Should i upgrade my router?

theparadoxdoge

I have a stock Xfinity router atm, Thinking on pulling the trigger on the netgear nighthawk XR450 for cyber Monday.
If you think i should please list reasons.
1gb Down,45mbps up

Is there a problem with the xfinity? If not you could buy the nighthawk as a spare or set it up as an AP.

2 minutes ago, cole0622 said:

Is there a problem with the xfinity? If not you could buy the nighthawk as a spare or set it up as an AP.

Yea, Every so often the router spazes tf out and shows that the lan cable is disconnecting and reconnecting over and over 

3 minutes ago, Saksham said:

yes. never use stock router/modem combo if you dont have to. 

Why though? like whats the dif?

usually if there separate then its much easier to make configurations and upgrades on the router side and straight modems almost never go out you should do it if you can also performance can be increased overall.

19 minutes ago, theparadoxdoge said:

Why though? like whats the dif?

Firstly what Xfinity gave you is a gateway, modem and router in one box. They tend to be terrible. They over heat and start having issues. Xfinity also has a back door in to your network, because they can remote in to that gateway and make changes to settings. They do this for users who dont know what the fuck they are doing. 

I have Xinfity 200/10 servcie. I OWN my own modem and seperate router. For a modem I have an SB6141 and for a Router I use a Synology RT2600AC. For the record your paying between $11 and $15 a month for that Xfinity gateway. You buy your own, guess what? No more monthly charge. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.