Facebook to use Oculus VR Data for Ad Purposes

LAwLz
7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The problem is not that,  The problem is what if there is no other way to LFG or chat using the Oculus outside of Facebook link?    How would you appreciate playing wow, ESO or SC if the entire social side of the game required a facebook account.  It's O.K you can still play the game, you just can't message people or chat while using the oculus.

It may be a slippery slope argument but unlike most slippery slope arguments facebook tying chat and message functions to facebook is already a slope and not just a ledge we can't see past.   Only time will tell if there will be alternatives to this.  I certainly hope I am wrong.  VR was something I was hoping would actually become a thing,  but if this is the direction it goes then fuck it all.  I hate facebook enough as it is without them weeding their way into the games I play.

There already are other ways to LFG or chat. For the longest time the Oculus software didn't even have such features.

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

@Sakkura

It's really not. It's mostly people buying into the VR hype how "it's really taking off this time" and yet almost everyone who bought it have dust collecting on it most of the time. Or they hate the VR set they bought because it has some stupid limitation or problems. Or the games for them have stupid design like motion locked to teleporting only which is just horrible.

The only game I can see as breaking the ice is Valve's Half-Life: Alyx, but buying a 500€ VR headset for 1 game is a dumb investment. I'd rather invest that kind of money into new graphic card and then be able to use it in 100% of games and play them with jaw dropping visual quality and insane framerate.

Except that's not the reality. You're just imagining things. Millions of people bought PSVR headsets and use them.

On PC we just saw Boneworks sell more than 200K copies in a couple of days.

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

There already are other ways to LFG or chat. For the longest time the Oculus software didn't even have such features.

And now you can use facebook too, Oh the joy.  Lets see where this goes.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's not a good look for Facebook when a majority of us - heck, maybe neary all of us - have been so exposed to Facebook's shady business that we're de-sensitized from what they're doing this time around and under the impression that this is the norm for Facebook now.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

This really isn't anything new and most probably Facebook is going or will go full on data mine without options or questions at sometime because it's Facebook we are talking about (and they love that stuff, just look at how many webpages have that Like-button following you everywhere nd mining all your data). Just add to this that Oculus is the company that more focuses on stand-alone VR devices that don't require PC (I would like to say don't want to have the chance that someone with a PC blocks Facebook or goes around their systems) which isn't bad in idea, but when you count in that it's Facebook behind them it kind of sets some smell of burning.

8 hours ago, LAwLz said:

It's like this with essentially everything these days, and barely anyone is getting fined for it. When someone do get fined, the fees are so low compared to the money they made that it's profitable to break the law even when caught. 

It's the same with Android phones and Windows 10 already. If you use it then you have no choice but to let them collect a ton of personal information about you which they can use pretty much however they want. 

iOS does it as well. They don't sell the advertising to others (which is a big difference from Android and Windows) but they do explicitly use iTunes and the like for it.

Also most of it is stored on the device and used to market that way.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

iOS does it as well. They don't sell the advertising to others (which is a big difference from Android and Windows) but they do explicitly use iTunes and the like for it.

But that's kinda the point, but only until you go into creepy territory like Google does. For example, I don't mind if Valve knows which games I like to pay and relevantly recommends me similar games. Same for Netflix. Or for music on iTunes. Where Google and Facebook want to know how often you wank and using what sock specifically down to what kind of fiber and pattern is in it, where, how often and at what speed. That's just freaking creepy and not something they ever need to know, but they want to know and desperately try to know. That's the problem.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:19 AM, Sakkura said:

Except that's not the reality. You're just imagining things. Millions of people bought PSVR headsets and use them.

On PC we just saw Boneworks sell more than 200K copies in a couple of days.

Just to piggyback on this, there are loads of really fantastic VR games out there with tons of players. The problem is that people who don't like or "get" VR solely equate "games" with "AAA style narrative experiences". Those types of games do exist in VR, but they typically don't really take advantage of the hardware in the same way that the more simplistic, arcadey games tend to. 

I swear, it's like none of the VR critics have ever seen racing wheels or HOTAS before - and even that's not a great comparison since the genres that you can play with a VR headset are way broader than what you'd get with any other type of niche peripheral. But the idea that there can be specialized hardware for specialized games has been around for decades and everyone treats VR like its somehow completely outside the norm to spend a bunch of money for a unique experience. Hell, remember Rock Band? You could easily spend $300+ on hardware for a single game and everyone was totally fine with that. 

6 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

MS doesn't sell data for advertising, It has a few paragraphs in their privacy policy about 3rd parties, that usually relates to things like ios and android using bing search app etc.   I have yet to see any evidence to counter the claims they make both publicly and in their privacy policy about this though. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.