Good vpn?

Josh crystal_cogs

Hey guys I've recently got a new laptop and was wondering with me going on public networks for collage work and other public networks i want to defend and hide myself from who ever might want to interfere.

Any good reliable VPNs that would be good to use?

i am currently using the free version of glassware and I'm using the out the box Norton security but i only have 27 days left.   

i am also looking for anything to check for network malware such as anything using my camera.

The LTT team are always advertising for PIA, they may have a discount code or soemthing.

All I can say is VyprVPN is complete shit and NordVPN has been pretty good.

That’s all i’ve used.

Depends on how secure you want to be. Any VPN based in the US for example is bound to US surveillance laws, so technically they are not fully secure.

ExpressVPN is generally considered the best.

Its based outside all the worldwide surveillance alliances (5, 9, and 14 eyes alliances)

has good speed

many servers

reasonable cost.

etc

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

7 hours ago, Josh crystal_cogs said:

Hey guys I've recently got a new laptop and was wondering with me going on public networks for collage work and other public networks i want to defend and hide myself from who ever might want to interfere.

Any good reliable VPNs that would be good to use?

i am currently using the free version of glassware and I'm using the out the box Norton security but i only have 27 days left.   

i am also looking for anything to check for network malware such as anything using my camera.

When I was in collage we could sign in to a secure SSID with our account creds supplied by the collage. Which is what I did, of course the school would have access to your data as its flowing thru their nework. To be clear, some colleages might not be OK with VPN use by students. 

Now as far as any other network, yeah, its probably a good idea to use a VPN, as anyone around you can intercept the packets coming to or from your computer. The VPN would encypt that traffic making it very difficult for anyone to see what your doing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, imbrock said:

The LTT team are always advertising for PIA, they may have a discount code or soemthing.

because pia pays ltt

shills cant trust

Free vpns aren't great if your priority is security and privacy - they might giving out your data to make ends meet. Better to save up and pay for one - something like NordVPN, ExpressVPN ir even PIA. Best do your own research and figure out what works best for you. 

Not sure what to recommend for anti malware stuff though - usually common sense is enough - aka not downloading suspicious files, not giving out permission to various websites and not using random USB sticks found on the street. I use (have installed) Malwarebytes and it seems ok.