What’s this about no dual antimalware software?

So I’m a home user, not business, and can therefore use free versions of commercial antimalware programs without licensing issues.

The old conventional wisdom was to run defender and one(1) free commercial package that acted in a different way than defender to hopefully catch stuff that got through defender.

its annoying because the packages are always limited, and there are pop ups, and attempts to trick the user into downloading the paid version, which will then do horrible things when it’s time limit runs out.  None the less, for a home user it was considered best practice.

Is this still the case?  What has changed?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just run defender. Delete the other AV. Runs from same database anyway

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Just run defender. Delete the other AV. Runs from same database anyway

So you’re saying there is no hope then.  I was under the impression that other antimalware software took different approaches to finding or preventing malware, and that if a piece of malware couldn’t beat defender it wouldn’t be written because defender is everywhere.  You’re saying that there is no effective way to increase the the capability of a home computer other than just running defender which any antimalware will have to be able to beat to begin with.  They’re all totally useless?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

It's not to run 2 antivirus software's, they could slow down the system and cause conflicts. Most users today still run 2 types of protection, an antivirus and anti malware softwares together to protect  their system from whatever infections they might encounter as they go on the internet. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's not to run 2 antivirus software's, they could slow down the system and cause conflicts. Most users today still run 2 types of protection, an antivirus and anti malware softwares together to protect  their system from whatever infections they might encounter as they go on the internet. 

But antivirus is just a specific kind of antimalware. I’m a bit confused.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So you’re saying there is no hope then.  I was under the impression that other antimalware software took different approaches to finding or preventing malware, and that if a piece of malware couldn’t beat defender it wouldn’t be written because defender is everywhere.  You’re saying that there is no effective way to increase the the capability of a home computer other than just running defender which any antimalware will have to be able to beat to begin with.  They’re all totally useless?

Stop using computers if you have so many viruses.

5 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

Stop using computers if you have so many viruses.

Not useful.

I’ve never gotten one that I’ve noticed.  The thing is they’re designed to avoid notice.  I can’t trust my ability to notice that I have one.  I have to rely on software.  Professionals apparently often don’t find them for years in their systems.

its starting to look like I might have to stop using windows though if it can’t be secured.  Argh.  I like playing video games.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Not useful.

I’ve never gotten one that I’ve noticed.  The thing is they’re designed to avoid notice.  Professionals apparently often don’t find them for years in their systems.

Because "professionals" don't use their systems. They hire other people who don't care about your clickbait hand.  My son caught a malware looking for minecraft forge last year.  I don't believe forge is even worth the time in believing it's real at this point.  Shit program. Do you install weather bug or banzi buddy? I'm sure you'll love them.  Try them out. Lmfao.

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

its starting to look like I might have to stop using windows though if it can’t be secured.  Argh.  I like playing video games.

Sneaky sneaky edit you got there..........

Yeah stop using windows if it's so scary.  it's easy cheesy.  Stop clicking on more ram torrents.

7 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

Sneaky sneaky edit you got there..........

Yeah stop using windows if it's so scary.  it's easy cheesy.  Stop clicking on more ram torrents.

You keep accusing me of things I don’t do.  It’s “stop hitting yourself” but on the internet.

clearly you are less concerned about computer security than I am.

Also clearly you don’t like me asking this question and are trying to make up stuff to attempt to denigrate me for doing so.

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

But antivirus is just a specific kind of antimalware. I’m a bit confused.

It's uses different detection methods.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Stop buying keys from junk sites. Don't download torrents. I would also suggest you stop hitting yourself.

Just now, Animal901 said:

Stop buying keys from junk sites. Don't download torrents. I would also suggest you stop hitting yourself.

So yes.

So yes.

You asked for it, and you received. Just like you ask for viruses with that clicky hand. Nobody wants your bootleg movies. Home antivirus is not what it was at the turn of the millennium.

1 minute ago, Animal901 said:

You asked for it, and you received. Just like you ask for viruses with that clicky hand. Nobody wants your bootleg movies. Home antivirus is not what it was at the turn of the millennium.

Do I get to make things up about you too?

ok.  I think that avatar of you is real and you actually are a purple headless cat.  I even have better evidence.

Do I get to make things up about you too?

ok.  I think that avatar of you is real and you actually are a purple headless cat.  I even have better evidence.

Have fun bombasticlicker. Youre gonna need it.

Just now, Animal901 said:

Have fun bombasticlicker. Youre gonna need it.

Not listening.  Headless cats can’t type.  They just lie there in the road smelling bad.

Not listening.  Headless cats can’t type.  They just lie there in the road smelling bad.

I gather you exist for post generation. Must be all you can do in Minnesota with a ball club that awful.  So here's your chance for another one. Good day sir!!!!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

25 minutes ago, Animal901 said:

I gather you exist for post generation. Must be all you can do in Minnesota with a ball club that awful.  So here's your chance for another one. Good day sir!!!!!!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It sad how many house pets we lose to roadside accidents