Is it Possible to get a laptop SSD and put into a Desktop

Kevork Sarkis

My Dads laptop broke and we're wondering if we can recover the data from the drive(if it still works) by somehow putting it into a desktop. If you have any ideas please put it in and if you suggest we need other gadgets or an adapter pls put links to the product. Thank you

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

you know... just connect a sata power and a sata cable to it?

so laptop SSD's have same size sata and data cables

Thanks guys. Didn't know laptop SSD's had the same sata and data cables as desktop one's. really appreciate it.

There are adapters for everything.

It's probably 2.5" SATA, in 2hich case you plug it in like a normal HDD/SSD.

It might be M.2 SATA or PCIE, in which case your motherboards needs to have the right connector.

It could be MSATA, in which case you will need an adapter that goes to USB or SATA.

But it will be possible to read out the drive through your desktop, provided the drive is alright and you know the password.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

58 minutes ago, Kevork Sarkis said:

so laptop SSD's have same size sata and data cables

correct, 2.5 inch is 2.5 inch

1 hour ago, Kevork Sarkis said:

Thanks guys. Didn't know laptop SSD's had the same sata and data cables as desktop one's. really appreciate it.

Some do, but not all. There are different types of interfaces and depending on what type your laptop uses you may need an adapter to be able to connect it to your desktop. Depending on the laptop the storage may even be soldered directly on to the motherboard, as is the case with a lot of cheaper laptops.

Do you know the model of the drive or the laptop?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, Kevork Sarkis said:

Also consoles.  I have my old PS3  "laptop" hdd in my PC right now. 

You just need a sata cable for power and data, Windows should be able to read the drive just fine provided it's still functional. 

@Spotty huh, I didn't know that.  I used to work in a laptop repair shop during holidays and "repaired" probably at least 100 laptops,   the drives were all the same type basically - no cables you just stuck them in there. 

I knew RAM can be soldered sometimes, but never seen that either :o

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer