Anyone experienced with Laser Printers?

Princess Luna

Hello there!

My office is in need for a laser printer since we're printing documents pretty much 24/7 and our current printer is too slow becoming a bottleneck on the workflow.

I cannot however break the bank, it has to be one of the cheaper ones; Brazil also lacks a variety of options... researching it leads me to the following units:

image.png.031ab214b84a69d49be460284444e9b6.png

Brother HL-1202 - The cheapest likely not due to lack of Wi-Fi capabilities

-

image.png.75fd3f3434c4c4278d4f39248ab4d402.png

HP M15W - Second cheapest, has Wi-Fi functionality

-

image.png.695e7189a9717ca4bd63510a30fdb39f.png

HP M102W - Third cheapest, has Wi-Fi functionality

-

image.thumb.png.dbd36b6ca9cbdc8437237bd4f8bafaee.png

Brother 1602 Laser - The most expensive one, no mentions about it having Wi-Fi, I think it doesn't so probably what I'm after.

-

I would love to hear what any one has to say here, if you know some other good value unit you can mention it for me to look for but have in mind the Brazilian market is fairly constrained... I'm

going to wards the HP M102W because it looks to be of solid built and has Wi-Fi functionality.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Luna said:

I know HP makes good printers (or used to), I've never heard of Brother before though.

We use Canon at work and it's really fast with good quality :) 

It's 2019 what are you doing printing that much?

Can you tell us what you are printing? and how many pages per day/week/month? You may be better off getting a service contract where they lease you the printer and maintain it than buying a home office type printer.

If you are doing the same print again and again, or could cope with a 24 hour turn around then you will likely find that a printing company will cost you less to use than doing it yourself.

HP lasers printers have been nothing but a bad experience for me at work.

When they print, they print. When they don't, you have to restart it to get it working at all.. That's with a model similar to M15W and with an older version multifunctional.

I have very little experience with Brother's offerings though; but from what I tried it just works, which is pretty good (works for printing, don't have experience with scanning and I assume copying will work fine).

If at all possible to get, I would recommend Lexmark. I have a Lexmark C2425DW at home, which is a color unit (with no scanning/copying functions). But it doesn't look like they have similarly priced options..

You should definitely consider the amount you will print and thus toner costs. The most expensive printer could easily become the cheapest if you print enough to make larger toners worth it.

Just check price per page on their toners, factor in how much you will print in a month/year and add the price of the printer onto the supply cost.

That will usually give a much more accurate cost figure to you.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Brother HL-L2300D + Cheap $6 toners are what we user for beater laser printers. $80 on sale usually and then you don't feel bad when they break in 3 years. Not sure what pricing is like where you are though.

image.png.3749a24a9d280ed7569024b5d53d75a4.png

I would stay far away from HP printers, I've had nothing but major headaches from using them over the years. Brother on the other hand are great laser printers. I would definitely recommend getting that. With Black Friday and Cyber Monday coming up you can usually get great deals on them; I'm sure Amazon will have tons of their models on sale for a good price.