New to AMD build, will a 3700x bottleneck a 2080 Super?

Hello all, I am looking to put together a new build and am new to the red team (amd) but with their new performance i have decided to switch. With that being said I am unsure if the new 3700x will bottleneck a 2080 super. My use case will be predominantly gaming at 1080p ultra 144hz (ideally) with some light blender, CAD and video editing work. Any help or knowledge in this regard would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for your time,

- Pulpypanda

The 3700X is a great pick for high refresh gaming, especially with that 3600MHz memory you chose

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yes, but by such a small amount that it won't really matter. Provided you have fast memory the 3700x at ~4.2ghz will perform around 6-10fps slower than a 9700k at 5ghz. (This is at games that are running in the 120fps + range not at games that would be around 60fps.) Technically this would be a bottleneck, but I don't think you should worry about it. 

yes

though i do have to note, for pure gaming the 3600 and 3700x come very close to each other. for blender and such that'll be different

i also have to note that i would personally swap some parts if not bought already to make it both a better value and a higher quality machine

Just now, Sorenson said:

Yes, but by such a small amount that it won't really matter. Provided you have fast memory the 3700x at ~4.2ghz will perform around 6-10fps slower than a 9700k at 5ghz. (This is at games that are running in the 120fps + range not at games that would be around 60fps.) Technically this would be a bottleneck, but I don't think you should worry about it. 

Thanks! This is what I was thinking and was okay with considering the 3700x's performance with non gaming workloads. And the benefit of going up to a 3800x didn't seem worth the price.

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

yes

though i do have to note, for pure gaming the 3600 and 3700x come very close to each other. for blender and such that'll be different

i also have to note that i would personally swap some parts if not bought already to make it both a better value and a higher quality machine

Cool! Any suggestions for different parts would appreciated. If you could throw an explanation in along with the new parts so I can follow along with the thought process I would be greatly indebted to you.

While i really hate that term, 'bottleneck', it's relative matter. It will yield less FPS in comparison with i9 9900KS overclocked to 5.2GHz. But for this price it's good, R5 3600 has even better value with slightly less FPS but in comparison with R7 3700X the difference would be minuscule.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

13 minutes ago, Pulpypanda said:

Cool! Any suggestions for different parts would appreciated. If you could throw an explanation in along with the new parts so I can follow along with the thought process I would be greatly indebted to you.

- I'd get cheaper AIO, EVGA CLC 280\360, it's solid.

- You don't need X570 board for Ryzen 5\7, i'd go with MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX. Or at most, ASRock X570 Pro 4.

Edit: oh, you need Wi-Fi ? Then it okay i guess.

- Both of these SSDs have very bad value, you can get very fast 1TB NVMe SSD for this price. Or 2TB SSD like Mushkin Pilot for 200$ total, very fast too. No need to pay twice the price for Samsung or buy SATA SSD for the price of NVMe.

- That PSU are bad, IIRC it trips with high power draw GPUs, i'd get Phanteks AMP 550W or Enermax Revolution DF 650W.

- Also that case almost certainly has rather bad airflow, i'd get Phanteks P400A, FD Meshify C, Lian-Li PC-O11 or NZXT H700\710.

Like that :

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($309.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 113.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.38 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Mushkin PILOT 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card  ($739.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Enermax Revolution D.F. 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.92 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($109.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2009.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-15 14:45 EST-0500

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

- That Samsung SSD has very bad value, you can get very fast 1TB NVMe SSD for this price. Or 2TB SSD like Mushkin Pilot for 200$ total, very fast too. No need to pay for Samsung.

I agree with most of what you said except for the SSD. For a boot drive I wouldn't recommend a cheap SSD. Its more expensive because it uses higher quality NAND, has a large DRAM Cache, and a good storage Controller. I think those drives you suggested are great for a secondary game drive, but I wouldn't want my OS on it. 

Just now, Pulpypanda said:

swapped the cooler to a decent aircooler for a much lower price, the motherboard to an a-pro max, as those already have a ryzen 3000 bios and the same 32mb bios chip as x570, the ram to a micron e kit, which can manually do 3600-3800 mhz, the ssd's to the ex950, which is one of the best nvme's in the current market. the 2080s i grabbed a better cooled one for the same price, the case was mostly because it was cheap and from a quick look actually has better airflow. the rm becaus you really don't need 750w, the g3 is eol and has issues because Superflower set protections way too high. The RM is a good psu, with it's only downside being a high-pitched sound when switching between low and high power states (around 90w).

5 minutes ago, Juular said:

it trips with high power draw GPUs

nope, high set protections. that was early focus fx/fm

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I agree with most of what you said except for the SSD. For a boot drive I wouldn't recommend a cheap SSD. Its more expensive because it uses higher quality NAND, has a large DRAM Cache, and a good storage Controller. I think those drives you suggested are great for a secondary game drive, but I wouldn't want my OS on it. 

Yep, and most "cheap" NVMe SSDs qualify for all this. It the product costs twice the price of competition it doesn't necessarily mean that it's better. Check reviews on cheapest NVMe 1TB SSD, MDD BPX Pro and 2TB SSD, Mushkin Pilot, all metrics are excellent, including durability.

SM2262 is a bad controller now?

Speaking of which, wanna make SSD Tier List ? It looks like you have some free time, lurking on threads that aren't your tier lists lol :D

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

Speaking of which, wanna make SSD Tier List ? It looks like you have some free time, lurking on threads that aren't your tier lists lol :D

aegis has these already, actually. and the PSU side already requires a lot of work, so much I'm likely to free up my position to jurrunio soon on motherboards

so at this time, not planning to

and I'm just here because i need my amusement too, you know

11 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

swapped the cooler to a decent aircooler for a much lower price

They're doing video editing tho, it'll be taking off hard.

Just now, Juular said:

They're doing video editing tho, it'll be taking off hard.

which is exactly why you shouldn't do aio. aios are best in bursts, continued is something air shines more.

which is exactly why you shouldn't do aio. aios are best in bursts, continued is something air shines more.

Tell that to my Corsair H115i PRO, 70°C mining 24\7 (100W package) on 500 RPM.

Just now, Juular said:

Tell that to my Corsair H115i PRO, 70°C mining 24\7 (100W package) on 500 RPM.

hi h115i pro, you're best at bursts

also, my gelid phantom says high back, cooling my 8600k at 1.4v no problem at 76c

and costing 30 bucks?

also, my gelid phantom says high back, cooling my 8600k at 1.4v no problem at 76c

At which RPMs ? There also a factor of noise but i agree, if you don't particularly care about it, some cheap-ish air cooler like that Deepcool one or smth like Scythe FUMA 2 would be enough for 100W CPU like R7 3700X.

40 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

SM2262 is a bad controller now?

I’m sorry, did I ever say it was? It’s a good controller but Samsung’s is better. 

43 minutes ago, Juular said:

Yep, and most "cheap" NVMe SSDs qualify for all this. It the product costs twice the price of competition it doesn't necessarily mean that it's better. Check reviews on cheapest NVMe 1TB SSD, MDD BPX Pro and 2TB SSD, Mushkin Pilot, all metrics are excellent, including durability.

That’s good to know. Admittedly I’m a little biased from my past experiences with cheaper SSD’s. Every crucial memory product I have owned has died in around 2-3 years. I personally have never had a Samsung SSD die so I go with those for my boot drive, and then an Intel 660p for secondary storage. I’ll have to look into those SSDs when I need to expand.

1 minute ago, Sorenson said:

Intel 660p

My regret of the year, should've waited for proper reviews on it or wait 2 months more until other SSDs will drop in price too ... I mean, it's not bad SSD for everyday usage but it's sustained write speed is excruciating.

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I’ll have to look into those SSDs when I need to expand.

Also look at ADATA SX8200 Pro and Corsair MP510 which are among the best ones, even competing with 970 PRO but cost just around 120$ for 1TB.

17 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

I’m sorry, did I ever say it was? It’s a good controller but Samsung’s is better. 

very marginally. it's the same controller used in the ex920 and some adata ssds. with the current pricing Samsung charges worth it.

but with that, i selected an ex950 anyways, which has the even better SM2262EN

2 hours ago, Pulpypanda said:

What resolution and refresh frequency you are using? 1440p is more GPU bound, so, the differences are not that marked, esp. if you set everything to maximum quality. : )

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

22 hours ago, Vejnemojnen said:

What resolution and refresh frequency you are using? 1440p is more GPU bound, so, the differences are not that marked, esp. if you set everything to maximum quality. : )

Ideally 1080p ultra at 144hrz, with the goal of hopping up to 1440p at 144hrz. (Sorry for the delayed response, got a bit busy yesterday.)