Verizon Using Recent Net Neutrality Victory to Wage War Against Netflix

Neskia

http://davesblog.com/blog/2014/02/05/verizon-using-recent-net-neutrality-victory-to-wage-war-against-netflix/

David Raphael displayed a conversation he had with a Verizon support rep showing that indeed, Verizon was throttling his Netflix streaming quality. 

CPU \\ i7-3770K@4.6GHz Motherboard \\ MSI MPower Z77 RAM \\ 16GB 1886 Patriot Viper 3 GPU \\ EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB CASE \\ Corsair 600T SE White Storage \\ Western Digital Black 2TB PSU \\ Seasonic SS-760XP2 Cooling \\ H100i + 3 Swiftech Helix 120s 

They've been doing this long BEFORE the whole net neutrality thing went down. I love Verizon's Internet, but even I've been a victim of them throttling my speeds on YouTube and Netflix. An easy way around this is to just use a VPN, but most people don't know that, nor do they know that Verizon is throttling them. 

COMIC SANS

They've been doing this long BEFORE the whole net neutrality thing went down. I love Verizon's Internet, but even I've been a victim of them throttling my speeds on YouTube and Netflix. An easy way around this is to just use a VPN, but most people don't know that, nor do they know that Verizon is throttling them. 

I wouldn't deny it either. Just this guy was able to convince a rep to admit to that fact.

CPU \\ i7-3770K@4.6GHz Motherboard \\ MSI MPower Z77 RAM \\ 16GB 1886 Patriot Viper 3 GPU \\ EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB CASE \\ Corsair 600T SE White Storage \\ Western Digital Black 2TB PSU \\ Seasonic SS-760XP2 Cooling \\ H100i + 3 Swiftech Helix 120s 

so if I use Hotspot shield I counter the throttling?

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

so if I use Hotspot shield I counter the throttling?

Mhm, at least, it's worked for me so far.

COMIC SANS

dude i get 60 down and up. and i have yet to expirience NETFLIX and somewhat youtube in higher than 480p

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

And so it begins, the beginning of the end.... 

So what country had protection of net neutrality laws in place, might start house hunting there soon

Oh maybe I'll just piss off to Bhutan and say good night to the internet all together.... ..... but ESO  :unsure:

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

This has got to be beyond frustrating for anyone who is a Verizon customer. Especially considering the main reason anyone gets higher bandwidth, e.g. 70 Mbps, is so they can watch, stream, and download things that are bandwidth heavy such as HD content on Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, etc. Additionally, their reasoning along with other ISPs is complete and utter bull shit. They all claim that those services are too bandwidth heavy and they need to throttle it because they don't have enough bandwidth to go around when in fact they have plenty! Fiber networks have incredible bandwidth capacity and to say that they need to throttle certain services to conserve bandwidth is ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that internet services have a 200% profit margin. It's an absolute joke. So glad I have yet to experience this problem, but I'm certain I will eventually.