Would you get a Note 9 or s10e?

Sharif

Provided the price was the same.

I have been wanting to move on from my LG G6, it's sluggishness is getting to me, but I still want the wide angle camera and more importantly a headphone jack which both provide.

Random question apart from that, people who own either of the phone, do instagram, messenger, snapchat camera app work horribly? 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

100% the Note9.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

42 minutes ago, Sharif said:

Random question apart from that, people who own either of the phone, do instagram, messenger, snapchat camera app work horribly? 

i have a note 9, and although i dont really post much to snapchat, instagram or messenger the camera on the phone is quite good

Note 9 user here.. not a heavy user.

While Ram management of all phones get their own flavor of tweaks and how it works seems different between devices..

^I've seen a 8gb phone with worse management and I've seen a 4gb phone with better Ram management and you can't change the patterns they use...

Ram Performance profiling configs would be nice...

I'm also not a huge multitasker (I maybe have 2-3 apps maX running)

Never skips a beat with my usage patterns.

Media consumption and basic conversion/image video tool tweaks, random stuff but never heavy heavy usage.

PubG plays great, COD plays great on the Note9 and that's all I ever wanted besides Netflix and YouTube.

Wanted a great NoNotch screen, the Note9 is brilliant for Media.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Note 9 should be better. I can compare you the specs, i didn't have neither of them do.

Screen: Super AMOLED 514 PPI 6.4" on Note. Dynamic AMOLED 465 PPI 5.8" on S10e.
Camera: Dual Cameras on both. Selfie cam is 2MP higher on S10e, although 8MP on Note is enough. The Note has the really cool Slow-Mo and Super-Slow-Mo options.
Battery: Is 900mAh higher on the Note.
Other Features: Iris Scanner on the Note, no such thing on the S. Fingerprint sensor is on both, although the S10e positioning is on the side while the Note sticks with a rear fingerprint scanner. Other then that the Note 9 comes with the S Pen.

13 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Do you want a big or small phone?

Want stylus writing support?

Opinion of curved screen?

What do you currently have and how does it feel in the hand?

How do you feel about its battery life?

Are you able to get both new?

Six questions. Count your answers.

Your money. You will be using it. So only your opinion, wants and needs, apply here. Unless...

Stylus comes in handy when posting stories from time to time, never really used a curved screen phone in the past. Heard as nice as they look, there aren't that practical.

My current phone has a bulky spigen case on it, will likely get the same case again, not really worried about how slippery the phone is.

Last thing is, the reason I said provided the price is same, will be getting either of them refurbished from my carrier (Noticed the ads lately and they both come around the same price) 

Note 9 seems like a better buy if I can find one during december

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

15 hours ago, WickedStarfish said:

i have a note 9, and although i dont really post much to snapchat, instagram or messenger the camera on the phone is quite good

Same with my current phone, it's just that the 3rd party camera apps can't seem to properly utilized the camera, find myself taking picture with the camera app and uploading it manually. 

Not to mention they all use the center for both focus and metering, it's pretty inconvenient 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

14 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Note 9 user here.. not a heavy user.

While Ram management of all phones get their own flavor of tweaks and how it works seems different between devices..

^I've seen a 8gb phone with worse management and I've seen a 4gb phone with better Ram management and you can't change the patterns they use...

Ram Performance profiling configs would be nice...

I'm also not a huge multitasker (I maybe have 2-3 apps maX running)

Never skips a beat with my usage patterns.

Media consumption and basic conversion/image video tool tweaks, random stuff but never heavy heavy usage.

PubG plays great, COD plays great on the Note9 and that's all I ever wanted besides Netflix and YouTube.

Wanted a great NoNotch screen, the Note9 is brilliant for Media.

My number one reason for moving on to samsung is that they now have wide angle lenses and proper frequent update history compared to LG. My last 3 phones were LG phones, because of their value proposition, but it's always the same story after a year passes, starts to get sluggish and updates are yearly for the most part with barely any new added features.  Not really big on multitasking, but I love the whole no compromise approach the note 9 has compared to the note 10.

The only thing, that makes me want to consider the s10e is the snapdragon 855 being the newer revision and has wide angle lens as the second camera compared to the note 9 having the telephoto I barely find myself using

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

12 hours ago, huilun02 said:

If you could use the stylus then yeah the Note 9 would make more sense.

But then why are you considering the S10e?

Mainly because newer processor the 855 and it has the wide angle lens while the note 9 has the telephoto instead. I kinda got used to having a super wide lens on my current phone.

I could also just move to the G7 and spend half the price, it's like $180 on koodo on tab and if I sell my current phone, will likely get 120ish back, will be fine for another 2 years lol 

Won't be able to try something new going that route, lg doesn't seem to change much in the G series. my favourite improvement from the G5 to the G6 was the literal downgrade in the front camera 

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

12 hours ago, huilun02 said:

The processor should not be a deciding factor. They are both flagships.

You need to weigh all the pros and cons of each device and decide which one is better for you.

Well that came out of nowhere

What was your objective again?

Honestly, you just pointed out the important question, I am looking for a change, try out a different company, something with many features as possible, AKA Note 9 fits the bill in my budget. 

Thanks for reminding me of my objective lol 

I was looking at the s10e, because it felt like a safe bet as it's very similar to the G8 which is newer, the side fingerprint sensor was something I really loved on one of Sony's older phone. Note 9 is still overall pretty packed, with a huge battery too, regarding the telephoto will be nice change creativity wise from a wide angle, besides I can always use an actual camera if I am feeling too finicky.

Thanks again! 

I'll keep my eye out for the Note 9 or Pixel 3 during this black friday (Randomly threw in the pixel even though it has a single camera, their polished software and really quick update is a huge yes for me)  

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

28 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Well you can always change your objective. I am never against spending less because personally I would never pay more than $500 for a phone even if I could. Although I would not consider the G7 myself because of the huge notch, LCD screen, and lackluster battery.

Personally I wouldn't either, the first I'd do is go to the setting and turn the black bar on top lol 

What I find amusing is the fact they they still use a LCD screen.

Issue with the G7, I know it'll do the job fine for another year or 2, but it's starting to get tiring with the same old brand and nothing improving over the years, LG created their own software update division last year I think, still don't see any results of that

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

Pixel 4 Is $599 on Black Friday for base model.

Pixel 4XL Is $699 on Black Friday for base model.

Pixel 3 is literally $499 on Black Friday for base model. (Thats a bargain)

Pixel 3XL Is $599 on Black Friday for base model.

Pixel 3a Is only $299 with Black Friday for base model. (Thats crazy cheap for a Pixel Experience)

Pixel 3a XL Is a little bit more expensive, at $379 for base model. (That isnt super cheap like the 3a, but it is very cheap)

If you would ask me, $299 for a polished android experience with allmost immediate updates is a giant bargain. But is your choice.

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

If you would ask me, 64GB of storage with no option to expand is a death sentence.

Cloud storage? Relies on internet access. Away from home? Data usage to save (upload) and data usage to access (download). Out of cell service? Good luck

Also, 4GB of RAM, mid range chipset, battery leaves much to be desired.

None of the Pixels have stylus or active stylus support. None of the Pixels prior to the 4th gen have ultrawide lens. None of the Pixels prior to the 4th gen have more than 4GB of RAM. None of the Pixels other than the 3a/XL have a headphone jack.

I was really disappointed in google letting a no headphone jack trend as being more important than pure functionality.

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD