Please fix rolleyes.gif

minibois
On 12/14/2019 at 1:16 PM, colonel_mortis said:

My understanding of the gif standard is that you can't have partial alpha values, so you have a choice between aliasing and a white border. As such, I don't think there's much that you can do that won't still look bad somewhere.

On 12/14/2019 at 3:13 PM, Arika S said:

Each pixel of a gif either needs to be fully transparent, or fully opaque. making it pretty much impossible to create animated emoticons with anti-aliasing look right on different backgrounds. 

So either dark themes users would have to put up with the white silliness,Light theme users would have to put up with black silliness, or create an emoticon with zero anti-aliasing, everything would need to be pixel perfect

Thank you both for the valuable information on how gif deals with opacity.

In my free time over the last week or so I have been trying to recreate the gif and this is kinda what I came up with:

Original: 9_9 (705B, 20x20)

My edit: 1767953419_gifv61.gif.8fd18432633aa41c53f5659d5377103a.gif (5.13KB, 80x80)

My edit, but at half resolution: 1042307179_gifv72.gif.599702dd9bc32af9c3717cc3188c4745.gif (2.76KB, 40x40)

Another forum emote, as comparison: :P (3.16KB, 80x80)

The edit I made has been made in Inkscape in the vector format and then I just exported it at a lower resolution than it would be displayed (80x80 and 40x40, display resolution is 20x20).

This approach is something inspired by how the other emotes on this forum work. Because of the downscaling (to the display resolution of 20x20), it removes some of the blemishes in the picture. I avoided anti-aliasing as much as possible, which means the edges can look kind of rough though.

On my desktop (in light and dark theme) it all looks pretty similar, but on mobile, it is quite noticable that the lower resolution pictures is in fact lower resolution.

Something I have noticed though, is kind of a sharp border on the sides and bottom (not on the diagonal sides) on a light background, but I am not sure what the cause of that is (it's more noticeable on the lower resolution picture).

Not sure what I am trying to provide with this post, but it was kind of a fun 'exercise' in trying out some different ways to export a .gif.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

On 12/18/2019 at 11:53 PM, minibois said:

Thank you both for the valuable information on how gif deals with opacity.

In my free time over the last week or so I have been trying to recreate the gif and this is kinda what I came up with:

Original: 9_9 (705B, 20x20)

My edit: 1767953419_gifv61.gif.8fd18432633aa41c53f5659d5377103a.gif (5.13KB, 80x80)

My edit, but at half resolution: 1042307179_gifv72.gif.599702dd9bc32af9c3717cc3188c4745.gif (2.76KB, 40x40)

Another forum emote, as comparison: :P (3.16KB, 80x80)

The edit I made has been made in Inkscape in the vector format and then I just exported it at a lower resolution than it would be displayed (80x80 and 40x40, display resolution is 20x20).

This approach is something inspired by how the other emotes on this forum work. Because of the downscaling (to the display resolution of 20x20), it removes some of the blemishes in the picture. I avoided anti-aliasing as much as possible, which means the edges can look kind of rough though.

On my desktop (in light and dark theme) it all looks pretty similar, but on mobile, it is quite noticable that the lower resolution pictures is in fact lower resolution.

Something I have noticed though, is kind of a sharp border on the sides and bottom (not on the diagonal sides) on a light background, but I am not sure what the cause of that is (it's more noticeable on the lower resolution picture).

Not sure what I am trying to provide with this post, but it was kind of a fun 'exercise' in trying out some different ways to export a .gif.

Well, for what it's worth I like your edit a lot better but I'm on dark theme so I can't know how it looks on light theme?  Otherwise I think this should be implemented asap as the broken emote looks *really* weird @.@

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/21/2019 at 2:41 PM, Mark Kaine said:

Well, for what it's worth I like your edit a lot better but I'm on dark theme so I can't know how it looks on light theme?  Otherwise I think this should be implemented asap as the broken emote looks *really* weird @.@

It looks good overall but on the light theme a small portion of the bottom is straight like it was cut slightly before the bottom.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566