Powerline adapter having issues during the evening, change

hellfirofdoom

Hello, I'm currently using a powerline adapter (the TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT AV600 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, to get wifi on my desktop with CIK Telecom, a Canadian internet provider. I've been using this powerline adapter since July 2018, and I haven't had any significant problems with it until a few weeks ago, when my ping in League of Legends during the evening suddenly spiked to 80-100 (from the usual 45). I'm not sure of the exact cause, I thought it was maybe because of the bad location of my powerline adapter (there has always been a red signal on it), but I didn't think too much about it and just didn't play as much League during the evening, but Christmas vacations are coming and I'm still getting this issue. I was wondering what I should do to have a more steady ping except from changing Internet provider, which I may consider if my ping keeps on spiking during the evening. 

I'm not an expert on Network in general, but I've heard of Network adapters, wifi extender, using a 50 ft long cable (don't think my parents would appreciate that though). There are probably some other options but as I said, I don't know much about Network. I know Network adapters serve to make you connect to a wifi wirelessly, but at the cost of consistency, and wifi extenders are self-explanatory, they extend your wifi, but that's all I know. Thank you for the people who send me recommandations! 

I'm a little confused by your setup. The purpose of Powerline adapters is to enable you to get a wired location somewhere in your home where running a network cable is not a easy option. So why is it that you're using a powerline adapter to run your desktop wirelessly? A power outlet is next to your computer. There should be others nearby if the signal is bad. Connect it directly to the powerline adapter.

Otherwise it sounds like the signal was bad to start with. As equipment ages and other potentially unknown variables occur can cause unexpected issues. I would start by trying a different outlet. Perhaps one on a known different circuit breaker. This may improve the situation.

I think I did not express myself well, I meant that I'm currently using a Powerline adapter to get wired network because that was the first thing I thought of before buying my PC and I heard that wired network is more consistent than wireless. I will try to find another outlet to plug my powerline adapter into.

14 minutes ago, hellfirofdoom said:

I think I did not express myself well, I meant that I'm currently using a Powerline adapter to get wired network because that was the first thing I thought of before buying my PC and I heard that wired network is more consistent than wireless. I will try to find another outlet to plug my powerline adapter into.

Ah, makes more sense now, and you would be correct. Wired is much more consistent/reliable than wireless.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Wired is much more consistent/reliable than wireless.

Do you still think that buying a decent network adapter or wifi extender would be okay for gaming since my connection can't really get any worse anyway?

1 minute ago, hellfirofdoom said:

Do you still think that buying a decent network adapter or wifi extender would be okay for gaming since my connection can't really get any worse anyway?

Gaming on wireless is doable just that it's subject to lag/spikes in ping. Using the 5GHz band seem to have much lower latency and higher consistency than 2.4GHz but it can't transmit as far or though as many objects so you'll kind of have to pick your poison.

If you have no option other than wireless though I would use 5GHz then whichever 802.11 standard that operates in the 5GHz band that suits your bandwidth requirements. Do note your NIC needs to support the standard to use it.

Hmm, okay, thanks for your insight. I'll probably just try to change my pc location and find a better port to connect my powerline adapter or try out a network adapter.