Recommend me a router (pretty please)

A_Mediocre_Kangaroo_Farmer

I'm looking for a new wifi router. I'm looking for range, stability and ease of use/implementation. I find plenty different alternatives, in many different price categories, but there are many of them and I've yet to find a one that doesn't seem to have issues with stability range or security. I kinda want to avoid the opensource flash deal too. (I was aiming to install AP's but I can't do wires at all here so I just need a single box that works)

Anyone have any recommendations?

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

15 minutes ago, A_Mediocre_Kangaroo_Farmer said:

I've yet to find a one that doesn't seem to have issues with stability range or security

Welcome to the world of wifi routers

Stability , is a problem with every wifi router on earth ever made , turns out air isn't as stable as a hardwired connection. So you'll have to forget stability.

Security , also is a constant issue and basically if your router is new or common , then it has security problems. Only routers that are security proof are either so old or so weird and uncommon that nobody makes security exploits for them or the hardware is so old that new exploits are literally not compatible with it.

Range , well yeah I suppose this might be the only thing to care about. 

If we're taking about stability and you need router that you configure, plug and forget about it, avoid Asus routers (from personal experience). Netgear may have good wifi range, TP-Link have ARP binding, Linksys / Cisco are solid... All depends on model. Just avoid cheap crap.

5 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

If we're taking about stability and you need router that you configure, plug and forget about it, avoid Asus routers (from personal experience).

I had RT-AC68U, had no issues with it. Sold it to a friend, who previously had AC66U, he hasn't had any issues either.

30 minutes ago, A_Mediocre_Kangaroo_Farmer said:

I'm looking for a new wifi router. I'm looking for range, stability and ease of use/implementation. I find plenty different alternatives, in many different price categories, but there are many of them and I've yet to find a one that doesn't seem to have issues with stability range or security. I kinda want to avoid the opensource flash deal too. (I was aiming to install AP's but I can't do wires at all here so I just need a single box that works)

Anyone have any recommendations?

What router do you currently have? Depending on what kind of connection your ISP providers your routers' choice may be limited, if you have ADSL/VDSL/VDSL2 for example.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

I work for an ISP where most of our customers have BYOD routers. The majority of current Netgear, TP-Link, and Belkin/Linksys devices do not work properly with IPv6 - they advertise on the box that it is supported, but it is a broken feature. I've tried to help so many customers who got those routers because they were supposed to support it and it is unusable, even in the newer models. I contacted Belkin support about this for one customer who really needed IPv6 and was told by support that they only pretend to support IPv6 (by only partially implementing it) in order to fool the ISP into thinking that the user has IPv6 capability when they actually don't, because what he said is some ISPs won't turn up the customer unless their router supports IPv6 or some such nonsense. I didn't buy that, I think they just implemented it broken so that they could check a box on a features list.

Based on the fact that those products advertise capabilities they can't deliver, which to me is really false advertising and misleading the consumer, I wouldn't reward them by giving them more money. What they are doing is dishonest and unprofessional.

48 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

I had RT-AC68U, had no issues with it.

Well, good for you. If you'll have any problem with anything, you probably will be very happy when someone answer like "I have no problem".

I'm taking about known issues on forums with even top models, I'm taking about infinity versions of constantly fixed firmwares, I'm taking about features that doesn't work proper. I had AC68U for a week, returned this crap to shop and get Archer. Good that is working for you.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm beginning to understand why I keep finding issues with every model I read about now.

8700k @5.0GHz | Maximus X Hero | RAM 32GB @3200MHz CL14 | 1080 TI | SSD 250GB + 2x500GB Raid 0 | Monitor 1440p 165Hz ISP

i have a wrt1900ac though theres an upgraded version called the wrt1900acs now. i live in a fairly large house and it covers the entire house and i can connect to it in the backyard also so its been serving me pretty well

I just ordered a tp-link ax6000 since my current netgear r7000 has crapped itself and keeps losing connection and rebooting on its own.

Hopefully going higher tier it'll last more than the usual 2-3 years...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

What's the size of your house and your budget? 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

• 3 weeks later...

Things have changed, I am now allowed to wire the place. For anyone who is interested I am going with an edgerouter 12p a few PoE AP's and a cloud key 2 (in case of power outages). All going well it will be fire and forget. ( I got the other tenants convinced and so the landlord caved and I'm hooking up 4 apartments with wifi and getting additional wired connections for my place)