Game slowing down then speeding back up

TheOrangeBoy

I dont really know what's the cause od that, it overlaps with my cat spilling some beer on the monitor, but its doesnt seem like a screen issue. Now to exactly what is happening. When im playing a game, everything slows down, exactly like if you slowed time down, and then it speeds back up to catch up. It happens constantly and a whole cycle takes about 2-3 seconds. Help

what game? some games run they're everythign with the framerate, so at 60fps everything runs fine, until you realize that if you drop below 60 then it becomes like slow motion.

check task manager to see if there are any tasks in the background spiking in  resources while running the game.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

8 minutes ago, Ecchi said:

What game(s)? Computer specs?

Noticed it in league of legends. FPS never drops below 144 locked. Its a new pc. Ryzen 3600 and rx5700 xt

8 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

what game? some games run they're everythign with the framerate, so at 60fps everything runs fine, until you realize that if you drop below 60 then it becomes like slow motion.

check task manager to see if there are any tasks in the background spiking in  resources while running the game.

Its not a performance problem. The gamę is locked on 144 FPS, and practically never drops. It doesnt get choppy, i dont loose framerate. Its literally slow motion. Noticed on League od legends. Pc is ryzen 3600 and rx5700 xt

1 minute ago, TheOrangeBoy said:

Its literally slow motion

as in delayed frames being put onto the monitor?

do you have a second display to test?

does changing the display output do anything?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

also check your network connection. could be you're receiving info delayed.

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Technically yes, except my mouse isnt delayed, even ingame. Im super weirded out by that, ill try swapping displays when i'm back home

4 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

also check your network connection. could be you're receiving info delayed.

Any way to check that in particular? I didnt notice any internet issues lately i have 50mbps connection and its actually surprisingly stable

Technically yes, except my mouse isnt delayed, even ingame. Im super weirded out by that, ill try swapping displays when i'm back home

monitor packet loss aswell as ping. could be either of those. ive experienced something similar before related to high ping or sudden excessive packet loss

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

monitor packet loss aswell as ping. could be either of those. ive experienced something similar before related to high ping or sudden excessive packet loss

How can i check which one od those it is

step 1, make sure you're on a wired connection

step 2, check ping
step 3, check if others in the match are experiencing the slowdown as well, it could be the server that's slow
step 4, idk how to do this, but there's a way to check packets, ask someone smarter than me, usually this is the last step if nothing before worked.

edit: forgot to mention this is for internet/ping test

to test monitor, just plug in another monitor to a different port

2 minutes ago, Jumballi said:

step 1, make sure you're on a wired connection

step 2, check ping
step 3, check if others in the match are experiencing the slowdown as well, it could be the server that's slow
step 4, idk how to do this, but there's a way to check packets, ask someone smarter than me, usually this is the last step if nothing before worked.

edit: forgot to mention this is for internet/ping test

Im wired, ping approx 32 noone else noticed those, it happens every day

5 minutes ago, TheOrangeBoy said:

How can i check which one od those it is

games usually have the option to display FPS, ping or packet loss in the top left corner. especially some competetive titles. 

usefull for someone like me where if im doing 1 network heavy ting, my ping goes to 300

11 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

games usually have the option to display FPS, ping or packet loss in the top left corner. especially some competetive titles. 

usefull for someone like me where if im doing 1 network heavy ting, my ping goes to 300

If you ment that, it was not ping or FPS drops both stable at 32 ping and 144fps

If you ment that, it was not ping or FPS drops both stable at 32 ping and 144fps

if its not packet loss at that point, then there is something wrong elsewhere. if mouse behaves normally. it might be GPU?

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

if its not packet loss at that point, then there is something wrong elsewhere. if mouse behaves normally. it might be GPU?

Ryzen 3600 Has no integrated GPU, wouldnt that mean mouse is also processed by the GPU?

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

doubt it's the gpu, he's stated that the mouse continues to run at normal speed while the game lags, normally the mouse would also stutter if the gpu was having issues

Ryzen 3600 Has no integrated GPU, wouldnt that mean mouse is also processed by the GPU?

Input is processed by CPU. Output is displayed by GPU. 

Could be driver related. 

Also is the monitor freesync

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Input is processed by CPU. Output is displayed by GPU. 

Could be driver related. 

Also is the monitor freesync

It is freesync, but for some reason the monitor refresh rate locked itself to 60hz

2 minutes ago, TheOrangeBoy said:

It is freesync, but for some reason the monitor refresh rate locked itself to 60hz

are you using hdmi instead of displayport?

that should get you to 144hz if it supports it

idk if it will help your lag though

are you using hdmi instead of displayport?

that should get you to 144hz if it supports it

idk if it will help your lag though

Using HDMI, was getting 144hz on monitor no problem before beer got spilled on it, now its weird, sometimse 60 sometimes more or just jumping around

4 minutes ago, TheOrangeBoy said:

Using HDMI, was getting 144hz on monitor no problem before beer got spilled on it, now its weird, sometimse 60 sometimes more or just jumping around

the beer was on the monitor? if so just grab your tv and test it on that, it might be a bit funky but at least lets test the monitor frame syncing issue with freesync on a possibly busted panel.

edit: with a different hmdi as well

the beer was on the monitor? if so just grab your tv and test it on that, it might be a bit funky but at least lets test the monitor frame syncing issue with freesync on a possibly busted panel.

edit: with a different hmdi as well

It spilled on the screen and leaked into the controls, do it went crazy opening and scrolling through the panel options. But i dried IT out the best i could and IT seemed fine forba while, yesterday i noticed IT was working on 60hz not 144