2070 Super AIB Models?

Jordan_C21

I would like some insight.. I hear EVGA is a solid brand but theres like 8 different evga 2070 supers and im not super familar with this one brand. I of course know asus strix models are good for overclocking. I hear good things about gigabytes gaming oc model.. just looking for a 2070 super that will fit in my meshify c and overclock well and stay at pretty good temps.

You want RGB? If not get this:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3071-KR

If yes, get this:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3172-KR

EVGA is solid - Also their support is super nice and fast. Had a GTX 570. Overclocked it to death. Replaced within 2 weeks. Only payed for shipping.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

You want RGB? If not get this:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3071-KR

If yes, get this:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-3172-KR

EVGA is solid - Also their support is super nice and fast. Had a GTX 570. Overclocked it to death. Replaced within 2 weeks. Only payed for shipping.

the xc ultra gaming (im assuming is a small out of the box oc which doesnt matter anyways) is the same price. im fully prepared to buy the strix just curious if there are other options, going to further research. thanks dude

Just now, Jordan_C21 said:

the xc ultra gaming (im assuming is a small out of the box oc which doesnt matter anyways) is the same price. im fully prepared to buy the strix just curious if there are other options, going to further research. thanks dude

Yeah, the pre overclocked cards dosen't matter, in fact if you want that you can go to techpowerup and find that BIOS and just flash it. Yes Asus is nice to, but their support if anything breaks isn't to great. Their cards are solid and manufactoring is fully automated by robots, so the chance of anything bad is small.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Yeah, the pre overclocked cards dosen't matter, in fact if you want that you can go to techpowerup and find that BIOS and just flash it. Yes Asus is nice to, but their support if anything breaks isn't to great. Their cards are solid and manufactoring is fully automated by robots, so the chance of anything bad is small.

the only true concern is more of an OCD thing because so far the actual facts check out, those being the strix model is 305mm and my meshify c having max gpu clearance of 315mm, even worst comes to worst i could move a fan.. if only stupid anxiety didnt work this way lol

4 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

I'm pretty sure Nvidia doesn't allow AIB's to bin videochips anymore, so the OC's are nowadays smaller and less significant of a difference. The main differences between models from the same brand are the looks and acoustics.

Personally I have gotten the 2070 Super XC Gaming from EVGA and - other than some coil whine - I have been extremely happy with it.

Not sure if other brands have coil whine noise too, but it might be worth it to buy from a place that offers return for that, if it's something that will annoy you.

For me it's not noticeable at the moment, so I haven't bothered to RMA it or whatever.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Jordan_C21 said:

the only true concern is more of an OCD thing because so far the actual facts check out, those being the strix model is 305mm and my meshify c having max gpu clearance of 315mm, even worst comes to worst i could move a fan.. if only stupid anxiety didnt work this way lol

Haha the strix is 299.7mm so you got plenty of space. Don't worry, it's perfectly fine.

FS in Denmark/EU:

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

Haha the strix is 299.7mm so you got plenty of space. Don't worry, it's perfectly fine.

16 years old, first job, not my first pc but first one completely done by me. will do pictures when done for the rgb goopness this forum has been insanely helpful

10 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

16 years old, first job, not my first pc but first one completely done by me. will do pictures when done for the rgb goopness this forum has been insanely helpful

Just as a heads up, I'm not entirely sure what the pricing situation is where you live but the Strix models you often pay a premium for the name compared to other good brands that offer the same quality (in terms of cooling and acoustics) as the Strix models. Get it if you love the look of the card and feel it will fit your build extremely well but definitely don't get it purely because it's Strix. EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI all make extremely good cards depending on which models you go for. 

If you're unsure in terms of cooling performance just use the GPU cooling tier list to help make your decision:

Good luck with your build!

28 minutes ago, GeLi said:

Just as a heads up, I'm not entirely sure what the pricing situation is where you live but the Strix models you often pay a premium for the name compared to other good brands that offer the same quality (in terms of cooling and acoustics) as the Strix models. Get it if you love the look of the card and feel it will fit your build extremely well but definitely don't get it purely because it's Strix. EVGA, Gigabyte and MSI all make extremely good cards depending on which models you go for. 

If you're unsure in terms of cooling performance just use the GPU cooling tier list to help make your decision:

Good luck with your build!

yes im aware of the "strix tax" at normal prices its about 570 or so ( i would never pay that if im paying closer to 600 ill get a FTW3, however theres a sale rn bringing it down to 550 but the sale is also bringing down other models so im looking around. id love to buy an evga card but im hearing a LOTTTT about coil whine. 

5 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

yes im aware of the "strix tax" at normal prices its about 570 or so ( i would never pay that if im paying closer to 600 ill get a FTW3, however theres a sale rn bringing it down to 550 but the sale is also bringing down other models so im looking around. id love to buy an evga card but im hearing a LOTTTT about coil whine. 

I got an EVGA XC Ultra+ RTX 2070 Super and I had zero coil whine issues so I don't think it's as bad as you might think. I put that card into my friend's system and got myself a 5700 XT instead because of its performance and value.

43 minutes ago, GeLi said:

I got an EVGA XC Ultra+ RTX 2070 Super and I had zero coil whine issues so I don't think it's as bad as you might think. I put that card into my friend's system and got myself a 5700 XT instead because of its performance and value.

i would buy a 5700xt, it was actually what i planned on getting before. except i just have the budget to go higher so why not. plus for whatever reason the 2070 a lot better in 4k and overclocking gets it even higher. 0.1% lows are also better. better but not by insane amounts. if i didnt want to use nvenc or a few other things id go with what you did too. 

28 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

i would buy a 5700xt, it was actually what i planned on getting before. except i just have the budget to go higher so why not. plus for whatever reason the 2070 a lot better in 4k and overclocking gets it even higher. 0.1% lows are also better. better but not by insane amounts. if i didnt want to use nvenc or a few other things id go with what you did too. 

It depends game by game and the latest drivers by AMD boosted the performance of the 5700 XT to close to 2070 Super, even the 2080 actually. Just a shame about the driver bugs in some games (i.e. BFV). But yes, in general and in most titles the 2070 Super has a slight edge. If you're interested in 4k then you should get the 2080 Super, not the 2070 Super. 2070 Super and 5700 XT are optimal for 1440p gaming and high refresh rate 1080p gaming. High refresh rate 1440p and 4k you have to go higher (2080/2080 Super/2080 Ti). I'm talking in general obviously; esport titles will hit 144fps with a 5700XT/2070 Super.

Before deciding what card you should get you should decide what resolution and refresh rate you're realistically looking to play at. No point looking at 4k performance if you're never going to realistically play at 4k. It also depends on titles, 5700 XT outperforms the 2070 Super in some titles and vice versa.

4 minutes ago, GeLi said:

It depends game by game and the latest drivers by AMD boosted the performance of the 5700 XT to close to 2070 Super, even the 2080 actually. But yes, in general and in most titles the 2070 Super has a slight edge. If you're interested in 4k then you should get the 2080 Super, not the 2070 Super. 2070 Super and 5700 XT are optimal for 1440p gaming and high refresh rate 1080p gaming. High refresh rate 1440p and 4k you have to go higher (2080/2080 Super/2080 Ti). I'm taking in general obviously, esport titles will hit 144fps with a 5700XT/2070 Super.

Before deciding what card you should get you should decide what resolution and refresh rate you're realistically looking to play at. No point looking at 4k performance if you're never going to realistically play at 4k. It also depends on titles, 5700 XT outperforms the 2070 Super in some titles and vice versa.

2080 super is out of budget. 1080p 144hz atm but i have a 4k tv, i want to get a 1440p monitor soon. ik the 2070 super isnt really an ideal 4k card, and for longevity it definitely wont hold up in 4k but it will do a good number of current gen games and a whole lot of older gen ones. next gen i dont expect this to do much in 4k at all lolol, ill leave that for my next project later in life.

i saw the new driver for the 5700xt and it peaked my interest, im sure with more optimization the 5700xt might even possibly exceed the 2070 in a few years from finewine, but tbh i truly dont care right now and id like to use nvenc but for a lot of other builders i see how the 5700xt is a complete no brainer.

2 minutes ago, Jordan_C21 said:

2080 super is out of budget. 1080p 144hz atm but i have a 4k tv, i want to get a 1440p monitor soon. ik the 2070 super isnt really an ideal 4k card, and for longevity it definitely wont hold up in 4k but it will do a good number of current gen games and a whole lot of older gen ones. next gen i dont expect this to do much in 4k at all lolol, ill leave that for my next project later in life.

i saw the new driver for the 5700xt and it peaked my interest, im sure with more optimization the 5700xt might even possibly exceed the 2070 in a few years from finewine, but tbh i truly dont care right now and id like to use nvenc but for a lot of other builders i see how the 5700xt is a complete no brainer.

That's fair enough, sounds like the RTX 2070 Super is the right card for you. I recommend the EVGA XC Ultra and the MSI Gaming (X) Trio - both great cards with really good cooling.

Just now, GeLi said:

That's fair enough, sounds like the RTX 2070 Super is the right card for you. I recommend the EVGA XC Ultra and the MSI Gaming (X) Trio - both great cards with really good cooling.

the trio literally will not fit in my case at all ??unless i take a fan out anyways, im using a meshify c. as much as i hate to say it i might get a strix... its $20 off rn and has good overclocking. id go for an evga card i hear a lot of good things about them, customer support being incredible although ive heard about coil whine but im not sure how well that translates to actual people affected, even then i could rma it if i really wanted to.

1 minute ago, Jordan_C21 said:

the trio literally will not fit in my case at all ??unless i take a fan out anyways, im using a meshify c. as much as i hate to say it i might get a strix... its $20 off rn and has good overclocking. id go for an evga card i hear a lot of good things about them, customer support being incredible although ive heard about coil whine but im not sure how well that translates to actual people affected, even then i could rma it if i really wanted to.

Ah yeah completely forgot, my bad haha. Have you tried looking at the GPU cooling tier list for ideas?

22 minutes ago, GeLi said:

Ah yeah completely forgot, my bad haha. Have you tried looking at the GPU cooling tier list for ideas?

i have, ill continue looking. i never thought there would be a day where a strix card would make sense to me