CPU:  Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($1089.24) 

Budget: I want to keep it under 4,500 USD

Purpose: Huge programming, 1080p Video editing, Web browsing, Office use, Work use, Entertainment use, 3D editing, Overclocking, School use, Minecraft (with game modification to allow shaders for realistic view) and GTA V for PC on highest setttings.

Cooling type: Need good cooling for overclocking, just going to use stock case fan for now, thinking of getting water cooler soon.

Why buying: The one I am using now is a pre built HP computer, which sucks and it has 300 watt PSU and GT 630 and 16 gb ram i7 2600 @ 3.20GHz which I can't live in at all, it is clean from the inside.

Why not adding a screen: Waiting for G-Sync 144Hz 24" screens from BenQ.

Why use high power supply: Going to get custom water cooling system maybe and might put another GPU or more SSD, I will use this for a long time before changing it.

Why not add some fans: I am going to add fans later, for now I can use the stock cooler, not going to overclock at max so it wont overheat stuff. Thinking about getting Corsair Quiet Edition fans.

Where I will buy the components: I found a local shop and two local amazon-like pay at delivery site which sells pc parts, I can go there and buy it instead of amazon or ebay, they have like everything there.

How it looks: I want it looks very good from the side panel, like there is no ugly components inside, I am sure there isn't but need to think about that before buying another component if it looks ugly or no, since I might put LEDs inside.

What I want YOU to do: I want you to take a look at my list below, if you know any suggestions on making it cheaper without big loss of performance, you can tell me a part replacement. I don't want it reaching 4.5K dollars.

Click the like button if I helped you, it only takes 0.5 seconds and does not cost anything!

There is not such thing as "future proof," you can build a computer that can survive through one generation but that's about it before it becomes better just to move on. Honestly I would say spending this much money on a computer is kind of pointless unless it's imperative to your work. There is no way it's going to last three years, technology just moves way too fast these days. $1500 seem to be the range before diminishing returns on your money. 

For example 

1) DDR4 is going to hit commercially later this year

2) Haswell-E is arriving in Q3 '14, not to mention Broadwell

3) GTX 790 launch is eminent. 

Just go for cheapest 6 core, 500 bucks.

Mobo is for extreme overclockers. For half the price you get what you need and more.

You can get 32 gb of quality ram, but you dont need 2666mhz. With higher hz, you also have limited cpu overclocking.

You need 4 tb? If not, then 2gb would suffice. Get caviar black if you want quality and 5 year warranty.

The power supply is overkill. Unless you add another 780ti later, then it might be ok.

Case is your personal preference. 900D is pretty good if you put your system under water. But not if you have only h100. Its huge case.

Linus use a Video on futureproofness. Everything is outdated in there years. Everything. Get an H320. What do You Need a 900D for? Go 750D. Maximum. You dont Need 1200Watts. Get to GPUs and 800Watts. Intel 530 240 or Samsung is the was i'd Go with The ssd. Do You really Need an 3970X? What kind of User Are You? You surr that an 4770k isnt enough?

CPU Cooler:  Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($125.99 @ Microcenter) 

Motherboard:  Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Memory:  Corsair Dominator GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2000 Memory  ($124.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage:  Samsung EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($529.99 @ Amazon) 

Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($719.99 @ NCIX US) 

Case:  Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply:  Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($289.99 @ Microcenter) 

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit)  ($99.98 @ Best Buy) 

Monitor:  Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($549.98 @ Best Buy) 

Total: $4035.87

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-08 10:44 EST-0500)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

this is what i would get and u can choose your own peripherals also what are u going to be doing with this? because u might not need a 6 core.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Pty7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Pty7/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Pty7/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($549.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 Plus ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($243.23 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($283.41 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($209.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($699.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($183.60 @ Mwave)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($549.98 @ Best Buy)
Total: $3135.14
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-08 11:04 EST-0500)

Also, if you want silent system, make sure you get some nice fans.

780 Ti doesn't show it's full potential at 1080p instead you could take a lower end GPU and maybe do a custom water cooling loop

780 Ti doesn't show it's full potential at 1080p instead you could take a lower end GPU and maybe do a custom water cooling loop

He has enough even for 780ti + loop actually. And 780ti is fine with 1080p, dont know where you picked this one up. As far as resolution goes, its 3gb that can be used fully by gpu, with 1080p, anti aliasing and high res textures. And the power of 780ti is perfect to feed 144hz monitor.

your computer will be look empty in 900d, get a smaller case. maybe the 750d, 550d, h630, define XL.

get a sumsung 840 evo 500GB instead of the vector for 50$ more, twice sapce, and better preformance  .

get a seagate sshd 4TB insted of this.

get the h320 instead of the h110.

get the Benq XL2720Z for 144HZ but if you agree an asus PA IPS will look much better

get the RM1000 you don't need 1200W and the RM more quiet

in my opnion get the 4930k

in my opnion get a lower freq ram and 48GB or 64GB capacity.

get the Logitech G700s and the keyboard G710+ or K70

Buy a $2000 pc now and another $2000 pc in 3 years. Much more future proof ;)

I can do that, but upgrading parts separately is better, like little by little I can, or maybe full part change in 3 years, but upgrading one by one can also be good.

There is not such thing as "future proof," you can build a computer that can survive through one generation but that's about it before it becomes better just to move on. Honestly I would say spending this much money on a computer is kind of pointless unless it's imperative to your work. There is no way it's going to last three years, technology just moves way too fast these days. $1500 seem to be the range before diminishing returns on your money. 

For example 

1) DDR4 is going to hit commercially later this year

2) Haswell-E is arriving in Q3 '14, not to mention Broadwell

3) GTX 790 launch is eminent. 

I meant future proof like it will be supported with latest hardware and features, example I know someone bought an extreme i7 for big video editing two years ago, the cpu is still really powerful with latest applications.

I know a new gpu is going to come out really soon but just it can render animations the perfect speed then that is good.

Just go for cheapest 6 core, 500 bucks.

Mobo is for extreme overclockers. For half the price you get what you need and more.

You can get 32 gb of quality ram, but you dont need 2666mhz. With higher hz, you also have limited cpu overclocking.

You need 4 tb? If not, then 2gb would suffice. Get caviar black if you want quality and 5 year warranty.

The power supply is overkill. Unless you add another 780ti later, then it might be ok.

Case is your personal preference. 900D is pretty good if you put your system under water. But not if you have only h100. Its huge case.

Ok I updated the list putting the cheapest 6 core cpu.

The purpose if this is for overclocking, I know I can get the half price, sometimes I like the latest stuff.

I added an 1600MHz RAM corsair 32 gb, I know what to use that ram for, so it is not too much more than what I am planning to use it for.

That 4TB hard drive is for storing backups, files and more.

I am planning to put another 780ti sli later, but not sure, also overclocking uses more watt, but not that much, also planning to put more fans, since now I am just going to use the case stock fan.

I can put water cooling system but it is kind of really expensive and the pump gets broken or damaged easily for long time use, as I also said above I will be putting more fans inside.

Linus use a Video on futureproofness. Everything is outdated in there years. Everything. Get an H320. What do You Need a 900D for? Go 750D. Maximum. You dont Need 1200Watts. Get to GPUs and 800Watts. Intel 530 240 or Samsung is the was i'd Go with The ssd. Do You really Need an 3970X? What kind of User Are You? You surr that an 4770k isnt enough?

Yes I saw that video, I know everything is outdated in three years, I just don't want my computer being like my old LG laptop, I will upgrade it time to time, I am planning to host few game servers on this computer too, I updated the list I added the intel core i7-4930k, I just changed it to 840 Pro series SDD 256 GB, 4770k does not go in my motherboard.

The Ram is overpriced. No Need for 2666mhz. 4TB necessary?

4TB for my backups and storage.

Isn't the extreme version just an overkill? I mean if you wanna throw money, sure it's extreme!!!! but still :D

I am nerfing it, not going to be an extreme but still overkill and extreme and cheaper.

this is what i would get and u can choose your own peripherals also what are u going to be doing with this? because u might not need a 6 core.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Pty7

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Pty7/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Pty7/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor  ($549.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 Plus ATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($243.23 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Patriot Viper 3 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($283.41 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($209.99 @ Adorama)

Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($179.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($699.99 @ Microcenter)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($183.60 @ Mwave)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor  ($549.98 @ Best Buy)

Total: $3135.14

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-08 11:04 EST-0500)

Great tips! :)

Also, if you want silent system, make sure you get some nice fans.

Yes I am planning on getting Noctua fans for later.

It does.

He has enough even for 780ti + loop actually. And 780ti is fine with 1080p, dont know where you picked this one up. As far as resolution goes, its 3gb that can be used fully by gpu, with 1080p, anti aliasing and high res textures. And the power of 780ti is perfect to feed 144hz monitor.

;)

Click the like button if I helped you, it only takes 0.5 seconds and does not cost anything!

your computer will be look empty in 900d, get a smaller case. maybe the 750d, 550d, h630, define XL.

get a sumsung 840 evo 500GB instead of the vector for 50$ more, twice sapce, and better preformance  .

get a seagate sshd 4TB insted of this.

get the h320 instead of the h110.

get the Benq XL2720Z for 144HZ but if you agree an asus PA IPS will look much better

get the RM1000 you don't need 1200W and the RM more quiet

in my opnion get the 4930k

in my opnion get a lower freq ram and 48GB or 64GB capacity.

get the Logitech G700s and the keyboard G710+ or K70

Getting a samsung 840 256 gb SSD

Going to stick with HDD since SSHD is a bit more expensive, I just like HDD, works as I want.

h320? what is that?

I think I better stay in ASUS, right?

I just like to keep it higher watts since I am planning on adding more

Yes I updated the list for an 4930k

32 is enough for my computer, yes I got an 1600hz 32 ram 4 x 8 corsair

Keyboards and mouse is just an opinion almost, just the higher DPI for the mouse, 8200 is more than enough, and that razor keyboard looks good enough too.

Getting a samsung 840 256 gb SSD

Going to stick with HDD since SSHD is a bit more expensive, I just like HDD, works as I want.

h320? what is that?

I think I better stay in ASUS, right?

I just like to keep it higher watts since I am planning on adding more

Yes I updated the list for an 4930k

32 is enough for my computer, yes I got an 1600hz 32 ram 4 x 8 corsair

Keyboards and mouse is just an opinion almost, just the higher DPI for the mouse, 8200 is more than enough, and that razor keyboard looks good enough too.

the benq monitor is better any any way if it can be in your budget,

h320 is by swiftech and it's a triple all in one cpu water cooling, much better than the h110

you sure you can't add the SSHD? it's not that more expesive or the WD black. 

for the future you better get 2k$ now pc and in 3 years another 2k$ pc

edit the main pc on the first post to see the updated one

What a waste of money..

Edits: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2PS7n

Save the extra money for upgrades.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What a waste of money..

Edits: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2PS7n

Save the extra money for upgrades.

That's not enough for hosting 4 game server with 5-6 gb each, the HDD can't store all my file junk, I really have a lot of files, since I plan on storing all my backups and my torrents on there, I will look into that benq monitor.

But nice :)

I don't see a waste, it is all look like worth it. I updated the list too

That's not enough for hosting 4 game server with 5-6 gb each, the HDD can't store all my file junk, I really have a lot of files, since I plan on storing all my backups and my torrents on there, I will look into that benq monitor.

But nice :)

Neither would the system you posted in the OP. You're better off making a separate system for hosting game servers.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

the benq monitor is better any any way if it can be in your budget,

h320 is by swiftech and it's a triple all in one cpu water cooling, much better than the h110

you sure you can't add the SSHD? it's not that more expesive or the WD black. 

for the future you better get 2k$ now pc and in 3 years another 2k$ pc

edit the main pc on the first post to see the updated one

Yes I added a Benq monitor with 144hz refresh rate and some amazing features, I can overclock it to 154hz refresh rate maybe.

I will stay with Corsair, they have better support with devices.

Ok, I added an SSHD since I lowered the price much.

I think I will rebuy-rebuild my rig in 3 years, since that is a long time and sure stuff are outdated.

ok going to update....

Neither would the system you posted in the OP. You're better off making a separate system for hosting game servers.

maybe, but making a new system will be also expensive, thinking of Linux server but windows is going good.

maybe, but making a new system will be also expensive, thinking of Linux server but windows is going good.

Considering what I suggested still has $2000 to spare, I'm pretty sure it'll be fine especially since the server can probably run headless.

Considering what I suggested still has $2000 to spare, I'm pretty sure it'll be fine especially since the server can probably run headless.

Just to make it clear, I am willing to spend less than 4K USD since my budget is big, I don't like to spend for another PC since the server will not run forever, 2k USD is not worth it.

No need for 1200w psu, no need for 900D of you'd just be putting an h100i into it. No need for 32GB of ram unless your doing professional video editing. (I edit huge video files for gaming videos and never have gone over 10,plus you can add more later)

Honestly if you're not doing professional video editing I would just get a 4770k, smaller psu around 750w, half the ram, ditch the h100i and do a custom loop instead in the 900d.

That would save a little money and you could get another monitor or another ssd for raid 0. Again if you're not doing serious, hard-core professional 4k video editing then that's overkill and you'd be better off toning it down a bit. My 3770k Gtx 780 and 16gb of ram edit videos very fast, run games like butter and should last me 3-4 years when all is said and done. Like the other guy said, why buy one 4k build when you could get a 2k build now and another down the road and have comparable performance?