[LInux] Access windows share in Elementary OS

Go to solution Solved by PCturbobutton,

OK I don't know what I did different but, I restarted the laptop and did a manual connect within the files app, and it seems to be working at least for specific folders.

I don't know how to get it to show all the shared folders rather than having to manually add each one though.

If I set it up as a windows share then leave folder as \ it refuses to do anything until I actually give it a folder.

I just installed Elementary OS onto my Dell laptop with  most of the basics setup and working bar one thing, windows shares from my main desktop running windows 10.

I open up files, hit Entire Network then Windows Network and finally workgroup where I can see my windows desktop called Desktop-xxxxxxxxx (X=A bunch of random letters it was assigned on installed).

If I click on my desktop I get a popup asking what app to use, so naturally I click Files and have set as default checked but all it then does is open a new tab with workgroup folder and clicking on the desktop again brings up the default app selection popup.

Anyone know whats wrong here? I'm a NOOB with linux so don't know what I'm doing hence going with Elementary OS.

Desktop: Project 2019

Ryzen 5 2600|2x8gb Vegeance LPX|ASRock B40M Pro4

Sapphire NITRO+ RX 570 8 GB|be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600w

AData 240gb SSD

Laptop: Asus TUF Gaming F15

Core i5 - 11400H|16gb RAM|512GB M.2 SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

Atari 540 STE|IBM Thinkpad 760ED

Did you actually create a shared directory on your Windows machine?

I've never used Elementary OS, but I assume you may have to install cifs, which adds support for Windows shares. These instructions are for Debian/Ubuntu, but should probably work for Elementary OS (it's based on Ubuntu right?): https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Mounting_a_Windows_Share_in_Linux

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/share /mnt -o user=testuser

This will mount the share named "share" into the local "/mnt" directory. If you haven't created a share, Windows should have a default share named c$ (for the C:\ drive), but I'm not sure if this is still the case with Windows 10.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Did you actually create a shared directory on your Windows machine?

I've never used Elementary OS, but I assume you may have to install cifs, which adds support for Windows shares. These instructions are for Debian/Ubuntu, but should probably work for Elementary OS (it's based on Ubuntu right?): https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Mounting_a_Windows_Share_in_Linux

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/share /mnt -o user=testuser

This will mount the share named "share" into the local "/mnt" directory. If you haven't created a share, Windows should have a default share named c$ (for the C:\ drive), but I'm not sure if this is still the case with Windows 10.

I have several shares on windows that I access via my phone and previously via windows on this laptop before I switched OS so it works fine except on the new OS.

Elementary is based on Ubuntu LTS.

I installed cifs and then put the following with my username and password of course but it gives me a error ( mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
- sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.8/DESKTOP-SBHQKUD /mnt -o user=  [My username] password: [My Password]

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.

3 minutes ago, PCturbobutton said:

I have several shares on windows that I access via my phone and previously via windows on this laptop before I switched OS so it works fine except on the new OS.

Elementary is based on Ubuntu LTS.

I installed cifs and then put the following with my username and password of course but it gives me a error ( mount error(13): Permission denied
- sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.8/DESKTOP-SBHQKUD /mnt -o user=  [My username] password: [My Password]

Maybe this video might be helpful to you.

PSA: I encourage you to encrypt messages with PGP | You can find my PGP and XMPP details with Fingerprint IDs here and a How-To Guide here.

Current Home lab Setup:

Spoiler

1 x HP ProLiant DL360 Gen5 Server with 2 x Intel® Xeon® Processor E5440 4 Core | 16 GB DDR2 ECC RAM | Proxmox VE | 146 GB SAS | Status: Not in use.

1 x Custom NAS Server with Intel® Core® i3 4th Gen | 8 GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | Ubuntu + KDE | 3 TB HDD | Status: Active

1 x Custom Container/Docker Server with Intel® Core® i3 3rd Gen | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | Ubuntu 16.04 Gnome | 500 GB HDD | Status: Active

1 x Custom Hosting/Encoding Server with Intel® Xeon® 1220 V3 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC RAM | Ubuntu Server | 120 GB SSD | Status: Not in use.

1 x Gaming PC with Intel® Core® i5 6400 | 16 GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 PRO | 2 TB HDD + 120 GB SSD | Status: Active.

1 minute ago, PCturbobutton said:

Make sure the "/mnt" directory actually exists on your machine. It's probably better to create a directory for this in your home directory, for example:

mkdir ~/mnt
mount -t cifs -o username=<username>,password=<password> //192.168.0.8/<name-of-share> ~/mnt

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

OK I don't know what I did different but, I restarted the laptop and did a manual connect within the files app, and it seems to be working at least for specific folders.

I don't know how to get it to show all the shared folders rather than having to manually add each one though.

If I set it up as a windows share then leave folder as \ it refuses to do anything until I actually give it a folder.

AData 240gb SSD

Nvidia RTX 3050 4GB

Retro Tech stuff.