Trying to install Windows 10 S mode

Hey all. I'm trying to get Christmas presents sorted and one thing i was going to give away was older laptop preferably running Windows 10 S mode. I know it's a trash version but it's for a kid.

It's an older Lenovo with a clean install of windows 10 Home on an SSD. Only 3rd party program is the AMD graphics driver. I keep seeing other laptops advertised as Windows 10 Home in S mode but i can't figure out how to enable this from a regular install. Microsoft published an executable but it only works on Windows 10 Pro on version 1803. Would everything still work if i just left it inactivated? Something I'd hate to do but you can't argue with a free laptop.

Obviously i have plenty of time before Christmas to get this sorted, But I'd hate to buy a $100 Pro license for a 2011 budget Lenovo just to throw it in S mode. (already activated with the old key)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/education/windows/test-windows10s-for-edu#download-windows-10-in-s-mode

Having a hard time understanding why Microsoft is so reluctant to just publish an ISO at a discounted price and give people the option to upgrade to Windows 10 Home. Just doesn't make sense to me.

12 hours ago, FlpDaMattress said:

Having a hard time understanding why Microsoft is so reluctant to just publish an ISO at a discounted price and give people the option to upgrade to Windows 10 Home. Just doesn't make sense to me.

That's what the Media Creation tool is for (either make an install USB media, or make an ISO file) ;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Windows 10 S isn't a different SKU anymore, instead it can be activated ;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-10-s-enable-s-mode

Those instructions are to apply the Windows S mode to an ISO file to do an installation, not sure how to convert an existing Windows 10 to S mode.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Those instructions are to apply the Windows S mode to an ISO file to do an installation, not sure how to convert an existing Windows 10 to S mode.

If I remember correctly (@GoodBytes may recall better than I) but you cannot revert Win10 to Win10S, its a one way street. You can though do a recovery and basically re-install your Win10S, this is only if the machine had Win10S to begin with.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

If I remember correctly (@GoodBytes may recall better than I) but you cannot revert Win10 to Win10S, its a one way street. You can though do a recovery and basically re-install your Win10S, this is only if the machine had Win10S to begin with.

Correct. Beside re-install. The way to "get back", is to go to Settings > Apps > App & Features, and set "Choose where to get apps" to "The Microsoft Store only". This is the closest you can do. It won't remove or block already installed programs that were not from the Store.

8 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Yeah, seems like it (I can only find solution on how to INSTALL Win 10 S, not how to convert a Windows 10 install to Win 10 S).

But I'm guessing the OP might want to do a clean install anyway if it's to give to a kid.

Another simpler solution would be to add a ei.cfg to the ISO so that the OP has all versions available when installing ;

make a txt file, rename it ei.cfg

open the file and put the following in it ;

[Channel]
Retail

Open the ISO and put the ei.cfg file in folder named "sources". When installing Windows, you should have all the versions available, including the one with S mode.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I just ended up just reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and running the executable i mentioned earlier to convert it to windows 10 S. My only issue now is it's an inactivated copy and being Windows 10 S, that means a lot. I can either upgrade from the activated version of Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro For $100 or activate Windows 10 S that i have right now for $200. I'd hate to give away a system more locked down than it already is but as long as the Windows Store is working, i guess it's fine?

4 minutes ago, FlpDaMattress said:

I just ended up just reinstalling Windows 10 Pro and running the executable i mentioned earlier to convert it to windows 10 S. My only issue now is it's an inactivated copy and being Windows 10 S, that means a lot. I can either upgrade from the activated version of Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro For $100 or activate Windows 10 S that i have right now for $200. I'd hate to give away a system more locked down than it already is but as long as the Windows Store is working, i guess it's fine?

I don't get why you break your head. Just have Windows 10 with the license you have, install a web browser, and lock it down with the option mentioned. Either way the person will complain that they have to use Edge, and Edge is broken on some websites, as no web dev cares, as 1. User base is minimal, and 2. Microsoft announced that they already pulled the plug on Edge support, to focus on the New Edge (aka: Chromium based Edge).

Windows 10 S is very easy to unlock in any case, if that is what you are concerned about.

Yes, the Microsoft Store is a lot better these days. You have a lot of programs available already. However, still missing, in my opinion, a large amount. Maybe in a few years. It would also help if Microsoft removes the restriction on web browsers, so that any web browser can publish theirs on the store.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't get why you break your head. Just have Windows 10 with the license you have, install a web browser, and lock it down with the option mentioned. Either way the person will complain that they have to use Edge, and Edge is broken on some websites, as no web dev cares, as 1. User base is minimal, and 2. Microsoft announced that they already pulled the plug on Edge support, to focus on the New Edge (aka: Chrmium based Edge).

Because I'm really good at over-complicating everything. I don't know why but i started trying to install Windows 10 S more for my curiosity. I give up. Windows 10 Home it is. I'm tired of loosing sleep over this.