Linux yourself, no lmao.

Used it for 5 years, personally I vastly prefer it to any of the "easier" derivatives like manjaro - I know what I want on my system and how to get it there quickly, I don't want to deal with a bulkier than needed installer and manually remove things I don't want or need. If you know what you're doing it quickly becomes much less of a hassle than distros that are supposed to be more "user friendly". I wouldn't use it as a first introduction to Linux though.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It all comes down to getting used to it, but you can install some Gnome Shell Extensions to customize your desktop / top bar etc. to your liking.

On 12/20/2019 at 4:46 PM, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

Is the windows store version of Ubuntu worth checking out?

That installs Ubuntu that you can get command line access to. You can install a desktop and then remote desktop on to it if you so please.

I personally have kubuntu installed on a 32 gb partition that I use when I'm working from home.

Rest of the 256 drive is windows

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

There’s a great Ubuntu based distro called Zorin os, and it is very user friendly, and relatively lightweight. Has all Ubuntu’a support and an Windows like interface and has an included “store” with a lot of the basic apps that you’ll need. 

Ubuntu is about as user friendly as it gets for a linux distro already...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

On 12/22/2019 at 2:46 PM, Kilrah said:

Ubuntu is about as user friendly as it gets for a linux distro already...

I agree though I like popos far more, the gnome it uses gets completely out of the way and keyboard short cuts for moving around desktops and moving windows are very intuitive

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´