Weather sealing and use of hybrid camera under rain

Hey!

As I'm getting a fujifilm xt 30, that is not weather sealed, I was wondering where it would most probably break on the scale of being left in an hermetic box inside a bunker to having the weather equivalent to Linus.

I would think under light rain exposed to water and heavy rain but sheltered it should be fine. Am I wrong on that?

What would be the best solution to use it under heavier rain? I've seen people DIYing it or using rain sleeves. Are those actually effective despite looking precarious?

Thanks all!

33 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Hey!

As I'm getting a fujifilm xt 30, that is not weather sealed, I was wondering where it would most probably break on the scale of being left in an hermetic box inside a bunker to having the weather equivalent to Linus.

I would think under light rain exposed to water and heavy rain but sheltered it should be fine. Am I wrong on that?

What would be the best solution to use it under heavier rain? I've seen people DIYing it or using rain sleeves. Are those actually effective despite looking precarious?

Thanks all!

My experience with cameras is much older, but I wouldn’t want to get the thing actually wet at all.  Lack of weather sealing usually means there’s no gaskets on much of anything so if actual water hits the device it can get inside and cause problems.  High humidity wouldn’t be that big a deal unless you’re moving from hot humid places into cold spaces suddenly and for long periods and wind up with condensation on the internals.  There are cheap devices to weather seal cameras though.  They usually involve some sort of plastic bag with a clear filter you attach to the end of the lens and a glove bag.  Ugly and inconvenient but they work.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ugly and inconvenient but they work.

Ahah that's exactly my style ;)

7 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

Ahah that's exactly my style ;)

If you want to go really cheap you can even make them out of a big ziplock freezer bag, a protective filter (we used to use skylight filters) and some hot glue.  No glove bag so you have to work the camera through the plastic bag.  Real pain for good focusing.  Most cameras are AF now so that may not matter.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you want to go really cheap you can even make them out of a big ziplock freezer bag, a protective filter (we used to use skylight filters) and some hot glue.  No glove bag so you have to work the camera through the plastic bag.  Real pain for good focusing.  Most cameras are AF now so that may not matter.

I don't think I need to go that cheap. I can't justify 600 euros more for a weather sealed version, but was more aiming for a sub 50 euros solution to protect even if it's a pain to use.

Very simple, just get a large plastic bag and cut out a hole on the end of it the diameter of your lens. And don't forget to use a lens hood as well :).

Desktop: Built July 10, 2020; Upgraded March 2023

Ryzen 5 7600, EVGA FTW3 RTX3080 10GB, MSI PRO x670-P mobo, 2x16GB DDR5 5600MHz, 4TB SSD + 1TB SSD + 512GB SSD + 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD, EVGA SuperNova 1000W PSU

Laptop: Asus Zephyrus G14

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660ti, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, 2TB SSD

Folding Rig:

Intel i7-7700, MSI RTX2070, ZOTAC RTX2070 Super, DELL RTX3080, ASUS B250 Mining Expert, 8GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Corsair 1000W PSU

Camera: Canon SL2 (200D)

50mm 1:1.8 II | Sigma 18-250mm 1:3.5-6.3

PCPartPicker F@H

On 12/14/2019 at 6:27 AM, laminutederire said:

Hey!

Thanks all!

Should be OK in damp conditions, but if you expect to be in an environment where there's a lot of water, you will need a rain cover.

Two options you can go with; either get a plastic bag and cut a hole out of the end for your lens to poke out, or get a proper rain cover; there are ready-made plastic ones with an elastic at the hole, or you can pickup something like the Peak Design camera shell:

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/shell

On 12/15/2019 at 3:30 PM, Yobbin >=D said:

Very simple, just get a large plastic bag and cut out a hole on the end of it the diameter of your lens. And don't forget to use a lens hood as well :).

You mean the ones for the sun?

16 hours ago, ThePointblank said:

Should be OK in damp conditions, but if you expect to be in an environment where there's a lot of water, you will need a rain cover.

Two options you can go with; either get a plastic bag and cut a hole out of the end for your lens to poke out, or get a proper rain cover; there are ready-made plastic ones with an elastic at the hole, or you can pickup something like the Peak Design camera shell:

https://www.peakdesign.com/products/shell

I guess the same rules applying to whether or not you'll probably damage paper stored in a weather resistant backpack? Light rain won't change anything, except for very long exposition, and with heavy rain, better have an umbrella to protect that bag otherwise humidity builds up and ruins things.

I guess that's more or less the same threshold?

Thanks, I'll see where I can buy one of those :)

Variant on the screw on filter thing.  If a rubber hood is cheaper it would work.  Won’t actually seal the lens but it would work.  Whichever is cheaper.

23 hours ago, laminutederire said:

I guess the same rules applying to whether or not you'll probably damage paper stored in a weather resistant backpack? Light rain won't change anything, except for very long exposition, and with heavy rain, better have an umbrella to protect that bag otherwise humidity builds up and ruins things.

I guess that's more or less the same threshold?

Thanks, I'll see where I can buy one of those :)

Similar rules; my EOS R isn't fully weather sealed, but I've shot with it in light rain, and the worst that has happened was some condensation in the viewfinder, which went away after a day drying out at home. I wouldn't trust my camera though if it was pouring down hard though.

Otherwise, I shoot with the Peak Design camera shell over it, if I expect it to be raining a lot.

You'd be surprised how much punishment a non-weather sealed camera can take. I have no experience with Fuji, but my old Canon OG 5D and 10D went through hell. I was cycling in a total downpoor with my 5D in my panniers and, at the end of the day, it was completely soaked through. I didn't want to tempt a short, so I took off the lens, took out the battery, and left all the doors open, and left it to bake in my tent on a blisteringly hot day. Once everything had cooled off and the camera dried out, it worked just fine and continued to serve me well for another four years until I upgraded. That said, you don't want to have to rely on that.

So, yeah, a simple sleeve or plastic bag rain shell would be a good idea. My point is that you have to get even non-weather sealed cameras pretty wet before things become a problem.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

On 12/17/2019 at 11:55 PM, YellowJersey said:

You'd be surprised how much punishment a non-weather sealed camera can take. I have no experience with Fuji, but my old Canon OG 5D and 10D went through hell. I was cycling in a total downpoor with my 5D in my panniers and, at the end of the day, it was completely soaked through. I didn't want to tempt a short, so I took off the lens, took out the battery, and left all the doors open, and left it to bake in my tent on a blisteringly hot day. Once everything had cooled off and the camera dried out, it worked just fine and continued to serve me well for another four years until I upgraded. That said, you don't want to have to rely on that.

So, yeah, a simple sleeve or plastic bag rain shell would be a good idea. My point is that you have to get even non-weather sealed cameras pretty wet before things become a problem.

Sounds like I'm overthinking it a but then :) seems like Fuji's have a tough metal body and solid build at least!

well thanks that's reassuring me, I'll still protect it decently to not tempt my faith, but I guess I can get along fine with something that's not like those gigantic rain sleeves that protect super well the camera but also take 3 times more space than the camera itself!

On 12/17/2019 at 11:34 PM, ThePointblank said:

Otherwise, I shoot with the Peak Design camera shell over it, if I expect it to be raining a lot.

Do you have a fancy technique to shoot while keeping it dry with that shell? I understood it's a complete cover, but you have to take off some of that cover to see anything. I guess you don't take it off and shoot in automatic mode? Or manually by presetting a decent exposure first under a porch or something and riding those settings afterwards?

On 12/18/2019 at 5:04 PM, laminutederire said:

Sounds like I'm overthinking it a but then :) seems like Fuji's have a tough metal body and solid build at least!

well thanks that's reassuring me, I'll still protect it decently to not tempt my faith, but I guess I can get along fine with something that's not like those gigantic rain sleeves that protect super well the camera but also take 3 times more space than the camera itself!

A classic. Even after being frozen, shot, dropped down stairs, and set on fire, it still worked.

On 12/18/2019 at 4:04 PM, laminutederire said:

Do you have a fancy technique to shoot while keeping it dry with that shell? I understood it's a complete cover, but you have to take off some of that cover to see anything. I guess you don't take it off and shoot in automatic mode? Or manually by presetting a decent exposure first under a porch or something and riding those settings afterwards?

You can shoot and adjust settings easily under the cover; I just need to pull the rear up over the viewfinder and I can reach all of the physical controls easily on my EOS R, while keeping the body mostly shielded from the elements. You can pull the cover back down to completely cover the camera once there is a pause in shooting.

And the nice thing about it is that it is compatible with the rest of Peak Design's camera accessories, such as their camera straps and clips.

2 hours ago, ThePointblank said:

You can shoot and adjust settings easily under the cover; I just need to pull the rear up over the viewfinder and I can reach all of the physical controls easily on my EOS R, while keeping the body mostly shielded from the elements. You can pull the cover back down to completely cover the camera once there is a pause in shooting.

And the nice thing about it is that it is compatible with the rest of Peak Design's camera accessories, such as their camera straps and clips.

The less you have to change settings and the more you know your camera the better I guess?

I heard the clip is amazing isn't it?

What about something like this? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicon-Rubber-Case-Cover-Skin-Protector-for-Fujifilm-X-T30-Camera/264489695067?hash=item3d94d0775b:m:mAX_CgZb1lOsRoUGzO--2_g

17 hours ago, laminutederire said:

The less you have to change settings and the more you know your camera the better I guess?

I heard the clip is amazing isn't it?

As long as you get the appropriately sized version of the cover, you should have more than enough room inside the cover to have your fingers easily manipulate the dials and buttons. I went with the large version of the shell, which fits my EOS R a bit loose, even with my usual telephoto lenses attached, which means it is easier to pull the cover up and access the controls for shooting.

I also generally like the Canon UI system, especially their touchscreen interfaces; it's one thing Canon does extremely well. I can easily access and modify any camera setting via the touchscreen if necessary rather than using any physical dial.

And yes, the Peak Design clips and straps are extremely well designed and built; most of their stuff is extremely well thought out and built. Not cheap though, but you do get the quality.

On 12/21/2019 at 5:59 AM, YellowJersey said:

A classic. Even after being frozen, shot, dropped down stairs, and set on fire, it still worked.

I'll try that when I'll be rich enough ;)

9 hours ago, laminutederire said:

I'll try that when I'll be rich enough ;)

More of an example of just what modern cameras can take.

if the box is tight, and your body went in dry, it should be fine, I've used the x-t30 even in decent rain and it work fine.

11 hours ago, Williamchan87 said:

if the box is tight, and your body went in dry, it should be fine, I've used the x-t30 even in decent rain and it work fine.

Just got it today, and it's amazing ? you mean in the rain in a protective hood?

On 12/25/2019 at 2:22 PM, laminutederire said:

Just got it today, and it's amazing ? you mean in the rain in a protective hood?

No, I just had it with the 35mm 1.4 right into rain, no cover or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the X-T3, which is weather sealed, but I also had my a6000 sprayed over in a watershow and it worked fine (not sealed). While I am confident that my X-T3 is able to survive a light shower with the 50-140, I doubt it can handle anything more. For the X-T30, just treat it like any piece of electronic equipment and try to avoid direct water contact as much as possible. 

BUT always remember that weather sealing is not an excuse to be reckless. It will help out in cold conditions or in inclement weather but if you're shooting in a heavy downpour, always use a rain cover. And don't forget that a weather sealed body has to be combined with a weather sealed lens, otherwise it's not fully sealed. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

I have the X-T3, which is weather sealed, but I also had my a6000 sprayed over in a watershow and it worked fine (not sealed). While I am confident that my X-T3 is able to survive a light shower with the 50-140, I doubt it can handle anything more. For the X-T30, just treat it like any piece of electronic equipment and try to avoid direct water contact as much as possible. 

BUT always remember that weather sealing is not an excuse to be reckless. It will help out in cold conditions or in inclement weather but if you're shooting in a heavy downpour, always use a rain cover. And don't forget that a weather sealed body has to be combined with a weather sealed lens, otherwise it's not fully sealed. 

D70B5D05-207F-48AA-9C68-4E40F5EEAB95.jpeg.beaaab0b6137ffe0c56cc42ea978888a.jpeg