Do you think this res will fit?

Hi, I'm planning a new build in the phanteks evolv shift. I wanted to watercool it because of the poor airflow, and am wondering if the new flat reservoirs from ekwb (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-kinetic-flt-120-ddc-pwm-d-rgb-plexi) would fit where the 2.5" drive bays are in the shift (http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-Shift.html). What do you think?

17 minutes ago, iPC said:

Hi, I'm planning a new build in the phanteks evolv shift. I wanted to watercool it because of the poor airflow, and am wondering if the new flat reservoirs from ekwb (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-kinetic-flt-120-ddc-pwm-d-rgb-plexi) would fit where the 2.5" drive bays are in the shift (http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-Shift.html). What do you think?

Also, is it possible to have the fill port double as the drain port and just turn the PC upside down?

7 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Wouldn't the Shift Air be better for air intake or is it the same if you replace that glass with mesh?

It looks cute and amazingly, not horrible like most new cases.

I'm pretty sure it's just the regular one with mesh panels. My theory is that I can always buy the mesh panels if the tempered glass makes the thermals too bad. Any thoughts on the other questions?

How do you want it to fit? They clearly have the measurements on the site. So I’d start there. Also factor in the pump unless you aren’t gonna use the included one. 

If you loop is designed to use the fill as a drain that can work all the same. Comes down to design, not just where holes are. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

How do you want it to fit? They clearly have the measurements on the site. So I’d start there. Also factor in the pump unless you aren’t gonna use the included one. 

If you loop is designed to use the fill as a drain that can work all the same. Comes down to design, not just where holes are. 

I want it to fit where the 2.5" ssd mounts are. There's a 140mm fan opposite and it looks symmetrical, so I think it could work. Only worried about the depth.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

It's the same kind of glass you can find in an oven to prevent the heat from escaping so you can imagine what the thermals will be like.

I don't like EK so I can't say anything about their products.

Why don't you like EK?

And yeah, I guess I'll see what the temps are though and I an always switch out the panels.

5 minutes ago, iPC said:

Why don't you like EK?

And yeah, I guess I'll see what the temps are though and I an always switch out the panels.

It has bad airflow for air cooling, IDK how it performs for watercooling, AFAIK you put one small rad on the right and another on the bottom, then the res on the side? Looking at the res it does seem the 120mm one would fit, and the DDC pump should be fine for a small loop (D5s are more dependable and quieter, but also massive overkill for most systems and much bulkier). Did you account for the PSU as well though? I think that mounts on the left as well. 

EDIT: Here's a madlad who did a custom loop in the Shift X, basically a taller Shift (don't necro the post tho, tis from over a year ago): 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

It has bad airflow for air cooling, IDK how it performs for watercooling, AFAIK you put one small rad on the right and another on the bottom, then the res on the side? Looking at the res it does seem the 120mm one would fit, and the DDC pump should be fine for a small loop (D5s are more dependable and quieter, but also massive overkill for most systems and much bulkier). Did you account for the PSU as well though? I think that mounts on the left as well. 

I'd be mounting two 120mm rads on the right and bottom right. The reason I chose the DDC was mainly for space, as I'm trying to mount the flat res on the top left opposite the preinstalled 140mm fan, and the D5 version is bulkier (86 vs 58mm).

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

EDIT: Here's a madlad who did a custom loop in the Shift X, basically a taller Shift (don't necro the post tho, tis from over a year ago): 

Part of the reason I'm trying to keep it in the Shift (regular) is because I want to be able to transport this to and from college. Also, hopefully I'd be able to install a third 120mm radiator, I saw a post of someone who did that.

4 minutes ago, iPC said:

I'd be mounting two 120mm rads on the right and bottom right. The reason I chose the DDC was mainly for space, as I'm trying to mount the flat res on the top left opposite the preinstalled 140mm fan, and the D5 version is bulkier (86 vs 58mm).

So you're thinking this:

684322336_ScreenShot2019-11-19at2_49_03PM.png.8396856f600f743da4bdf7d60a27c7a1.png

Clearance with tubes/fittings and PSU cables will be reeeeeeeally close, but it should be doable. Although you can build a more compact system with an AIO or air cooler in other cases like the dancase/ghost S1 type lads, something like a Node 202 depending on CPU (most it can fit is a Cryorig C7 or Noctua NH-L9i/a), or a Node 304. Traveling with a custom looped rig is iffy IMO, though it would look super cool. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

With the price of that ek unit, you could get a regular small res and get the cpu pump combo. Can’t remember if it was Alphacool who offered it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

So you're thinking this:

684322336_ScreenShot2019-11-19at2_49_03PM.png.8396856f600f743da4bdf7d60a27c7a1.png

Clearance with tubes/fittings and PSU cables will be reeeeeeeally close, but it should be doable. Although you can build a more compact system with an AIO or air cooler in other cases like the dancase/ghost S1 type lads, something like a Node 202 depending on CPU (most it can fit is a Cryorig C7 or Noctua NH-L9i/a), or a Node 304. Traveling with a custom looped rig is iffy IMO, though it would look super cool. 

I probably could do something else more practically, but I just love the look of this case. Also I really want to do a custom loop. I'm using the same rads as another guy who did dual rads and found that he could actually fit a thicker rad on the side and the PSU would be fine (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/phanteks-evolv-shift-custom-loop.3430/). I'd definitely drain the loop everytime I flew with it, and maybe even build a custom flight case later down the line. Also trying to figure out loop routing if anyone wants to help

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

With the price of that ek unit, you could get a regular small res and get the cpu pump combo. Can’t remember if it was Alphacool who offered it. 

What do you mean?

3 hours ago, iPC said:

What do you mean?

I mean get a normal res and a cpu block pump combo.