[Solved] ROG STRIX 470x F Issue

zinet

Hi guys,

Couple of days ago i oredered new parts to upgrade my system. So i decided to go for a Ryzen 7 3800x, ASUS ROG x470 F Gaming, 500GB m.2, 1T m.2. and new sticks of Trident Z's  to pair with my existing 16GB of ram to make it 32 GB.

I been troubleshooting for 2 days now and firstly i found out that my new motherboard had to be BIOS updated for the latest 3000 gen Ryzen processors.

I plugged in my Ryzen 5 1600X to BIOS update, that did boot up and everything went well. And this morning i plugged in my 3800X and it booted for one time only, where i was able to allocate my 1TB m.2 and install windows on my 500GB m.2.

Later in the day where I decided to shut down the system so I can start cable managing and close the case off. Booted it again, suddenly nothing just white & yellowgreen QLed indicators.

So i decided to remove the 3800x and plug in the 1600x, it booted, windows and everything with no issues.

So after updating on the 1600x, nvidia drivers, it was able to read all the hardware installed. Then I decided to  plug my 3800x back in, nothing still.

Any ideas? I have pretty much done all the basic things that i could think off.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x

MB: ASUS ROG x470-F Gaming

SSD's: 500GB m.2 & 1T m.2

GFX: 1080 Nvidia EVGA FTW

PSU: RM850 Corsair

RAM: x4 8GB Trident Z's 3200Mhz

Thanks in advance,

zinet.

3 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Clear cmos and battery? 

Cleared CMOS, ejected battery, still the same white and yellow green QLed

Stupid but make sure the main and aux power cables are still fully seated and make sure the RAM is fully seated.

White is VGA and Yellow/Green is boot. That would mean it's possibly a video card issue. If you can double check it's seating and power cables and find nothing then boot with the 1600X and make sure that the card is running at PCIe 3.0 speeds, though if you're using the LATEST BIOS PCIe 4.0 is disabled by that and the previous version. You didn't state which one you're using so I'm going to assume that it's the most current that let you keep 4.0, and that could be the issue.

5 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Stupid but make sure the main and aux power cables are still fully seated and make sure the RAM is fully seated.

White is VGA and Yellow/Green is boot. That would mean it's possibly a video card issue. If you can double check it's seating and power cables and find nothing then boot with the 1600X and make sure that the card is running at PCIe 3.0 speeds, though if you're using the LATEST BIOS PCIe 4.0 is disabled by that and the previous version. You didn't state which one you're using so I'm going to assume that it's the most current that let you keep 4.0, and that could be the issue.

Im guessing the PCIe 3.0 slots? Im not quite sure what youre saying with PCIe speeds, 3.0 and 4.0

13 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Is that the PCIEX16_3 4x-2x switch (Auto) is that the option i should be setting to 4.0?

The 3000 series Ryzen have PCIe 4.0 built into them which is available in some X470 boards until a certain BIOS revision which disabled it due to stability issues. Some PCIe 3.0 video cards have issues when in the top slot and that slot is set to 4.0 speed instead of 3.0 speed. Does this make sense so far?

Which BIOS version are you using?

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

The 3000 series Ryzen have PCIe 4.0 built into them which is available in some X470 boards until a certain BIOS revision which disabled it due to stability issues. Some PCIe 3.0 video cards have issues when in the top slot and that slot is set to 4.0 speed instead of 3.0 speed. Does this make sense so far?

Which BIOS version are you using?

Bios Version: 5406 x64

So lets say its in the 4.0 speed, how do i see the options on which speeds its running currently? Cant see any specifics on BIOS

You're on the most current, it's not an issue with PCIe 4.0 as that's disabled in that bios version.

Can you try a different video card with the 3800X? Can you try the current video card in a different slot?

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

You're on the most current, it's not an issue with PCIe 4.0 as that's disabled in that bios version.

Can you try a different video card with the 3800X? Can you try the current video card in a different slot?

Started working now, changed to 1 pcie slot lower. Thanks for your help!

2 hours ago, zinet said:

Started working now, changed to 1 pcie slot lower. Thanks for your help!

That's odd. That slot is usually connected to the motherboard, not directly to the CPU like the first slot, hopefully a future BIOS update irons out remaining issues with X470 and Ryzen 3000 CPU's. I have the same board but a 2700X, so I can't directly help but I'm happy the slot swap got you going for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually not sure if there's a big impact on moving 1 PCIe lane lower (8x im guessing).. I have 2x m.2 ssd on the board. One underneath the CPU and one at the bottom. When i placed my GPU on the first lane PCIe slot (16x) im guessing. My PC wouldnt boot up, which is very odd. I'm not sure if its somehow or some fix would make it compatible that my m.2 on m.2_1 slot would be running fine + my GPU running on the PCIe 16x slot and the 2nd m.2 on the m.2_2 slot with no issues to encouter at all. Not very sure on this aspect.