What's the best parts for a budget (custom made) NAS Storage in Canadian USED parts?

Nicklordzero

Looking to make a NAS Storage as my youtube channel's videos are already filling up my 8TB Hard Disks... I am unable to buy something like Synology so I am thinking of building my own server. I have a server chassis i got from work for free that uses ATX Power Supplies so i will probably start from there. 

Would anyone be willing to help me figure out the best but cheapest parts to use? Would probably use Kijiji and eBay.ca for this...

How are your videos taking up that much space...

Do you even need to store them anyway? They're already uploaded.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can use just about any old desktop hardware. If you want to build a proper server with server parts eBay has cheap deals on barebone Supermicro servers. You'll have to supply your own CPU & RAM but they go for $100~200 depending on how much power/expansion you're after.

If you want something non-proprietary you'll likely find some used Standard form factor gear for a fair price.

Do note though especially if you plan to go the used route do keep a backup of all your data somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

How are your videos taking up that much space...

Do you even need to store them anyway? They're already uploaded.

I run 5 channels. Most are from family members. One sibling makes so many click bait videos it's hard to keep them in control. The reason they are so full is because the videos are recorded in 4K UHD and we keep them in our backups due to whenever YouTube kicks the bucket due to their TOS always changing. 

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You can use just about any old desktop hardware. If you want to build a proper server with server parts eBay has cheap deals on barebone Supermicro servers. You'll have to supply your own CPU & RAM but they go for $100~200 depending on how much power/expansion you're after.

If you want something non-proprietary you'll likely find some used Standard form factor gear for a fair price.

Do note though especially if you plan to go the used route do keep a backup of all your data somewhere else.

Honestly, I was thinking of using High-End old generation hardware like 2nd - 3rd Gen parts since i heard having an i3-i5 is best for these custom built NAS systems. Could you possibly give me a PC PART PICKER or some sort of idea on what parts i should choose?

14 minutes ago, Nicklordzero said:

I run 5 channels. Most are from family members. One sibling makes so many click bait videos it's hard to keep them in control. The reason they are so full is because the videos are recorded in 4K UHD and we keep them in our backups due to whenever YouTube kicks the bucket due to their TOS always changing. 

And then you'll upload 8TB of video to dailymotion or something? Sure...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 hours ago, Nicklordzero said:

Honestly, I was thinking of using High-End old generation hardware like 2nd - 3rd Gen parts since i heard having an i3-i5 is best for these custom built NAS systems. Could you possibly give me a PC PART PICKER or some sort of idea on what parts i should choose?

I don't use PCPP. Are you looking for something power efficient or are you looking for something that can do more than just hold your data?

I'm a bit of an enthusiast. I'm all over Socket LGA2011/2011v3 & AMD TR/EPYC. If all you want is a NAS it's overkill. I haven't been paying much attention to the lower-end. Right now I believe Socket LGA1150 is the predecessor to LGA1151 (the latest mainstream socket). You may find some good deals for a motherboard and second hand Xeon. 8GB of RAM should be enough until you decide to have the NAS do more thing at once.

On 12/13/2019 at 10:36 PM, Nicklordzero said:

look on craigslist (or whatever you have in CAN) and try and find an old office pc thats being sold for cheap.