Cheapest Home Server Build

Go to solution Solved by Slayer3032,

Buy a cheap Optiplex or other workstation and slap some used drives into it with like FreeNAS or something. 3TB drives are like $30~ on ebay sometimes and 1TB drives can often be found at local recyclers for $5~.

So whats the cheapest way to make a Network home server i would just need a few TB

Thanks,Thomas

Buy a cheap Optiplex or other workstation and slap some used drives into it with like FreeNAS or something. 3TB drives are like $30~ on ebay sometimes and 1TB drives can often be found at local recyclers for $5~.

8 minutes ago, 8-bitmediapro said:

So whats the cheapest way to make a home server i would just need a few TB

Thanks,Thomas

RasPi with Linux and a big HDD attached?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

RasPi with Linux and a big HDD attached?

This is the definitive answer.

... maybe if you ONLY want storage, you could just go with a network enabled enclosure for less, but you're not going to be able to use it for anything else.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

Just now, Vitamanic said:

This is the definitive answer.

... maybe if you ONLY want storage, you could just go with a network enabled enclosure for less, but you're not going to be able to use it for anything else.

I think @Slayer3032's answer is the more sensible one, but if your only criteria is "as cheap as possible"... ?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Buy a $60 refurbished computer from Newegg or other places, add a couple of hard drives in it.

ex: https://www.newegg.com/hp-compaq-pro-6300-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-001E-3U4S0

HP Compaq Pro 6300 - Small Form Factor PC

Part#: C9P83US#ABA

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz 2nd Generation Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Hard Drive: 250GB

DVD-RW Drive

You can add at least two drives, one in the floppy location and one in the place of the DVD-rw drive, you can replace the 250 gb drive with a bigger one...

A raspberri pi is 30-40$ and it's messy, this way you get a pc you're comfortable using with Windows and you can easily follow guides to install FreeNAS on it or UnRAID