GTX 1060 and 1440p monitor

Jebble

Hi there.

I'm looking to upgrade my 24" 1080p screen to a 27" monitor.
Now I wouldn't go 27 1080p so I'd at least need to upgrade to 1440p and if I do that I want to go 144Hz with freesync just to be prepared for whenever I upgrade my new PC.

My current rig is
- GTX 1060 6GB (1.62GHz with Turboclock to 1.847GHz)
- Intel i5 4670k @ 4.6Ghz

I'm just looking for insights and people's different  opinions to break out my endless cycle of looking for a new monitor and ending up concluding I need a whole new PC.
I currently run Borderlands 3 on ~60FPS on High settings.
I don't mind if the average FPS drops to 45-50 on 1440p, I think combined with a higher resolution and freesync that will be a nier experience than 60FPS locked on 1080p
I also don't mind if I have to tone down quality a bit to maintain a steady FPS and since I also play a lot of LoL the 144Hz will be used for that but not for other games.

My issue is that I'm afraid my current GPU might not suffice and if I have to upgrade my GPU I think my CPU might bottleneck let's say a 5700X.
So here I am asking for input and advice what to do.

your cpu probably wouldn't be a big bottleneck if you upgraded but it would be a little one.

i'd suggest that if you buy the 1440p monitor you just turn down settings from high to medium.

The FPS in league really only makes a difference if you're at a high enough skill level to preemptively dodge skillshots as their animation has started (before the projectile is visible but the champion is performing a specific animation that shows what ability is being used).

well ofc it will look smoother but you get the drift.

But i would suggest getting a 1080p monitor instead.

You've only mentioned league and borderlands, thoose games aren't known for their stunning visuals (the graphics are good but they aren't a selling point) which is why i think it would be better to keep the 1080p monitor and just upgrade the refreshrate.

if your desk has space then once you've saved even more money you can have your current monitor (i'm guessing 1080p 60Hz) as a discord monitor.

The 1080p 144Hz as a youtube/twitch monitor and the 1440p 144 as a gaming one.

i'm doing this myself once i get a bigger desk since i have the monitors but the 1080p one can't fit if i put up my new one.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

You just described my worst nightmare... 

8 minutes ago, Jebble said:

I don't mind if the average FPS drops to 45-50 on 1440p,

If you're really sure about that you will be fine however... 

Me, I even feel 1FPS drop and it's annoying af, especially because the games I'm playing often require fast, precise, rather complex inputs, 1FPS (or worse)  can mean death.  Death by framedrop,  the worst. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Thanks for your reply :)
I forgot to mention that a big reason I want to go 27 inch is because of work. I just can't do my programmin gproperly on a 24 inch screen anymore. Everything is too cluttered and I lose focus compared to the 27 inch screens at the office.

Going to 1080p 144Hz is just not worth the money for me because I've never had anything above 60Hz yet I am fine for now. But if I want to go bigger I won't go 1440p 60Hz as I will regret that soon enough as well.

I do play mroe besides Borderlands and LoL, those are just what I'm currently playing.

Its quite a difficult position actually since I want to go bigger for work, not perse gaming. But my gaming experience will definitely be affected by this decision.

Lastly upgradingmy CPU would mean a new Mobo as well which is basically a new PC in the end

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

You just described my worst nightmare... 

If you're really sure about that you will be fine however... 

Me, I even feel 1FPS drop and it's annoying af, especially because the games I'm playing often require fast, precise, rather complex inputs, 1FPS (or worse)  can mean death.  Death by framedrop,  the worst. 

I think this is because I also play on the PS4 a lot. Ofcourse I notice it but it's not a huge deal for me, mainly because I know I have to make concessions. 
If I know my 1060 will get 45 FPS steady on 1440p for another year or 1.5 I can hold out and wiat for a new gen GPU's to come out to upgrade. I feel the 5700/2060 are a bit of edge cases for me right now budget/performance wise.

A 5700XT wouldn't grand me 120+ FPS either with the current gen games

On elast thing I forgot for consideration is that a friend is willing to swap his 1070 for my 1060 if I fix his PC.

Basically that's a free tiny upgrade that might just be the little extra power I'd need for now.
Any insight on how that 1070 would go with 1440p?

15 minutes ago, Jebble said:

I think this is because I also play on the PS4 a lot. Ofcourse I notice it but it's not a huge deal for me, mainly because I know I have to make concessions. 
If I know my 1060 will get 45 FPS steady on 1440p for another year or 1.5 I can hold out and wiat for a new gen GPU's to come out to upgrade. I feel the 5700/2060 are a bit of edge cases for me right now budget/performance wise.

A 5700XT wouldn't grand me 120+ FPS either with the current gen games

Actually I know totally what you mean but I stopped playing on PS4 for exactly that reason,  it's a complete joke imo - and yes the games I'm playing do have a huge influence on that. ~25FPS for a fast paced action game just doesn't cut it for me when I can play the same game at (99%) stable 60FPS with actually high resolution textures on PC. 

Btw I have a similar issue though, R3600+gtx 1060, I think the 3600 is fine,  but, as great the 1060 is its starting to show its age... 

Going to upgrade to a 2060S soon  , I checked,  I'll be actually able to play my favorite games at 1440p/60 (even though I'll use downsampling because I don't have a  1440p/144hz monitor and don't really plan on getting one,  for me it's all about high quality textures and framerates / input lag,  1080p is fine to me :)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Jebble said:

On elast thing I forgot for consideration is that a friend is willing to swap his 1070 for my 1060 if I fix his PC.

Basically that's a free tiny upgrade that might just be the little extra power I'd need for now.
Any insight on how that 1070 would go with 1440p?

1070 is way better, around 33% actually. You might just be able to do 1440p at "acceptable" framerates. 

I'm not sure how your CPU will hold up, but I think the importance is often over valued,  yes it does make a difference,  but usually not that huge...  You have to see,  if it's holding you back it's time for another upgrade!  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

1070 is way better, around 33% actually. You might just be able to do 1440p at "acceptable" framerates. 

I'm not sure how your CPU will hold up, but I think the importance is often over valued,  yes it does make a difference,  but usually not that huge...  You have to see,  if it's holding you back it's time for another upgrade!  

Thanks! Upgrading everything is simply a no-go right now :P
Maybe I'll grab another 1080p so I have a bigger overall screen estate on my desk for now and check for 1440p again once Ampére is benchmarked and released

using a 1440p monitor with my 1060 I recently downgraded to. But I only play old games as the cpu cant handle much, but works ok.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz