What to upgrade first as a YouTuber?

himynameisryan21

I am wondering what to turn from average to spectacular first. My editing rig (only used for editing), camera (and post processing), lighting & microphones (and post audio processing) are all average. None are spectacular. I am wondering which to upgrade first. Thx, have a great day.

I make tech videos and won't self promote here. (I know this makes it hard to judge)

Sorry for any spelling issues, I'm Aussie and we spell things differently

Gear used: boya bym1(audio is processed), Canon Powershot SX540 HS (colour corrected, but is good if the settings are good) Galaxy S8+ (second camera angle and mic input) in 1080p/60 (4k is unnecessary AND 60fps matches my camera), some photo tripod of of eBay, phone stand I bought ages ago, some random HP laptop that has a Radeon RX530 and i5 8250U and 16gb ram (I can't find the speed, HP blocks that) (runs any footage at 17fps and if I use "optimized media" I get 20fps

Nothing is painful to watch/listen to and I am aware that better gear won't magically get me more views/watch time/subscribers.

ALSO: I use this gear for my other hobbies (making short films, photography, digital art & sometimes music production)

Edited by ryan_lennoxbradley
Corections & more info added, &spelling

I see a lot of people put their computer here

Mine is an m1 macbook air xD

base model

planning to get an m1x mac mini when it exists for heavier video editing

Switched to mac from windows cause most of what I do is either internet browsing, photo editing or video editing and wanted Final Cut cause that magnetic timeline is NOT the same as ripple editing in resolve/premiere/vegas pro (a sad excuse of a NLE btw) and is much faster for MY workflow

Im not a content creator so im just speaking off the top of my head.

but wouldnt it kinda depend on what you feel is lacking? is your audio bad enough to where people arent going to watch? is the video too bad? etc. Without knowing what your videos look like it hard to tell.

The editing rig i would think could be the least needed replacement depending on you. if its older and just takes longer to edit how much is that an issue? If it edits the videos fine but just takes longer and your not on a time crunch to get videos out everyday i would stick with it. assuming your on a budget and can only upgrade one thing.

2 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Im not a content creator so im just speaking off the top of my head.

but wouldnt it kinda depend on what you feel is lacking? is your audio bad enough to where people arent going to watch? is the video too bad? etc. Without knowing what your videos look like it hard to tell.

The editing rig i would think could be the least needed replacement depending on you. if its older and just takes longer to edit how much is that an issue? If it edits the videos fine but just takes longer and your not on a time crunch to get videos out everyday i would stick with it. assuming your on a budget and can only upgrade one thing.

Thanks, will consider this and any other replies that come in.

base model

Switched to mac from windows cause most of what I do is either internet browsing, photo editing or video editing and wanted Final Cut cause that magnetic timeline is NOT the same as ripple editing in resolve/premiere/vegas pro (a sad excuse of a NLE btw) and is much faster for MY workflow

Your business plan. No point spending more money unless you KNOW it's going to make your channel better and therefore pull in more views. Just remember that good equipment doesn't automatically make you or your channel better

You've said everything is average, but what is your current setup? without that we can't really give you suggestions

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

First,  I think it's great you don't want to plug your channel here. 

2nd,  that of course makes it difficult to give an advise! 

3rd. Probably mic / sound,  because generally speaking that's what most youtubers are lacking. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/26/2019 at 12:54 PM, Arika S said:

Your business plan. No point spending more money unless you KNOW it's going to make your channel better and therefore pull in more views. Just remember that good equipment doesn't automatically make you or your channel better

You've said everything is average, but what is your current setup? without that we can't really give you suggestions

Ok, I have added that info, hope it clarifies

base model

On 11/26/2019 at 6:56 PM, Mark Kaine said:

First,  I think it's great you don't want to plug your channel here. 

2nd,  that of course makes it difficult to give an advise! 

3rd. Probably mic / sound,  because generally speaking that's what most youtubers are lacking. 

Thank you, I added more info for future visitors, have a great day/night

base model

21 hours ago, ryan_lennoxbradley said:

Thank you, I added more info for future visitors, have a great day/night

Looking at your setup, I would prioritize mics first, then video. I would get a new camera (depends on budget, but something like a dSLR w/ good video, or a Micro four-thirds, or something similar), and then use your PowerShot as secondary shot and get rid of the phone.

I would leave computer upgrades to the very last thing.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

as a pro yt video viewer (what kinda title is that), i would say you should prioritise scripting, audio over camera.

make a rough script on your topic, not necessary full on speech, but at least make it a framework of the topic.

get a good microphone if possible, means anything that's not the mic attached on your earbuds or headphone.

record the audio seperately, do some easy cuts and edits in audacity, like eq to make tinny sounds thats typical for cheap mic sounds warmer, and some low pass to get rid of noise.

keep in mind most ppl watch video using their phones with tiny screens, they probably can't tell the differency between 480p and 1080p, but for those who wear headphones, a terribly recorded audio could result a dislike, regardless how good your content is.

many creators dont really do much in the visual side, they just deliver their speech over the video. for example this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91_5OOmK1TQ

(warning: political content).

altho, the real advice is to wear a posh british accent.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!