Need recommendations.

Eryyie

So at my job I need to build a bottleneck pc just to display to ppl what not to do when building pcs. 

I need people to suggest some of the most fucked up pc combinations you can think of. 

Taking any suggestions. 

?

14 minutes ago, Xiee said:

Intel i5-2400

4GB DDR3

2070 Super / 2080ti

Thank you!

Any low end CPU with high end GPU.

64GB of RAM with a low end CPU so it's not even used properly by softwares that would use that RAM.

Low end GPU with high end CPU...

But in the end, a bottleneck is always about your use case. If all you do is browse chrome, never closing a single tab ever, maybe a low end CPU with a lot of RAM wouldn't be that bad.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 hours ago, amdorintel said:

why not a simple i3 1st gen

with a high end gpu

and 2GB of ram

A phenom 2 x4 955 with 8gb of ram, and an Rx 580. Beautiful

C2D machines are cheap, pair them with a 1060 or 1070 would work.

Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia Quadro P400 | Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro AX | Klevv Bolt XR 2x8GB DDR4-3600 CL18

Acer Chromebook C720 @ GalliumOS

The cheapass solution:

Any reasonably modern CPU/mobo with a garbage GPU.  A trip to your local computer recycler should produce something suitably awful.  PCIE 2.0 of possible. Even pcie 4.0 will run 2.0 hardware. Don’t pay over $10.  With a bit of luck  you could get something even slower than the GPU built into the CPU.  Bonus points for single thick half height GPU cards.

It can be done the other way as well but it’s harder.  There was very little development in CPU performance for a long time so finding a really slow machine.  You’ll need something old.  Anything dual core is likely going to work.  Again computer recycler.  You’ll want a big card on it.  These aren’t cheap.  You get a nicely damaging hit with really old PCIE.  If you can find a PCIE 1.0 mobo with a dual core CPU on it even a cheapo modern card will be totally bogged.  A PCIE 3.0 card will still run on PCIE 1.0. It won’t do it very fast though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, XAIXER said:

Pentium 1 with the last AGP GPU.

Definitely a win, but is one even findable?  That’s some antique stuff

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Assuming you want to use modern hardware, I would hope so, my recommendations are below. You can swap out the CPU's, GPU's, drives, run 1 DIMM then 2, and show customers pretty much every do and don't. Create an image and use it on all three drives to demonstrate the differences. Hope this helps. 

Purchase:

• Z390 motherboard
  • 16GB of RAM 2x8
  • SATA SSD
  • NVMe SSD
  • SATA HDD
  • i3 9100F
  • i7 9700
  • GTX 1660 Super
  • GTX 1050 

i am sure the op doesnt want to spend more then $50 or $80 total for the pc, the gpu he can reuse!

15 hours ago, Ehmc130 said:

Assuming you want to use modern hardware, I would hope so, my recommendations are below. You can swap out the CPU's, GPU's, drives, run 1 DIMM then 2, and show customers pretty much every do and don't. Create an image and use it on all three drives to demonstrate the differences. Hope this helps. 

Purchase:

• Z390 motherboard
  • 16GB of RAM 2x8
  • SATA SSD
  • NVMe SSD
  • SATA HDD
  • i3 9100F
  • i7 9700
  • GTX 1660 Super
  • GTX 1050 

This is a very good idea, i never thought of this LMFAO

Thank you! 

20 hours ago, amdorintel said:

i am sure the op doesnt want to spend more then $50 or $80 total for the pc, the gpu he can reuse!

A $50 to $80 PC barely capable of booting into Windows doesn't really demo anything other than legacy hardware is one big bottleneck.

4 hours ago, Eryyie said:

This is a very good idea, i never thought of this LMFAO

Thank you! 

My recommendation was based on the assumption that this company you're working for is either building pre-configured or barebones PC's, or is somehow retail related. You mentioned no specific budget. Care to clarify? 

On 11/10/2019 at 3:10 PM, Eryyie said:

I need to build a bottleneck pc just to display to ppl

1 hour ago, Ehmc130 said:

A $50 to $80 PC barely capable of booting into Windows doesn't really demo anything other than legacy hardware is one big bottleneck.

no mention of the bottle neck needing to be 5 year old components

7 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

no mention of the bottle neck needing to be 5 year old components

I'm not going to start going into architecture, instruction, and node process. I used Intel as an example, X570 would have been perfectly fine as well.