AMD Ryzen not idling properly?

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else did not notice any woerd behaviour in idle from Ryzen 3000 CPUs. 

I have a 3900x on Asus Crosshair 8 with latest Bios update.

I noted that also when is not overclocked but with default bios settings (cleared CMOS etc), Ryzen Balanced plan and with PBO enabled, the CPU never goes below 1.0 V voltage and never below 3900MHz clock. 

Also with this configuration I never saw any of the cores boost to 4.6 GHz under stress.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Cheers

4 minutes ago, jafanello said:

Also with this configuration I never saw any of the cores boost to 4.6 GHz under stress.

That's a speed you could only get when doing something on 1 singular core:

Max boost for AMD Ryzen processors is the maximum frequency achievable by a single core on the processor running a bursty single-threaded workload.

If you are using 2 cores or more (which you likely are, considering you get a 12-core CPU ;) ), you won't get that max turbo. Through overclocking you could up the speed, not a guarantee you'll get that speed.

Although people reporting they didn't even get that speed when doing a single-core task. der8auer (well-known overclocker) did a survey on this and saw many people did not reach that max boost.

I am not on the other part though, the part about the CPU's not idling.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Check if Cool 'n Quiet is enabled or not. I noticed the last time I mucked around in my UEFI, it was disabled by default after I cleared the settings.

However, I don't think checking the CPU frequency or the voltage is really a thing for idling in Ryzen. I've had my CPU locked to 1.25V and 4.0GHz and it does actually drop in power consumption if the CPU is idling. And even messing around with the frequency didn't seem to change how much power it was consuming.

5 hours ago, minibois said:

That's a speed you could only get when doing something on 1 singular core:

If you are using 2 cores or more (which you likely are, considering you get a 12-core CPU ;) ), you won't get that max turbo. Through overclocking you could up the speed, not a guarantee you'll get that speed.

Although people reporting they didn't even get that speed when doing a single-core task. der8auer (well-known overclocker) did a survey on this and saw many people did not reach that max boost.

I am not on the other part though, the part about the CPU's not idling.

HI Miniboys, thanks for the explanation.

I should have been more specific. I was running cinebench restricting it to operate only on 2 threads.  

But I noticed that core load was jumping on different cores, instead of being concentrated on one, so probably is not a valid test for this kind of things.

5 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Check if Cool 'n Quiet is enabled or not. I noticed the last time I mucked around in my UEFI, it was disabled by default after I cleared the settings.

However, I don't think checking the CPU frequency or the voltage is really a thing for idling in Ryzen. I've had my CPU locked to 1.25V and 4.0GHz and it does actually drop in power consumption if the CPU is idling. And even messing around with the frequency didn't seem to change how much power it was consuming.

Hey Mira Yurizaki, thanks for the answer.

I tried but did not manage to find the coolnquiet setting in my bios. I will try more careully later again. Thanks though.

27 minutes ago, jafanello said:

HI Miniboys, thanks for the explanation.

I should have been more specific. I was running cinebench restricting it to operate only on 2 threads.  

But I noticed that core load was jumping on different cores, instead of being concentrated on one, so probably is not a valid test for this kind of things.

Is this related to your OP?  If so that would be normal Ryzen 3000 behavior from my experience, even when manually OC'd with fixed voltage in all-core workloads it likes occasionally shuffling which cores are focused on a workload the hardest.  Thats atleast been my experience with it. 

10 hours ago, jafanello said:

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if anyone else did not notice any woerd behaviour in idle from Ryzen 3000 CPUs. 

I have a 3900x on Asus Crosshair 8 with latest Bios update.

I noted that also when is not overclocked but with default bios settings (cleared CMOS etc), Ryzen Balanced plan and with PBO enabled, the CPU never goes below 1.0 V voltage and never below 3900MHz clock. 

Anyone experiencing something similar?

Cheers

It's a known,  typical Ryzen 3000 issue. 

Update your BIOS or make at least sure it's at default settings except XMP when applicable,  update your chipset, update windows. 

Then set windows power plan to "windows balanced".

Check idle voltage again. 

It should be fixed.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/19/2019 at 3:09 AM, Mark Kaine said:

It's a known,  typical Ryzen 3000 issue. 

Update your BIOS or make at least sure it's at default settings except XMP when applicable,  update your chipset, update windows. 

Then set windows power plan to "windows balanced".

Check idle voltage again. 

It should be fixed.

Correct. This does fix the issue. Thanks