Lessen audio Cipping?

Hi there,

I have a pc on which I used equalizer APO and Peace (peace is just a UI for APO) to bass boost the audio. That pc is hooked up directly to 2 proffesional grade amplifiers.

However, since it's bass boosted, the audio clips at (relatively) high sound levels. Is there any way to fix this? like getting a discrete sound card which handles this bass boost a bit better? (it's hooked up to the integrated sound card right now)

Or not bass boosting using software at all and getting a seperate equalizer?

Or is there just nothing I can do against this?

Thanks in advance :)

ps. I know I can just make the bass boost less agressive but I don't want less bass ?

Step one seems to be if the clipping is actually an artifact of the bass boost function or not.

Does it clip when the bass isn’t boosted?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@Bombastinator No, it doesn't clip when the bass boost is turned off so that does seem to be the problem

@Nimrodor That's the problem, I don't want to do that because then my volume would be lower :p

Wouldn't a sound card work because it can output at a higher volume?

14 minutes ago, Daan32 said:

@Bombastinator No, it doesn't clip when the bass boost is turned off so that does seem to be the problem

@Nimrodor That's the problem, I don't want to do that because then my volume would be lower ?

Wouldn't a sound card work because it can output at a higher volume?

Depends on if the sheer volume of base is what is causing the clipping.  If it’s that loud you could be just overloading things.  Might not be something you can edit.

This is why people put absurdly huge amps in car audio.  Thumpa thumpa eats a lot of power.

IF this is the issue, a subwoofer with its own amp might help. Split the 2.0 into 2.1 and make the base its own thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

53 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Depends on if the sheer volume of base is what is causing the clipping.  If it’s that loud you could be just overloading things.  Might not be something you can edit.

This is why people put absurdly huge amps in car audio.  Thumpa thumpa eats a lot of power.

IF this is the issue, a subwoofer with its own amp might help. Split the 2.0 into 2.1 and make the base its own thing.

that won't work, we allready have our complete audio set, we've just been using it by dialing back (lowering the volume) the amps a little

1 hour ago, Daan32 said:

@Nimrodor That's the problem, I don't want to do that because then my volume would be lower ?

1 minute ago, Daan32 said:

we've just been using it by dialing back (lowering the volume) the amps a little

You need to do the opposite. Dial back the preamp on the PC so that the PC's output is clean, then increase volume on the amps to get what you need.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

12 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You need to do the opposite. Dial back the preamp on the PC so that the PC's output is clean, then increase volume on the amps to get what you need.

ok well that sounds sensible ?

(that I didn't think of that myself lol ?‍♂️)

but if I do this (so I have a clean output signal from my pc) will I be able to add a pre amp between the pc and the amp to make the signal a little louder?

I might just try that and return the pre amp if it doesn't work but if you guys know for sure that it doesn't work I don't have to try of course ?

EDIT: I think i've tried that before and the audio still clipped, however, i'm not sure, so I'll have to find out this friday I guess

12 minutes ago, Daan32 said:

I think i've tried that before and the audio still clipped

If you've made sure the PC's output doesn't clip and there's still clipping then it's either the amp or speakers that can't take that much.

12 minutes ago, Daan32 said:

but if I do this (so I have a clean output signal from my pc) will I be able to add a pre amp between the pc and the amp to make the signal a little louder?

Possibly, unless the above.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2