PC Crashing

xampi

Hi guys,

Recently I had my pc crashing whenever I was gaming. To troubleshoot this I downloaded AIDA64 and went to stability test. I tested everything separately and my PC crashed when stressing FPU and CACHE. Which makes no sense since I havn't overclocked manualy my CPU. I had that intel boost thing that make my processor go to around 4,5 GHz. I disabled that and set a manual clock to 4GHz instead. All seemed to be fine when, today i got another crash. Any thoughts why this is happening to me?

I tried reinstalling Windows because I thought some drivers could be corrupted and still no luck.

My pc has been stable for 4 months with same hardware until now.

PC SPECS:

mobo: Z390 AORUS ELITE (v10a (latest))

cpu: INTEL Core I7-9700K 3.60GHZ

gpu: Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2080 EVO OC

psu: Corsair RMx White Series RM850x

ram: module1(x1='Kingston HperX 2133C14/8G'), module2(x1= Corsair Vengance 3000C16/8G'), module3(x1='Kingston HperX 2400C15/8G'), module4(x1='Kingston HperX 2400C15/8G').

Thanks you in advance for the help!

you should re-enable turbo boost. These are clocks within spec setting a manual clock speed above base clock is considered overclocking if you didn't tweak voltage to accommodate, or left it on auto weird shit can happen. So please set that back to default.

You have a weird mix of ram speeds, However, the 3000MHz and 2400Mhz kits are not running at those speeds as mixed RAM will always run at the lowest rated kit, in your case they're all at 2133MHz. (also usually above 2133* they don't run at those speeds if you don't enable XMP   *Maybe 2400 as well) There could be weird shit happening with the mix.

Are you blue screening, or is it just shutting off? If it is only happening when gaming it sounds more likely that it's your GPU causing the crash not your CPU.

Windows actually has a better built in tool for figuring out why your system is crashing with Event Viewer. Get your pc to crash and pay attention to the time, then go into event viewer and take a look at Windows Logs/System, or Application either could have clues to the cause. 

So I would recommend resetting your CPU settings to default. Take out the 2133 and 3000MHz ram sticks so your just have the 2400MHz, try gaming like that to get a crash. If you do crash go ahead and put them back in, If you have an older GPU or know someone that will let you borrow theirs for a day try that and try to get it to crash again to rule that out. Pay attention to fan noise, I had random crashing in games a year ago and it turned out to be my PSU overheating and shutting off. 

This should rule out most hardware related crashes so good luck! 

6 minutes ago, Labeled said:

you should re-enable turbo boost. These are clocks within spec setting a manual clock speed above base clock is considered overclocking if you didn't tweak voltage to accommodate, or left it on auto weird shit can happen. So please set that back to default.

You have a weird mix of ram speeds, However, the 3000MHz and 2400Mhz kits are not running at those speeds as mixed RAM will always run at the lowest rated kit, in your case they're all at 2133MHz. (also usually above 2133* they don't run at those speeds if you don't enable XMP   *Maybe 2400 as well) There could be weird shit happening with the mix.

Are you blue screening, or is it just shutting off? If it is only happening when gaming it sounds more likely that it's your GPU causing the crash not your CPU.

Windows actually has a better built in tool for figuring out why your system is crashing with Event Viewer. Get your pc to crash and pay attention to the time, then go into event viewer and take a look at Windows Logs/System, or Application either could have clues to the cause. 

So I would recommend resetting your CPU settings to default. Take out the 2133 and 3000MHz ram sticks so your just have the 2400MHz, try gaming like that to get a crash. If you do crash go ahead and put them back in, If you have an older GPU or know someone that will let you borrow theirs for a day try that and try to get it to crash again to rule that out. Pay attention to fan noise, I had random crashing in games a year ago and it turned out to be my PSU overheating and shutting off. 

Firstable, thanks for the help!

Now: I did some stress tests to the GPU and my PC is never crashing; I'll do what you told me with my RAM (I have XMP enabled so it should be fine)

And as said my pc crashed when stressing FPU and CPU Cache :v

Oh and i forgot to mention that my pc has been stable for about 4 months with exact same hardware

7 minutes ago, xampi said:

(I have XMP enabled so it should be fine)

With XMP it still runs at the lowest rated kit, so everything is still at 2133.

Stress tests or actual games? I've had better luck finding unstable overclocks with games over stress tests.( I know you aren't overclocking)

Is it BSOD, or shutting off? 

4 minutes ago, Labeled said:

With XMP it still runs at the lowest rated kit, so everything is still at 2133.

Stress tests or actual games? I've had better luck finding unstable overclocks with games over stress tests.( I know you aren't overclocking)

Is it BSOD, or shutting off? 

My pc freezes on both stress tests and games.

I don't know how it's called but my windows freezes and i have to force the reboot.

Just now, xampi said:

My pc freezes on both stress tests and games.

I don't know how it's called but my windows freezes and i have to force the reboot.

Have you tried waiting to see if it's just a system hang or if you eventually get a bsod?

7 minutes ago, Labeled said:

Have you tried waiting to see if it's just a system hang or if you eventually get a bsod?

What do you mean by system hang? (sorry my english is kinda bad :v) and what exactly means bsod?

8 minutes ago, Labeled said:

bsod is it blue screen right?

Then no, it's my system, It's like i cant move my mouse or interact with my pc

Yeah Bsod is blue screen.

System hang is when the system is unresponsive. Have you ever just left it and waited to see if it ever came back or if it actually blue screens?

1 minute ago, Labeled said:

Yeah Bsod is blue screen.

System hang is when the system is unresponsive. Have you ever just left it and waited to see if it ever came back or if it actually blue screens?

No, i havn't because when it first happen (before i lowered cpu clock) my usb from the mobo didn't work neither like my mouse, headset and keyboard lightning turned off

4 hours ago, Labeled said:

I did what you said and i took out both different sticks of ram and resetted defaults on bios. And the problem still persists. When i stress cpu cache my pc freezes forcing me to reboot.

5 hours ago, xampi said:

Hi guys,

Recently I had my pc crashing whenever I was gaming. To troubleshoot this I downloaded AIDA64 and went to stability test. I tested everything separately and my PC crashed when stressing FPU and CACHE. Which makes no sense since I havn't overclocked manualy my CPU. I had that intel boost thing that make my processor go to around 4,5 GHz. I disabled that and set a manual clock to 4GHz instead. All seemed to be fine when, today i got another crash. Any thoughts why this is happening to me?

I tried reinstalling Windows because I thought some drivers could be corrupted and still no luck.

My pc has been stable for 4 months with same hardware until now.

PC SPECS:

mobo: Z390 AORUS ELITE (v10a (latest))

cpu: INTEL Core I7-9700K 3.60GHZ

gpu: Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2080 EVO OC

psu: Corsair RMx White Series RM850x

ram: module1(x1='Kingston HperX 2133C14/8G'), module2(x1= Corsair Vengance 3000C16/8G'), module3(x1='Kingston HperX 2400C15/8G'), module4(x1='Kingston HperX 2400C15/8G').

Thanks you in advance for the help!

Take out all the RAM, disable XMP, and test each RAM stick one at a time by itself.

Report back.

There's a chance the CPU could be defective.

3 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Take out all the RAM, disable XMP, and test each RAM stick one at a time by itself.

Report back.

There's a chance the CPU could be defective.

I already did that and seems like one stick doesn't work if it's not placed at the first slot.

I bought my CPU 4 months ago (so it's kinda new) and it worked fine until now

Thanks for the help in advance!

1 hour ago, xampi said:

I already did that and seems like one stick doesn't work if it's not placed at the first slot.

I bought my CPU 4 months ago (so it's kinda new) and it worked fine until now

Thanks for the help in advance!

If you place any of the other sticks, by themselves, in the first slot, does your system work without crashing in AIDA64 Stress FPU/Cache, at stock CPU settings?

Tested one by one?

You still have to determine if the CPU went south or if the motherboard went south.

If you can pass full stability tests with 1 stick, without any more crashing, regardless of what stick is tested, that would seem to point to the motherboard being the problem.

4 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

If you place any of the other sticks, by themselves, in the first slot, does your system work without crashing in AIDA64 Stress FPU/Cache, at stock CPU settings?

Tested one by one?

You still have to determine if the CPU went south or if the motherboard went south.

If you can pass full stability tests with 1 stick, without any more crashing, regardless of what stick is tested, that would seem to point to the motherboard being the problem.

"You still have to determine if the CPU went south or if the motherboard went south." What do you mean by that?

And why you assume it has something to do with RAM? just asking, im kinda newbie

Your errors you got look like RAM Errors, however a bad IMC on the CPU can also cause this to happen.

Some 9900k's and even 8700k's have suddenly gone from rock stable to failing with "Memory type" BSOD's like System service exception and IRQL Not Less or Equal, out of nowhere, until the 9900k was downclocked MASSIVELY to 3.6 ghz.

These were proven to be bad CPU's as a replacement CPU fixed the problem.

So if you test each RAM stick in the RAM slot you said it works in, one at a time, you can determine at the same time if

1) a RAM stick is bad or not (by testing each stick separately).

2) if the CPU is stable fully passing AIDA64 with only 1 RAM stick installed.

Then you should be able to determine if the motherboard itself is bad.

(there is still a chance the CPU could have gone south).

57 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Your errors you got look like RAM Errors, however a bad IMC on the CPU can also cause this to happen.

Some 9900k's and even 8700k's have suddenly gone from rock stable to failing with "Memory type" BSOD's like System service exception and IRQL Not Less or Equal, out of nowhere, until the 9900k was downclocked MASSIVELY to 3.6 ghz.

These were proven to be bad CPU's as a replacement CPU fixed the problem.

So if you test each RAM stick in the RAM slot you said it works in, one at a time, you can determine at the same time if

1) a RAM stick is bad or not (by testing each stick separately).

2) if the CPU is stable fully passing AIDA64 with only 1 RAM stick installed.

Then you should be able to determine if the motherboard itself is bad.

(there is still a chance the CPU could have gone south).

Hey sorry for being that late and thanks again for your help!

Here are my RAM test results:

- Slot 1     = Works (Tested with every single RAM stick)

(From here tested with both identical Hyperx RAM sticks)

- Slot 1 + 2 = Works
 - Slot 1 + 3 = PC Freezes when stressing cpu cache
 - Slot 1 + 4 = PC Freezes when stressing cpu cache
 - Slot 1 + 2 + 3 = PC Rebooted itself
 - Slot 1 + 2 + 4 = PC Freezes when stressing cpu cache
 - Slot 1 + 3 + 4 = PC Freezes when stressing cpu cache
 - Slot 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 = PC Freezes when stressing cpu cache

- Slot 2     = Works
 - Slot 2 + 3 = Works
 - Slot 2 + 4 = Doesn't boot
 - Slot 2 + 3 + 4 = PC Freezes when stressing cpu cache

- Slot 3     = Works
 - Slot 3 + 4 = PC Freezes when stressing cpu cache

- Slot 4     = Works

Successful tests lasted 1 min

Not successful tests lasted less than 5 secs.

Test where pc rebooted lasted less than 2 secs.

If you still think it looks like RAM error, let me know and I'll ask my brother to borrow me his RAM sticks.

Ouch.  This looks like a bad motherboard.

slot 2+3 working but slot 1+4 not working definitely points to motherboard (Note: the RAM will be running in single channel mode in slot 2+3 and slot 1+4).

My bet is on a bad motherboard here.  Otherwise slot 2+3 would have failed.

Anyone else have any ideas let me know.

2 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

Ouch.  This looks like a bad motherboard.

slot 2+3 working but slot 1+4 not working definitely points to motherboard (Note: the RAM will be running in single channel mode in slot 2+3 and slot 1+4).

My bet is on a bad motherboard here.  Otherwise slot 2+3 would have failed.

Anyone else have any ideas let me know.

Thanks for helping.

But do you have any idea why this happened? I mean my system has been working fine for about 4 months... (It's brand new)

No I don't.

I mean it *IS* possible the CPU's IMC can be damaged too.

I honestly don't know what to do.  It's a very uncomfortable situation.

I say, RMA whatever is easier for you.  CPU or mainboard.

3 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

No I don't.

I mean it *IS* possible the CPU's IMC can be damaged too.

I honestly don't know what to do.  It's a very uncomfortable situation.

I say, RMA whatever is easier for you.  CPU or mainboard.

I'll do mobo then CPU. I have waranty of both. Thanks for being that helpful dude!

But if i take my cpu into another system and works fine would mean it's actually the mobo right?

2 minutes ago, xampi said:

I'll do mobo then CPU. I have waranty of both. Thanks for being that helpful dude!

But if i take my cpu into another system and works fine would mean it's actually the mobo right?

Yes, 100%.