Can't connect to wifi network unless I have hotspot active on the laptop

jumpinghermit

So I have a weird one ... for the past day I've been struggling with it. 

So I've helped someone install a fresh windows on a laptop. All went well ... but no wifi once in the OS. At first I tried the usual - driver uninstall, driver update via windows. Installed realtek drivers from the web. I did it all via a remote desktop connection, with their laptop connected to the internet via a phone ( phone connected to the internet, plugged in via usb, shared connection ). 

I couldn't get it to work. Everything seems normal, it sees the connections, it sees the wifi networks, but once I try to connect, it just won't connect, just says it can't connect. 

Eventually, while randomly clicking in frustration I was able to connect. At first I didn't realize why ... but then I realized it. 

If the laptop has internet ( via the phone usb connection ), then I can activate Mobile hotspot in the laptop ( turn the laptop into a hotspot ), after I do that, then it connects to the wifi network. And it works. If I pull out the phone, it stays connected and the internet works. I disable Hotspot, and it stays connected. But after a restart, same issue again - it cannot connect directly.

So it's like a loop - if it has internet, it can be a hotspot, if it's a hotspot it can connect. But it cannot connect without having a hotspot, and it cannot have a hotspot without a connection. So I'm basically using the phone to jumpstart the wifi connection. Like you would do with a car.

What the heck is going on ? I've never encountered this issue before. Does anyone have any ideas ?

Worth nothing : while it stays connected, and the internet works, the speed is atrocious ( ~1-2Mbps )