Internet acting up

FishyModding

Hey everyone, our internet keeps lagging and cuts out randomly, my parents blamed me, but I didn't tinker with anything that would have caused that, i checked the logs, I blocked 2 weird IPs that weren't recognized by me, and its still going on, the IPs are for sure nothing in our house either. We use a NetGear R7000 with Spectrum Internet

Change your Password for your wifi is a good start.

Maybe you need glasswire!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

lol, I cannot afford vpns and my parents wouldnt lemme change the password

Sounds simple, but have you tried to reset the router using the button on the back?  You could also login to the admin portal and see if anythings been changed in there.

yes, I have, and I had to block 2 IPs that looked suspicious, and I know the IPs arent any of ours

Just now, Ecchi said:

Sounds simple, but have you tried to reset the router using the button on the back?  You could also login to the admin portal and see if anythings been changed in there.

2 minutes ago, FishyModding said:

lol, I cannot afford vpns and my parents wouldnt lemme change the password

So who is your home network admin, you or them? 

If them then that’s who they should complain to, if you then you u need to lay down tells rules on passwords etc. 

Why is a password so precious? Why are you not changing it every 6 months or god forbid yearly?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Technically me. I keep an eye out for the internet here. My parents wouldn't lemme change the password, but i will try to tell them we need a new password. We have never changed it. 

While I'm not saying that *this* is the problem, the two IPs you blocks may have been valid, legit programs; Windows and various other programs do phone home for a multitude of reasons.

You should start by unplugging your network equipment for about 5 minutes (a little lengthy, sure). If the problem persists, run a virus scan on your computer & network (and I don't mean using Windows Defender to do that).

If that doesn't pick up or resolve the problem, then definitely get into the network's control panel and change the password. As soon as you do that, grab your parent's devices and change the password for them; I'm sure you could think of a good reason to grab it for a moment (like "I need to check something")...

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

5 hours ago, FishyModding said:

Spectrum Internet

Could be on their end. Could be a signal issue. It could be a modem issue, it could be a lot of issues. Hard to say without looking at your modems signal levels. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.