5700XT or 2070Super

Baiter

So i was originally going to go with a 2070Super the MSI gaming X version. However, i was curious and checked out some of the after market 5700XT such as the Gigabyte and Sapphire and even the MSI version. 

I play a lot of shooters and i tend to get competitive when playing (BFV, APEX, COD) as well as MMOS and RPS such as XIV, Witcher, Dragon Age, and Tomb Raider. I plan on finally switching over to 1140p 144hz gaming, so i would like a GPU that can handle such tasks and well as delivering high FPS with maxed if not close to max settings. Guess my question is should i stick to my original plan and go 2070 super or would of the 5700xt after market ones be better.

Where are you located? Some places have much higher prices for the 2070

So if thats the case, get the 5700 xt

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Sorry forgot to mention that. I am located in the US

2070 Super on average across many games can be somewhat faster, the question is does that justify it costing $100 more.  The easy answer, if you're seeing good 1440P fps is, no, may as well go bang/buck if you're spending that much, make the dollars count.  If you're comparing a $500 card to a $400 card and the 500-one isn't HANDILY winning at all games, than something's wrong with the pricing scheme.  That something, would be NVIDIA thinking people will pay more for RTX alone, as the raw FPS does not back up the price.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1902-geforce-rtx-2070-super-vs-radeon-5700-xt/

13 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

2070 Super on average across many games can be somewhat faster, the question is does that justify it costing $100 more.  The easy answer, if you're seeing good 1440P fps is, no, may as well go bang/buck if you're spending that much, make the dollars count:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1902-geforce-rtx-2070-super-vs-radeon-5700-xt/

Thank you for the link really informative 

24 minutes ago, Baiter said:

So i was originally going to go with a 2070Super the MSI gaming X version. However, i was curious and checked out some of the after market 5700XT such as the Gigabyte

Just overclock a cheaper RX 5700 at $300-350

Also for fps games why not just go for a 1080p 240hz? Harder to hit that in non esports titles due to CPU/engine limitations though.

Should also really stick to medium/high settings to avoid potential fps drops, and it's not like there's usually a big upgrade to go for ultra despite the fps drop.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

42 minutes ago, Baiter said:

Sorry forgot to mention that. I am located in the US

5700xt. You save $100ish or more and you can put that toward more capacity ssd or ram.

Is price a concern?  If not 2070 Super is all around going to be a little faster most of the time, the main reason to get a RX5700 or XT is value, likewise if you prefer the driver features it offers (RIS in conjuncture with downsampling to 1 step lower resolution, 1080p on 1440p monitor works a lot better then DLSS).  With 5700XT after market cards they offer way better thermals and noise, but not much performance over reference so if you got one, get a cheaper PowerColor, Gigabyte, or Sapphire at around 420-430$, no need to shell out for ones near 500$, at that price get the 2070 Super instead.

If cheaper prices is main goal + you enjoy tweaking and messing with hardware then ultimate deal is to get a AIB 5700 for 330-360$, ideally with duel fans, and flash bios for XT clockspeeds and bumped up "Power Limit +50%" to get within about 92-95% of performance of of XT or 87-92ish% of 2070 for 7/8 or 2/3 the cost respectively.  No additional memory or clockspeed OC required, just flash+50% Power, but you could if silicon is very good. i did this and can highly recommend it for 1080p 144hz, but it has some (very small if done patiently, choose correct XT vbios) risk involved, its an option if you like saving cash and hotrodding hardware. 

Spoiler

Cost.png

Final factor is if you stream, its easier to setup 2070S correctly and can again on average handle it a bit better, but with right settings in OBS 5700(XT) can still do it nearly as well. 

5 minutes ago, jamieyeung0310 said:

2070S = dlss + rts feature + bit faster.

5700xt = -$100

RIS is considered better by people who have reviewed both, in regards to both performance but also mainly image quality. 

Techniques like Ray Marching, what RDR2 and the Neon Noir Benchmark is using are enabling ray tracing without use of fixed-function hardware like the Tensor cores that make a RTX card a RTX card.  Next gen consoles are all going to be on AMD hardware and any game developed for them with any form of ray tracing won't utilize RTX.  

You buy a 2070S because its slightly faster and you don't care about the cost, the RTX feature it has aren't likely to move forward into future titles with exception of if say Nvidea pressures a handful of devs releasing games in early 2020 to use it, it will be dead by the time next gen consoles come out, people have already found better, more universal techniques. 

32 minutes ago, Otto_iii said:

RIS is considered better by people who have reviewed both, in regards to both performance but also mainly image quality. 

Techniques like Ray Marching, what RDR2 and the Neon Noir Benchmark is using are enabling ray tracing without use of fixed-function hardware like the Tensor cores that make a RTX card a RTX card.  Next gen consoles are all going to be on AMD hardware and any game developed for them with any form of ray tracing won't utilize RTX.  

You buy a 2070S because its slightly faster and you don't care about the cost, the RTX feature it has aren't likely to move forward into future titles with exception of if say Nvidea pressures a handful of devs releasing games in early 2020 to use it, it will be dead by the time next gen consoles come out, people have already found better, more universal techniques. 

Yup! 100%sure. in the future. when radeon fix driver issue.lol

4 minutes ago, jamieyeung0310 said:

There's nothing wrong with AMD's drivers,, actually GPU chill is really nice, nvidia should offer something similar to it.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

8 hours ago, jamieyeung0310 said:

It's comments like this that keep NVIDIA market share high even when their GPUs aren't best-value FPS per $.  Why bother reading on a topic (that dead horse was beaten long ago) when you can just crap on the company arbitrarily.  Like NVIDIA never released a bad driver or a bug in their drivers, it would seem some people just don't meme it up about them to protect their assumption that one is always better to avoid having to think.

Honestly it is a hard choice.  The 2070 Super is $100 but then again your not rolling the dice on if you are going to have driver issues or not.  To be fair, MOST people aren't having all that many problems with the 5700 XT drivers but enough people are to make it something you want to keep in mind.  Personally from what I have been reading, I think most of the driver issues are related to third party software being used, things such as overlays, overclocking utilities, etc.  I think if you buy a 5700XT, load it up and leave it the hell alone, i.e. plain Jane stock, you won't have any issues but this is just a theory of mine.  Also  eventually any  major issues that still remain with the drivers will be fixed at some point, we just don't know when that some point will be.

From a performance standpoint though, the 5700 XT is by far the best choice simply because nothing the 2070 Super offers can justify the $100 price difference Nvidia insists on charging.  At best you get a few percentage points better performance with the 2070 Super and quite a few games actually perform better on the 5700 XT.

So aside from the "potential" driver issues you may encounter, the 5700 XT is the best choice.  You just have to be prepared in case you are one of the unlucky few that do have drive issues.  

5700 XT performs better in titles like BF:V, CS:Go or MW, 2070S is better in Apex.

In single player games, 2070S tends to have small lead. However, I'd say price difference outweights the performance difference.

So yeah, 5700 XT would make more sense.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Both will push 1440p144Hz fine. 2070 Super has RTX, NVENC for recording/streaming, and CUDA acceleration (if you're ever not gaming, many apps will take advantage of this). 5700 XT has RIS which is better than DLSS, and is cheaper. I'd personally go for the 2070 S purely for the extra features, but if you only care about fps/$ then the 5700 XT is the better choice. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Both will push 1440p144Hz fine. 

This depends on the game.  I am in a situation where I want to do 1080p 144hz gaming and will have to buy a 2080 ti because on some very demanding, AAA games, like RDR2, Metro Exodus, your not getting 144hz 1080p out of a 2080 Ti High settings, let alone Ultra. 

This benchmark here for RDR@ a High Settings ( https://www.techspot.com/review/1939-red-dead-redemption-2-benchmarks/ ) shows RDR2 on High settings only getting 114 fps at 1080p while the 2070 Super and 5700 XT are 86 fps and 94 fps respectively.  Go up to 1440p and they are at 69 fps and 74 fps respectively.  So on the most demanding titles, neither the 2070 Super or 5700 XT will push 1440p at 144hz.

To be fair, with most current titles, the 2070 Super and 5700 XT will be able to push 1440p144Hz, but games are just going to keep getting more demanding.  Metro Exodus and RDR2 won't be the only titles coming out within the next 18 months that are going to be demanding and there might be quite a few new titles that may need much more than a 2070 Super or 5700 XT to reach 144 hz, even at lowly 1080p, much less 1440p.

I have both running side by side in my gaming rigs (wife and mine).

IME, there were growing pains with the RX 5700 XT, but it was an insane deal ($329 USD) compared to my 2070S ($440 USD). The cliffs: my 5700 XT would crash constantly, and later determined it was due to using monitoring/overlays during gameplay. Hasn't crashed once since I've completely stopped using monitoring software and overlays (e.g. Wattman, Afterburner, etc.).

Apples-to-apples, the 5700 XT has universal image sharpening while the 2070S only has it in games that support the GF Experience overlay. This means on the same games, at identical settings, and on identical displays, my RX 5700 XT consistently delivers an objectively sharper image than the 2070S machine. However, the 2070S delivers slightly more performance across the board. 

You cannot go wrong with either of them, but I tend to recommend the RX 5700 XT (or a flashed 5700 non-XT) because it's the better price:performance ratio while still able to deliver a similar 1440P and 4K experience relative to the 2070S.

4 hours ago, SPARTAN VI said:

I have both running side by side in my gaming rigs (wife and mine).

IME, there were growing pains with the RX 5700 XT, but it was an insane deal ($329 USD) compared to my 2070S ($440 USD). The cliffs: my 5700 XT would crash constantly, and later determined it was due to using monitoring/overlays during gameplay. Hasn't crashed once since I've completely stopped using monitoring software and overlays (e.g. Wattman, Afterburner, etc.).

Apples-to-apples, the 5700 XT has universal image sharpening while the 2070S only has it in games that support the GF Experience overlay. This means on the same games, at identical settings, and on identical displays, my RX 5700 XT consistently delivers an objectively sharper image than the 2070S machine. However, the 2070S delivers slightly more performance across the board. 

You cannot go wrong with either of them, but I tend to recommend the RX 5700 XT (or a flashed 5700 non-XT) because it's the better price:performance ratio while still able to deliver a similar 1440P and 4K experience relative to the 2070S.

I wish I could have found that 5700 XT deal you got.  That is actually inexpensive enough at $329, that I could justify replacing it in 12-18 months to keep up with my ultra settings fetish.  

17 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

5700xt. You save $100ish or more and you can put that toward more capacity ssd or ram.

In a gaming system, every dollar saved should be put toward more GPU power.  That's where you will get your best bang for buck in terms of FPS and overall experience. Not only have RAM and SSDs plummeted in price in the last year (yay for us!), but given that you have RAM that is reasonable (around 3000 mHz) and an SSD that is reasonable (honestly 1tb drives are getting cheap now), an extra hundo toward GPU will almost always give you a better experience than putting it toward either of the other two.

Whether that means jumping up to a 2070, 2080, what have you, I would do that.  More GPU always the way to go IMO.

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

1 hour ago, Zberg said:

Whether that means jumping up to a 2070, 2080, what have you, I would do that.  More GPU always the way to go IMO.

This is true for the short term, looking at that specific build.  Looking at overall budgets and how well that plays out over time, in this specific situation when you're looking at two nearly-even matched GPUs I'd argue that spending the extra $100 on the 2070 Super doesn't buy enough extra power over the RX 5700 XT to save you from buying a new GPU sooner (in future years) when it can't max games anymore.  Both will age about the same and the small percentage difference between the two will look even smaller in 3-4 years when fancy new GPUs come out at their price point and smoke them in performance.

So in summary, looking at the long view, it may be best to pocket the $100 in the short term, not spend it on other stuff either, and plan that for the future build when that money buys an even better GPU with higher FPS / $ , getting more quality years of gaming.  That way you're only shelling out cash when it makes a big difference to how well games look/run.

3 hours ago, Zberg said:

In a gaming system, every dollar saved should be put toward more GPU power.  That's where you will get your best bang for buck in terms of FPS and overall experience. Not only have RAM and SSDs plummeted in price in the last year (yay for us!), but given that you have RAM that is reasonable (around 3000 mHz) and an SSD that is reasonable (honestly 1tb drives are getting cheap now), an extra hundo toward GPU will almost always give you a better experience than putting it toward either of the other two.

RTX 2070 Super performance is not worth additional $100ish or more over RX 5700XT when RX 5700XT performance identical to RTX 2070 Super with $100ish or more cheaper. If I were OP, I would go with RX 5700XT.

2 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

This is true for the short term, looking at that specific build.  Looking at overall budgets and how well that plays out over time, in this specific situation when you're looking at two nearly-even matched GPUs I'd argue that spending the extra $100 on the 2070 Super doesn't buy enough extra power over the RX 5700 XT to save you from buying a new GPU sooner (in future years) when it can't max games anymore.  Both will age about the same and the small percentage difference between the two will look even smaller in 3-4 years when fancy new GPUs come out at their price point and smoke them in performance.

So in summary, looking at the long view, it may be best to pocket the $100 in the short term, not spend it on other stuff either, and plan that for the future build when that money buys an even better GPU with higher FPS / $ , getting more quality years of gaming.  That way you're only shelling out cash when it makes a big difference to how well games look/run.

56 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

RTX 2070 Super performance is not worth additional $100ish or more over RX 5700XT when RX 5700XT performance identical to RTX 2070 Super with $100ish or more cheaper. If I were OP, I would go with RX 5700XT.

All fair points.  You will certainly find people on all sides of this, as it is probably the most common question currently in terms of GPU recently(theres a 5700xt vs 2070s almost daily).

My point was it was said that you would rather forego the performance benefit (agreed it is small) and other features (Nvenc, CUDA, which IMO is not small) and not mentioned but better drivers, for more RAM or SSD capacity using that 100 extra dollars.  I would rather have that extra hundo in my GPU for the slight FPS gain, and significant driver and feature set rather than upgrading RAM or SSd capacity which is not likely to be as fruitful.  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar