Any meaning behind hating lyrics/vocals in music?

Otto_iii

Title states it fairly well, basically my entire life i have always disregarded most songs with lyrics/vocals, i want a story but i dislike anybody trying to put their own abstract words to it (usually it changes meaning, sometimes significantly.)  I don't do psychology but is there any meaning behind this? i've been this way since i was a toddler, doesn't mean i can't like many classics, many songs with lyrics and vocals, for instance i somewhat exclude rap because the inflection of the words are intended as part of it, but i feel like listening to most songs with lyrics is garbage when a actually good piece of music tells you far more things without saying a word. 

Hoping due to level of introverts on this forum maybe somebody who studied psych or similar has come across some meaning or practical thing this might tell me about myself on a academic level but if not, no biggie.  

you saying you like music with no words spoken at all, which then leaves you with genres like Trance where its all protools electronic stuff, or classical stuff.

personal preferences

For what it's worth, I can't listen solely to instrumentals as background music because I focus intensely on trying to tear apart (at least with rap instrumentals) the samples used, what beat machine could've been used and the general sound of it all.

I dunno. Some people like their lyrics to tell them a story and others prefer the instrumental to tell them the story. It's all in the ear of the listener.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I hope not.  It would mean bad things for me personally.  I listen to the local classical station not because I like classical but because there is no one talking.

i thought it was an add thing for me, but it might be an aspie thing.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

51 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

you saying you like music with no words spoken at all, which then leaves you with genres like Trance where its all protools electronic stuff, or classical stuff.

personal preferences

no i like pop music that works, but i disagree with the fact pop-music has to have vocals, and thats my main grief.  I prefer filmscore. i think many people subconsciously do but if you delve into stuff without vocals for any given genre you have to dig and dig, as a layman, to find interesting thing.  It shouldn't be that way there are lots of great artists. 

48 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Some people like their lyrics to tell them a story and others prefer the instrumental to tell them the story. It's all in the ear of the listener.

I like the vocals telling a story if the notes match and add to the entirity of the song (maybe generic example but a lot of old soul/motown did this well, otis redding etc), and i don't hate the inclusion of spoken word, its more that its usually a crutch, or in worst case the song itself is actually bad and people just like it because the lyrics are entertaining via commentary, 'meme' of what is said. but these days memes exist so why are you looking for commentary via song, at the expensive of songs themselves.

as for me i prefer motivating and upbeat lyrics but sad and calming ones are okay too. Songs with meaningful which to be honest are hard to find these days especially mainstream ones where everything is about drugs, sex, breakups..... 

one of my favourite songs is a J-Rock in which its about depression

in the argument of instrumental and vocals, i would say why not both? there are times i prefer to hear just instruments, sometimes just vocals and sometimes both. With proper tone they can fit my mood pretty nicely

4 minutes ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

as for me i prefer motivating and upbeat lyrics but sad and calming ones are okay too. Songs with meaningful which to be honest are hard to find these days especially mainstream ones where everything is about drugs, sex, breakups..... 

one of my favourite songs is a J-Rock in which its about depression

in the argument of instrumental and vocals, i would say why not both? there are times i prefer to hear just instruments, sometimes just vocals and sometimes both. With proper tone they can fit my mood pretty nicely

Weird old band you might like.  “The last poets” 60’s era proto rap.  Vocals and drum.  No base even.  Very black power but the lyrics are amazingly tight.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30 minutes ago, RyomaSJibenG said:

i had to write thread to make point against vocals, but i overall agree with this, its just that there isn't really any mainstream music people acknowledge without vocals outside of movies etc, and when they do its rare they know the song title let alone the artists, which i find sad

Like, wtf is a hanz zimmer 

I like instrumental as well and not a specific genre. Try listening to Animals as Leaders, or if electronic, Amon Tobin

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Amon Tobin was big part source of what i believed as a 20 year old ? , thing is he's like one of hundres that nobody cares about and that scares me when its the backbone of where all music goes, and not knowing such music lessens the perspective people could have. 

Synthwave become a thing is a good example, fun meme genre that became semi popular due to the likes of DrDisrespect, but anybody watching the french synth scene could of seen it coming way back in Justice and Kavinksy days, but despite all the movies and car commercials both artists got featured in layman wouldn't know either artists names. 

When I was younger I used to just ignore the vocals all together,  couldn't tell you a single line from any song when I was kid no matter how much I listened to it.  I just prefered music.  Now I appreciate good vocals and good messages in music.  It's just a taste thing.  It might change or might not.  It doesn't matter though because 

I'd say at best it's just a preference thing. and at worst it's a either a social or informational based distaste that might be rooted in some other condition that doesn't really matter either.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@Otto_iii

Maybe you just need to listen to this...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

There are a couple reasons I could think of, as someone not at all well-versed in the psychology field.

One reason I thought of is kind of simple; you just don't want to hear voices so you don't get distracted. You're working on homework and hearing words in songs may make you lose your train of thought when writing/typing.

A similar reason is when you're listening to music with people around. You don't want to think "Wait, did one person say this.. Or did the song..?"

Another reason I thought of was kind of the opposite of why people listen to podcasts. People listen to podcasts if they want some 'social sounds' going on. But sometimes you just have had enough of social interactions and are jus fatigued of it.

Non-vocal music could help drown out that, since you're not thinking of social stuff anymore.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/