YouTube Implements COPPA For Creators After Being Fined by FTC

jiyeon
11 minutes ago, GodSeph said:

Hard to imagine when Youtube was first built, advertisers are starting to become smart to the online world. They are paying the bills so you have to play by their rules. If you do not like their rules you are free to go to another video platform. Yes they do data harvest but the way YouTubers get paid is through advertisers paying google. Google is not going to pay out YouTubers based on its data harvesting that is done. 

Youtube was built to make money from advertising.  nothing has changed other than google harvesting data from it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Youtube was built to make money from advertising.  nothing has changed other than google harvesting data from it.

The change is that advertisers understanding of its power on the platform. Again if you want their money you will have to do what they want. They are paying the YouTubers bills. Unless there is a mass exodus of huge YouTubers to another platform nothing will change the minds of google. Since you are using their platform to make videos complaining about their video platform you getting paid from. Dont bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind. The key issue is that YouTubers want the money but dont want to follow how other mediums work. Also so many YouTubers have been breaking COPPA for so long YouTube is starting to crunch down on it and everyone will have to get used to it or go to another platform. All youTubers are free to go somewhere else if they dont like the rules there. This is key for capitalism. 

1 minute ago, GodSeph said:

The change is that advertisers understanding of its power on the platform. Again if you want their money you will have to do what they want. They are paying the YouTubers bills. Unless there is a mass exodus of huge YouTubers to another platform nothing will change the minds of google. Since you are using their platform to make videos complaining about their video platform you getting paid from. Dont bite the hand that feeds you comes to mind. The key issue is that YouTubers want the money but dont want to follow how other mediums work.

You can keep saying it again and again and again,  but advertising or the financial traits of advertising haven't changed.  Anyone expecting things to stay the same when societal expectations dictate where/how advertising spend their cash is setting themselves up for failure.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think it's important to remember that this isn't YouTube's fault- this is the last thing they'd want to do- it is the fault of the outdated law. It's long overdue an update. Also, a quick hint- I found that after my video was flagged as Made for Kids by YouTube sticking a little disclaimer in the description makes it go away: my disclaimer went something like this:

"NOTICE: IN COMPLIANCE WITH YOUTUBE'S NEW POLICY, THIS VIDEO IS NOT MADE FOR KIDS."

-- Removed by me -- Stuff is changing at speed of light, and was certain yesterday, is not so much today.

-- Removed by me -- Stuff is changing at speed of light, and was certain yesterday, is not so much today.

1 hour ago, PixelPol said:

they kind of see that the law is so obscure and vague (it is a relief when you see your own takes at it kind of confirmed) as was done at the start of internet, almost (1998, effective since 2000). Probably there are other reasons, too. And seems the ones writing it weren't very tech savvy, and neither could you say that the tech was the same or even similar to the world we have now.

Then they should go use their voice to change the wording of the law instead of complaining that YouTube is doing this. Making multiple videos complaining they cant market to kids anymore isnt helping anyone and is mostly to make reaction videos for people to watch. We should be listing ones that shows actual facts about the COPPA wording and to go out and use your votes and voice to change it at your FTC. Blaming YouTube for is not helping. They did arbitrarily start following this but there could have been alot in the background we do not know about. There could have been some high up members at Google trying to protect the videos. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. 

Use you voice to get the COPPA thing updated instead of having YouTubers making complaining videos without much information other then "IM LOSING MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL?????!!????" maybe "How to help against COPPA and update the law" Not to say every Video does this but there are alot that are.