home supplies to clean growth?

ok so I've been running my custom loop with just pure distilled water for just over a year now I've had no problems with growth or or buildup till now, one of my tubes is turning brown and my filter has some what looks like growth of some kind on it

but i was thinking can i use home supplies like CLR , vinegar, Alcohol or bleach to add to my loop to clean my loop of growth? will any/all of thous hurt/eat away my blocks or tubes? 

if anyone has products suggestions i'm also open to that, i just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with home supplies

8 minutes ago, officedemon said:

ok so I've been running my custom loop with just pure distilled water for just over a year now I've had no problems with growth or or buildup till now, one of my tubes is turning brown and my filter has some what looks like growth of some kind on it

but i was thinking can i use home supplies like CLR , vinegar, Alcohol or bleach to add to my loop to clean my loop of growth? will any/all of thous hurt/eat away my blocks or tubes? 

if anyone has products suggestions i'm also open to that, i just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with home supplies

Problem is that when the filth does peel away it will get stuck in all the small fins and such of the cooling block for the cpu and gpu (I don't know what you have cooled so just generalizing). The only real way is to remove all the items, open them up and  actually scrub them clean with something as simple as dishsoap. Brown tubing is basically lost but you can try scrubbing it clean with a small stickbrush for cleaning dishes and again some dishsoap.

4 hours ago, officedemon said:

so no one has tried soup or bleach on these LTT forums?

dose anyone have products suggestions? 

I have tried diluted vinegar and soapy water and hot water.
Unfortunately vinegar dissolves copper (to an extent), and it can damage the rubber parts in a loop. I don't recommend that, especially since a few weeks after the treatment, stuff started to grow again.
soapy water  didn't do much when it came to growth. It helped a bit with bubbles, but that's it.
Hot water didn't have a noticeable effect either.

I think it's practically impossible to completely clean every part of a loop (especially the radiator). Even if you could clean it 100%, if you were to then use the same type of coolant, it would start all over again.
Unfortunately my final solution is not a permanent one by any stretch of the imagination. I use a premixed liquid (by nanoxia) and filter it with household supplies. It dramatically slows down the growth. Now when I notice that the reservoir isn't perfectly clear, I catch the fluid in a bowl and use a 250ml syringe with some cotton to filter the water (i think you could buy a syringe at a supermarket, or most likely in a pharmacy. I use face cleaning cotton disks as filters. I guess a coffee filter paper could be just as good). A surprising amount of stuff gets caught in the cotton, and I reuse the cleaned premixed water.

My R2700XT build:  r7 2700 @4.1 Ghz max 65C - Sapphire Pulse rx 5700xt @1625Mhz 955mV 1300rpm fans, max 82C - Asrock B450 gaming k4 - Gskill Ripjaws 2x8GB @3200mhz CL16 - Be Quiet Straight Power E11 650w - Fractal Meshify C - EK-Kit S240 - NB eLoop 120mm PWM - Be Quiet Shadow Wings 140mm 1000rpm - Bitfenix Spectre LED PWM 120mm - Samsung 250GB 860 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Peripherals:  Acer XF270HBbmiiprzx 144hz 1080p TN - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Coolermaster MK750 - CM Storm Reaper - Logitech G303 - Logitech G502 - Logitech G603

Audio:  Hyperx Cloud Stinger - Samson SR850 - Trust Screamer - Creative Gigaworks T20 II

I havent really had growth issues, but white vinegar or dawn use good for just getting it nice and clean. After that flush it with plenty of distilled water and when refilling make sure to either use something with a biocide or use your own.

On 12/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, officedemon said:

Take a photo of the components that have been affected, usually hot soapy water is enough to remove most biological build up and to disinfect it. If you have hard build up from corrosion on metal surfaces that are copper you can use a vingear and saturated salt solution to clean it but do not leave it for too long. After you will want to rinse and clean it off. For nickel plated components a non-abrasive metal polish is best to use as acidic solutions can potentially affect the plating.