Wireless Router suggestion?

Aaralli

I live in a house of about 2500 square feet. It's two floors. We own a Netgear router that I thought would be good enough for the whple house, but the upstairs end rooms have no signal. I think our walls are either really thick, or are made of something that resists the signals. Would buying a router that's designed for a larger space help this situation? If so, can anyone recommend a good router? We currently pay for 200mb/s bandwidth, and have 4 in our household. Sometimes 5.

have a look at a router that mounts on the ceiling. This should allow you to get in the center of the house

29 minutes ago, Hugh54321 said:

have a look at a router that mounts on the ceiling. This should allow you to get in the center of the house

My family hates that idea. The women think it'll look AWFUL. Theres no convincing them. Anything else?

29 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

My family hates that idea. The women think it'll look AWFUL. Theres no convincing them. Anything else?

paint it pink

¹

2 hours ago, Hugh54321 said:

paint it pink

Nope. Any actual router suggestions that aren't ceiling mounted?

Show them a high powered router vs well placed router. Remember the story of goldilocks and the three bears. One bowl too hot, one too cold, one just right. Give them options like this:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.gRau9ijeIAqKsX7msslEaAHaEQ%26pid%3DApi&f=1

300Mbps Wifi Router Wireless Repeater Wall Mount Ceiling ...

9 hours ago, Aaralli said:

¹

Nope. Any actual router suggestions that aren't ceiling mounted?

You might need to consider a mesh setup. There are limits to what 1 router can do, reguardless if its for more square feet or not. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Try using wireless N only if I'm not mistaken its max throughput is 300mbps and in clear line of site can go around 200yds. Also wire anything you can, the last time I looked you could get a 1000' box of cat 6 cable for around $50-70 on ebay. If the one router is not enough then get one or more wireless routers and configure them as aps and put them in a closet(s) throughout the house. Also ensure that your main router has gbe and if you need to buy a small 5-10 port gbe switch then do so.

On 11/29/2019 at 3:15 AM, Aaralli said:

Maybe worth explaining to them that needing more than one device for a mesh setup is going to look WAY more ugly than something that just looks like a smoke alarm on the ceiling.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7